HAS ANYONE REQUESTED THEIR REGISTRATION FILE AT MSP?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Someone recently posted about a transfer at MSP and in doing the paperwork something came up regarding model/serial no.IIRC the trooper hit a few keys and BAM there it was.

I did a regulated (2 items) sale through the Rockville MSP barracks last year.
    After the guns were examined and the paperwork completed, the officer had us wait a few minutes while another officer handled the paperwork while working on the computer and using the phone.
    He then came to the window to explain about the 7 day wait, and then the legal exchange etc. He added "I just confirmed you are the lawful owner and that you both are Designated Collectors, so there shouldn't be a problem" I asked if they kept this on file for all of my gun purchases and he just laughed. Nice guy, smooth transaction but also a confirmation of my suspicions.
    I am positive they keep a record of regulated purchases in this state, how accurate it is I don't know.

Mr H

Banana'd
    The impression I got was that it was going to be a huge PITA for them. I opted to the make the tropper's life less difficult, and dropped it at that time.

(Dude was retiring in a week... basically told me to call him after that and he'd give me an earful once he was living at his retirement home is PA.)

I will go back an PIA them again and this time not let it go.

Ask them to include your spent shell casings... they should be readily available, right?!?!:innocent0

:D:lol2:

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Not sure of "file". But was told by the investigating officer in Frederick when I applied for a concealed permit a few months ago, he said he knew of the firearms I purchased. I'd imagine only the regulated firearms.

Of course they keep a record of handguns you've purchased. But, again, they can only know of the handguns (or regulated firearms) you've purchased in the state.

In teh case of C&R, there was an issue with Owe'Malley's raids where he was having some dealers log ammo purchases (not required by law) and then turn these logs over to MSP. If they found that you were purchasing ammo for a regulated fireamr that you didn't have arecord of owning, this through up a red flag and set you up for a potential visit/harrassment. This concerned me as a C&R holder more than anythign else because I could very well purchase ammo and the State of MD would have absolutely no record of anything I was purchasing for. Nor should they... it's none of their business. Although, I doubt I'd have a problem here as most of my ammo I purchase online anyway and I'd never complete a transaction with a vendor who tried to log my personal information for purchasing ammo...

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    FOIA Request

Jan 18, 2013
    Maryland State Police

RECORDS REQUEST

Dear Records Request Officer:

Pursuant to the state open records act, please provide access to and copies of any and all documentation, searches, databased information, electronic and paper holdings, including, but not limited to, Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) data, regarding the ownership of regulated and non-regulated firearms by me.

Please include any information you may hold on the locations and storage, purchase history, licensing, use, disposition, transactions, transfers of such weapons, accesories, and ammunition, that you may have on my person. Please include copies of any medical information you may have collected pursuant to the mandatory medical waiver form signed prior to transfer of regulated firearms transactions in Maryland.

I also request any information that MSP Licensing Division, or any MSP Office or Division may have on my person, and not limited to this agency or this state, and including Federal Government agency files of which your agency may have copies or access to, and/or shared with, including but not limited to BATFE, FBI.

Finally please clarify what specific measures MDSP takes in order to shield or protect my privacy regarding the items I am requesting on this letter of access by a third-party, such as the press or a private entity.

If my request is denied in whole or part, I ask that you justify all deletions by reference to specific exemptions of the act.

Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely,

cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    Very good stuff. I did some editing in case anyone else would like to send a PIA request to MSP:

###############################################
    NAME
    Address
    City, State ZIP
    Date

Maryland State Police
    Records Command
    1201 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, MD 21208

Dear Sir or Madam:

This is a request under the Maryland Public Information Act, State Government Article §§10-611 to 628. I am making this request on behalf of myself. I wish to inspect all records in your custody and control pertaining to the following:

(A) Access to and copies of any and all documentation, searches, database information, electronic and paper holdings, including, but not limited to, Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) data, regarding the ownership of regulated and non-regulated firearms by me.

(B) Any information you may hold on the locations and storage, purchase history, licensing, use, disposition, transactions, transfers of such weapons, accessories, and ammunition, that you may have on my person.

(C) Copies of any medical information you may have collected pursuant to the mandatory medical waiver form signed prior to transfer of regulated firearms in Maryland.

(D) Any information that MSP Licensing Division, or any MSP Office or Division may have on my person, and not limited to this agency or this state, and including Federal Government agency files of which your agency may have copies or access to, and/or shared with, including but not limited to BATFE, FBI.

(E) Clarification as to what specific measures MSP takes in order to shield or protect my privacy regarding the items I am requesting on this letter of access by a third-party, such as the press or a private entity.

If all or any part of this request is denied, I request that I be provided with a written statement of the grounds for the denial. If you determine that some portions of the requested records are exempt from disclosure, please provide me with the portions that can be disclosed.

I also anticipate that I will want copies of some or all of the records sought. Therefore, please advise me as to the cost, if any, for obtaining a copy of the records and the total cost, if any, for all the records described above. If you have adopted a fee schedule for obtaining copies of records and other rules or regulations implementing the Act, please send me a copy.

I look forward to receiving disclosable records promptly and, in any event, to a decision about all of the requested records within 30 days. If you have any questions regarding this request, please telephone me at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Sincerely,

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Back in the WD Schaefer years, files were kept on gun-owners; pics taken of protestors, tag numbers etc. At least the "vocal" ones. One of the Gun Day protestors did a FOIA request and brought his file to the next gun day the following year. He even made buttons with Schaffer's pic on it saying "Big Brother is watching"

Don't underestimate that there are likely files on most pro 2A folks with MSP, from this or previous administrations. Glendenning and Bob E, weren't much better... BeSwift

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    You're presuming that there even is a "file".

I'd like to hear the results of your inquiry, but I have a sneaking suspicion that we're over estimating the ability of the MSP to have the resources to collate, maintain and analyze all of the of forms and transactions to even put together a "file" on everyone.

When they do bring data together to create one as part of an investigation, I'm throwing out there the theory that the materials are collated after the fact and when someone already has the spotlight on them and they go digging for information.

I sent in my regulated collector form. They knew I hadn't bought any regulated firearms in MD and decided not to process my app until later. They definitely have information at their disposal.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Here's a "clue".

Yes "regulated" transactions are recorded in the database. Said database on the state level is inaccurate to some degree. It doesnt always capture that the guns been transfered from you to someone else in all instances. Also to my knowledge stolen firearms are not taken out as registered to you.

As far as big file drawers of everything you have, pictures of you, where you live, where you ate lunch etc etc. No. Well not unless you are on their big radar in which case a FOIA request is going to get you laughed at.

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    First, I love that avatar.

Second, I think that's a worthwhile effort to discover what they can dig up from their files. I wonder why someone would need a FOIA request for their own file though.

Third, I love that avatar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom