• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fire-4-Effect

Aug 3, 2008
    Frederick, Md
    I think I have finally settled on a good personal defense / home defense setup that works for me. I hesitate to really refer to it as self defense because the term implies that I will be carrying it and we all know that in Maryland we have been denied that 2nd amendment right. So, the truth is that it will probably sit in my bedroom safe more than anything else. With that said I am applying for my Fla CCW and will have the opportunity to carry in other states where it is legal. I have also carried at home from time to time but it seems a bit silly and my wife thinks I am just a big kid who likes his toys. She likens me to a 8 year old playing cowboys and indians. That is actually not that far from the truth sometimes... :)

I have chosen an XD-45 4" service model. I went back and fourth for a while on whether I should get the compact 4" since it is the same gun with a shorter grip but after holding both I decided the compact grip was just too little for my big hands and that even though I could shoot it with the extended mag that made it the same as the service model what good would it do if I was not proficient with it in the config I wanted to carry.

I have added Crimson Trace grips to the pistol. This was the one big surpirse for me. I always thought lasers were novelties and actually still believe that most of them are. I took a chance on the Crimson Trace since I am an instructor and get a good discount and man was I happy! First and foremost, the laser is brighter than anyone I have ever seen! I have witnessed people bring their lasers to Cresap and try to shoot with them only to see them fall off the rail, be so dim you cannot see them or simply become a nuisance right away. If I have a dollar for everytime someone gave up and just went to iron sights, well, you get the idea. I had none of those issues with Crimson Trace.

I also wanted a holster to go with the gun so on those rare occasions that I could carry I would have a holster to use. I first started out looking at OWB holsters. A good friend of mine recommended a Don Hume. They look very nice. I also had my eyes on the Blackhawk Serpa but the Pistol would not fit properly with the laser so I did more research. The more I thought about it the more I did ant to be able to truly conceal and I do not believe that is as easy with an OWB holster. I have always been skeptical of the IWB holsters because they either looked awkward or seemed difficult to wear. I read a lot of forums and reviews. I spoke to a police friend who lives in Florida and some of the Virginia guys that are members of Cresap. I decided to take a shot and buy a Crossbreed Supertuck! Man, am I glad I did!

Now, I am not going to tell you that it is really comfortable and the best thing since sliced bread. I do not care what planet you come from, sticking a 4.5 inch x 5 inch x .5 inch 2 pound gun in your waste is never going to feel natural until you have done it for an extended period of time. With that out of the way I can tell you that I am very happy with the Crossbreed. It really is much more comfortable than I thought and does hide the gun very well. Like any holster it will take a little getting used to but I wore it around the house for the past hour and it really feels very good. You definately know it is there but it is not bothersome. Much better than the OWB holster I have for my CZ-75b. The fact that there is a big hunk of leather up against your skin just makes it feel good. The one downside is that I cannot wear pants that were tight on me with it on. This is not an issue as I like to have them loose anyways and most of my pants work fine with it on. Some say buy 1 size to big in pants but this is not needed at least for me.

On to the flashlight... I decided against the rail mounted light primarily for safety reasons. I chose a Fenix LD20 flashlight. WOW, is that thing bright! Good deal for $59.00.

So, what have you chosen to keep near to you at night and for what reasons?

Thanks

Phil

Attachments

• xd45-2.jpg
      xd45-2.jpg
      84.7 KB · Views: 1,207

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Great minds might think alike. I too have an XD45 and a Supertuck holster. My home defense setup consists primarily of two 100 pound dogs and 8 00 buckshot shells in a Mossberg 500. If you get past that, then you've got to deal with my wife.

Good luck, goblin!

Fire-4-Effect

Aug 3, 2008
    Frederick, Md
    Great minds might think alike. I too have an XD45 and a Supertuck holster. My home defense setup consists primarily of two 100 pound dogs and 8 00 buckshot shells in a Mossberg 500. If you get past that, then you've got to deal with my wife.

Good luck, goblin!

Goblin?? :cool:

Hmmm... Maybe I need myself a good dog and a mean 'ole wife... Might be cheaper! But then again, probably not...

Hey, I know it is all silly... I feel so much like one of those Internet forum guys after posting this. One of the nameless characters that spout off about caliber choices and the like... Maybe I should change my screen name to something like OneBadDude or something like it...

:)

Phil

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Phil:
    I always enjoy reading your commentary. You make everything so interesting.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I carry my M&P 9c or GLOCK 30 in a Desantis cozy partner strong side, with a spare mag in a buck knife holster weak side and small cyclops LED flashlight during just about all of my waking hours. Day or night I am never more than 1 room away from a hidden long gun with my Yugo AK as my primary HD gun, if I don't have enoug time to grab it, I also have a laser flashlight equipped XD(M) right there if I am working, or sleeping. Amy prefers her 20ga 870 youth loaded with buck, she is not a huge fan of centerfire handguns, but has gotten pretty good with her scattergun. Then there is a host of passive and active security to make unwanted entry into my home as tough and noticeable as possible, then more stuff that makes it easy to locate the threat and provide cover. There is also a decent emergency plan, mostly for fire or medical emergencies, but plenty adequate for an intruder. If all goes well they will be followed by motion detecting lights as soon as they enter the property, try to enter through windows with polymer burglar shield, or doors barred with 5/8" round stock, and by some miracle if they get in they won't be able to see where anyone is except for the dog( nowhere to go but into the light, while I hide in the dark) and won't be able to hear anything other than the first shot. Hopefully all the time and expense keeping up on it never has to be tested.

Fire-4-Effect

Aug 3, 2008
    Frederick, Md
    I carry my M&P 9c or GLOCK 30 in a Desantis cozy partner strong side, with a spare mag in a buck knife holster weak side and small cyclops LED flashlight during just about all of my waking hours. Day or night I am never more than 1 room away from a hidden long gun with my Yugo AK as my primary HD gun, if I don't have enoug time to grab it, I also have a laser flashlight equipped XD(M) right there if I am working, or sleeping. Amy prefers her 20ga 870 youth loaded with buck, she is not a huge fan of centerfire handguns, but has gotten pretty good with her scattergun. Then there is a host of passive and active security to make unwanted entry into my home as tough and noticeable as possible, then more stuff that makes it easy to locate the threat and provide cover. There is also a decent emergency plan, mostly for fire or medical emergencies, but plenty adequate for an intruder. If all goes well they will be followed by motion detecting lights as soon as they enter the property, try to enter through windows with polymer burglar shield, or doors barred with 5/8" round stock, and by some miracle if they get in they won't be able to see where anyone is except for the dog( nowhere to go but into the light, while I hide in the dark) and won't be able to hear anything other than the first shot. Hopefully all the time and expense keeping up on it never has to be tested.

Wow... is this your home or FBI headquarters... When I was reading your post all I could think about was that new Mission Impossible movie with Tom Cruise (shudder...) when he had to get the NOC list...

Ok, I am being a little dramatic. Sounds to me like a bad guy who chooses to mess with you would have one heck of a bad day!

Phil

Fallschirmjaager

Consumer Whore
    Aug 16, 2009
    Airstrip One/MoCo
    Sig P220 DA/SA with a Laser Devices light/laser combo and two 8 round magazines full of Federal Personal Defense Hydra-Shok sits by my bed.

A Glock 19C with two 15 round magazines full of Hornady 147gr TAP Law Enforcement in a Galco IWB holster is available for any occasion on which I can carry.

A Mossberg 590A1 20" with Remington Slugger 2 3/4" Rifled Slugs and my own M-4gery with a RRA lower and mutt upper with 14 30 round magazines full of Black Hills 77gr BTHP or WWB Q3131 55gr FMJ are both ready for SHTF situations.

Nearly every magazine I own for every weapon I own is loaded to capacity, and they're all in the safe right next to the arsenal, in case of zombies.

jwalker3181

Aspiring Zombie Hunter
    Sep 14, 2008
    Baltimore
    First my doors, second my dog, third me... and you don't want to meet me because the xdm eats hydra-shok and spits fire

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    I keep my Glock 22 w/ a rail mounted sig sauer light/laser combo beside the bed. Loaded up with .40cal federal hydra shocks. I also recently added a set of tru-glow tritium night sights. It should do the trick.
    Siglaserlightcomboonglock.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Wow... is this your home or FBI headquarters... When I was reading your post all I could think about was that new Mission Impossible movie with Tom Cruise (shudder...) when he had to get the NOC list...

Ok, I am being a little dramatic. Sounds to me like a bad guy who chooses to mess with you would have one heck of a bad day!

Phil

My home and my family are all that I have, and they are irreplaceable, , therefore I do what I can to make sure they are well protected. There was also a house turned into low income apartments a few months after we moved in, and a few folks over there are shady, and the hood is starting to work it's way into the other side of town, so can't be too careful. Us, and most of the neighbors on "the redneck side" of town look out for each other, we have a pretty good relationship with the police and local governemnt, and everyone plays a part in keeping our town safe, quite a few folks open carry in town, and on their property, myself included, however I conceal most anywhere else, and carry a concealed BUG when I OC. There is almost no crime here, and the crime that does happen tends to be limited to the couple low income apartment houses in town, for the most part everyone else is left alone, partially due to everyone sticking together, treating the police as neighbors, and supporting them, and obvious security measures.

There is also another part of home and self defense often overlooked, a lawyer. A consult is usually free, and a retainer can be inexpensive to start with($100 for a card, cell phone number and ensured representation), but it ensures prompt and effective representation and can help make sure you do not wander into a world of hurt with the law after an otherwise good shoot. Mine went over the basics of what to do if I had to shoot, or even draw aggainst a threat, what to say to 911 and the police(generally the less you say, the better shape you will be in), and how to build a solid defense and minimize the damage from a lawsuit by the perp, or if by horrible luck an innocent bystander that you injured. As most here do, I spend a lot of time and expense trining and preparing in order to survive a deadly encounter, but it also pays to think of what you will be facing afterwards.

Last edited:

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Two large dogs (130lbs. and 70lbs.) and a Remington 870 w/ knoxx stock, scattergun technologies extension, Mesa tactical clamp w/ rail and flashlight, 6X 00 buck, and a bandoleer with another 25.

Sinjin

Jan 21, 2009
    You guys are making me want to get a dog...

One of my biggest fears is not waking up if someone breaks into my home. I tend to be a heavy sleeper (and snorer). :sad20:

Unlike a new gun, I might even be able to convince the woman on this one. :D

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    +1 on the dog and another +1 on a Mossberg 500.

The other benefit to a dog, is ZERO repeat solicitation. I hold him by the collar when opening the door and he growls and whines until the salesperson leaves, usually somewhat frightened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom