• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    OK guys, let the debate (brand wars) begin.

Can I get a 1911 (full size) for $500 and which one?

Firstly, I've never owned a 1911 (I'm a Sig fan), and not sure if I should go new or used.

Secondly if I'm getting a 1911, it's GOING to be .45 ACP, so don't even recommend anything else. :cool:

No, I'm not buying a $3000 Wilson Combat either..

I could be talked into a higher budget (max $800), but I have to justify it for the right reasons..., quality, reliability, parts, repair costs etc etc.

I'd also like Stainless, as I have a dozen evil black firearms already.

So I'll throw a few out there and lets hear your suggestions:

Colt (obviously), Springfield Armory, Rock Island Armory.

GO....

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I purchased a bright Nickel RIA 1911 last year for the princely sum of $435. Is that pimp enough for you? I will say, the sights are ridiculous, I'm getting them swapped out at some point for some that won't blind me during the day.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Not to mention at time the search button craps out and isn't worth a damn.

In that price range you would be hard pressed to find a Springfield. For the money I have heard great things about RIA. I've been eyeing a 4.25 inch model for a while.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    RIA and the other Filipino makers are building decent guns right now. For a little more you can buy a STI Spartan that has STI guts with a RIA frame and slide. I think they are in the $800 range.

Chad also likes the Taurus 1911's.

Whichever you buy you must use quality mags. Wilson makes some of the best mags.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    why not a SIG 1911? You'll have to atleast double your price point, but I don't consider myself a sig fan and I want a sig 1911. Ok so I am a german gun fan...

Edit: I knew Sig originated with a german company, did not know they were now HQ'd in USA...

Last edited:

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    why not a SIG 1911? You'll have to atleast double your price point, but I don't consider myself a sig fan and I want a sig 1911. Ok so I am a german gun fan...

HaHa, yeah THIS.. Double the price point is what I'd like to avoid, or I'd run out and get a Sig POW 1911 :thumbsup:

Heard some good things about RIA, if I recall there was a MDS group buy on an engraved RIA, that would be sweet if it came up again.

As a side note, I'm looking for a range run..
    Until I know more about 1911s etc etc, I'll stig to my Sig for defense.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    around $7-8 you can get a springer loaded model. nice fancy features like beveled edges, flared ejection port, night sights, beavertail grip saftey, serrations, etc.. i love mine..

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I hate searches!
    Ones I've handled, and liked (jury is sill out on RIA)

springer..not sure what model: great gun no failures reported
    Remington: talo edition, I own this and its really nice for $700. No failures but only shoot 200gn swcs also not available in SS
    RIA: my bothers again not sure what model: a few FTF(eed) with 230 ball brass cases cheap plinkin stuff. Will not feed tula steel cases with any reliability at all. Still decent shooter though

all above .45s single stack

Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    I'd stay away from used 1911s. You don't know if some kitchen table gunsmith screwed with it already.

From what I've seen RIAs can be good to go. I bought a Sig 1911 and wasn't impressed. For the money you can get a Colt. Nothing German about that Sig unless somebody was having a brew when they built it.

I would save and get a decent 1911 than drop 500 bucks on something crappy.

Low cost and 1911 don't seem to mix.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Ohh my, 5 to 1 odds this thread goes into the shitter by midnight.

RIA or Taurus would probably be the best bets for that price range, may have to spend just a touch more for a Taurus, but for range use, either one should do just fine.

My experience with Taurus' 1911's haven't been that bad at all, good price, good accuracy, and a pretty decent trigger out of the box - still room for improvement, but for the price, not bad guns.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I would up your anti a little and shop around for a used Springfield, Kimber, or Colt. The RIA 1911s far exceed the typical quality expectations of a gun in the $450 price category, however they are still pretty rough around the edges in comparison to the big three.

Besides, it just doesn't seem right buying a foreign made 1911A1. It's like buying an American flag hand sown in China. :tdown:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    True, sailskidrive - but aren't RIA's made in the phillipine's?

The filipino's I know anyways, love the 1911 almost as much as any american I've met, sometimes more than.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I recommend the RIA in that price range. I have one and it has performed excellent!

Ohh my, 5 to 1 odds this thread goes into the shitter by midnight.

RIA or Taurus would probably be the best bets for that price range, may have to spend just a touch more for a Taurus, but for range use, either one should do just fine.

My experience with Taurus' 1911's haven't been that bad at all, good price, good accuracy, and a pretty decent trigger out of the box - still room for improvement, but for the price, not bad guns.

RIA, does keep popping up.

And I'm not putting my life on the line here, it's a range gun, because I don't have a .45 LOL

I've already got a Beretta M9A1 (the 1911 replacement), so I'd thought I'd go with an "original" ;)

And while I am somewhat not inclined to buy used, as there is no way to prove the round count. I am also not needing a second mortgage if I spend $500 and end up with a lemon.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    True, sailskidrive - but aren't RIA's made in the phillipine's?

The filipino's I know anyways, love the 1911 almost as much as any american I've met, sometimes more than.

Granted they are fairly US friendly even though a little over 100 years we decided to "civilize" them.... :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom