• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Well... enough folks on here have bought the RIA's and had good experiences that it is probably a safe bet. I almost bought a RIA in 9mm, Lou at Shooter's talked me out of it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If you want an American 1911 made 1911 in that price range it will be difficult. All of the U.S. made Stainless 1911's start at 1K. Springers are not usually U.S. made unless thay are custom shop 1911's, they are made in Brazil.

If it were me I would go American Classic, the go for around $500. Youll pay more for a Stainless gun though. The A.C. Stainless Trophy is $700. It has all the advanced features, with Novak Cut Fully Adjustable Sights. Its made in the Phillipines but one of the nices imported 1911's. They are better than Springers as far as Fit/Finish go and they often need less tuning than other budget 1911's

hi-res-photo-trophy-chrome-preview.jpg

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    If you want an American 1911 made 1911 in that price range it will be difficult. All of the U.S. made Stainless 1911's start at 1K. Springers are not usually U.S. made unless thay are custom shop 1911's, they are made in Brazil.

If it were me I would go American Classic, the go for around $500. Youll pay more for a Stainless gun though. The A.C. Stainless Trophy is $700. It has all the advanced features, with Novak Cut Fully Adjustable Sights. Its made in the Phillipines but one of the nices imported 1911's. They are better than Springers as far as Fit/Finish go and they often need less tuning than other budget 1911's

Actually looks pretty nice, although I could be talked out of Stainless LOL.
    Not a critical requirement for my 1st 1911.

So what's the American Classic got over the RIA dude?

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    If you are not set for stainless give the remington a serious look. I intended on stainless but fell in love with the remington when I handled it. The talo edidtion has rosewood colored grips with the R logo on and the standard has lighter walnut color with no logo. The grips on the talo really set it off and was probly why I got it (even though grips are changable). I can almost gurantee that Bob at gunrunners here in Frederick has one in stock for $719. Its a no frills GI design mostly...as in no skeltonized trigger or hammer and non adjustable sights.

Or give the RIA a try if its just a range toy. I've read lots of good things about them on this sight but it can be a coin toss. Like in my previous post it wont feed everything with certainty...at least my brothers wont.

Although the american classic looks awfully sharp too! When I set out to get a 1911 I was so frustrated with all the choices and options...it will make your head spin but I got what I found in stock and liked.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Actually looks pretty nice, although I could be talked out of Stainless LOL.
    Not a critical requirement for my 1st 1911.

So what's the American Classic got over the RIA dude?

Stainless is not a optimal choice for a Steel Gun anyway. It tends to wear faster and it can gall. The only benefits of stainless is its easier to refinish the gun if damaged, you just bead blast it.

The A.C. is fit and finished MUCH better than a RIA. Both companies have a similar price point for comparable models but the A.C. are just nicer, inside and out. I dont judge a gun based on just external stuff. I take a look at what makes them tick and how often I see things not right.

I would own and keep an A.C. but not a RIA. While RIA are nice for the price and I do receomend them, BUT there are better options for the price.

FYI, DONT get a G.I. model if you want certain features. Just cutting a G.I. for Dovetail Sights and adding a Beavertail will cost $400 in labor alone, not counting the Beavertai itself or the replacement sights.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    For a couple hundred over the $500 mark you can do better. As mentioned the Remington's are nice, the internals are well made (yes, they are MIM, not a problem), lock up as good as most in that tier pistol. I've wanted one but the Ruger has my next purchase written over it. From what I have gleaned sbout it, it's a good one also.

If someone you know is familiar with the 1911, ask them to look at a prospective purchase if you want to try that route. That someone will know what to look for to ensure the prospective purchase hasn't been messed with.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    If you have your heart set on a USA made 1911, & brand, and want stainless.. Remington now makes the R1 in a stainless model. Its more in the vein of GI version. Im not sure of the price point. The blued version Ive seen go for $599 to $650. A touch more then what you probably want to spend - I have heard nothing but postive about the R1's - mainly the trigger pull!

1911_R1_SS_96324_ProfileR_96324.ashx

Here is some of the specs on that R1-

Overview:
    THE ALL-NEW REMINGTON® MODEL 1911 R1 STAINLESS
    The accuracy and reliability that have made the 1911 an American icon now shine brighter than ever. Features include a crisp trigger, dovetailed front and rear sights, precision-machined slide and frame, and available fine-checkered American walnut grips. The new Model 1911 R1 Stainless is truly the finest blend of exacting craftsmanship and out-of-box performance available today. Every element is produced with ultra-tight tolerances on equipment representing the height of modern technology. The result is a sweet-shooting advancement of a legendary design we’re more than proud to put our name on.
    See the features
    The Remington Model 1911 R1 Stainless is manufactured with pride and precision, to the exacting standards you’ve come to expect from Remington. Right here in Ilion, New York.
    Key Features:
    Two-Dot Dovetailed Rear Sight with Single Dot Dovetailed Front Sight
    Match Grade Stainless Steel 5" Barrel and Bushing
    Flat Mainspring Housing
    Solid Aluminum Trigger with 3 1/2 - 5 lb. Pull
    19 Vertical Slide Serrations
    G.I. Thumb Safety, Grip Safety and Magazine Release
    Beveled Magazine Well
    7+1 Round Capacity (Includes 2 Seven Round Magazines

I really considered buying an R1 when I was in the market for a 1911 - but ended up going with a Kimber STII (45ACP!) with adjustable sights since I handload, and I wanted adjustables. I have been VERY happy with that pistol, but its probably not in your price range.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Downside to a G.I. Type 1911's is unless you are very conscious about the grip (Which means your not likely holding the gun right) or have very small hands, the Hammer will bite you under recoil. The Hammer can be bobbed but its not always a fix depending on the shooter.

Unless you want something nostalgic or retro stay away from a Standard Grip Safety.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    RIA and the other Filipino makers are building decent guns right now. For a little more you can buy a STI Spartan that has STI guts with a RIA frame and slide. I think they are in the $800 range.

Chad also likes the Taurus 1911's.

Whichever you buy you must use quality mags. Wilson makes some of the best mags.

^^^This^^^

My Citadel (same gun as a RIA) was having some issues when I first got it. Got Wilson mags. Problem disapeared.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Downside to a G.I. Type 1911's is unless you are very conscious about the grip (Which means your not likely holding the gun right) or have very small hands, the Hammer will bite you under recoil. The Hammer can be bobbed but its not always a fix depending on the shooter.

Unless you want something nostalgic or retro stay away from a Standard Grip Safety.

Yeah I like the longer beaver tail on my Sig, so I don't get hammer bite.

Good point on the Dove tail over fixed sights also.

Great getting tips from the "pros", it would be easy to over look some basics without you guys :thumbsup:

Now I'm almost tempted to trade-in one of my AR's :draw:

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Sorry but this thread has proven why posting a question that has already been asked is still worthwhile. Over time options change and people have new experiences to share.

So who has R1's, that looks really nice.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Sorry but this thread has proven why posting a question that has already been asked is still worthwhile. Over time options change and people have new experiences to share.

Have to agree, while the basic platform has been the same I guess (circa ~100 years LOL), brands and models are evolving and being released all the time.

So while I was completely too lazy to search the forum, I'm glad I could help with a new thread :D

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Still have to admit that I'm shocked that a 1911 thread has stayed this civilized for this long... :lol2:

Normally they turn into train-wrecks within minutes...

EDIT: I probably shouldn't have said that, the thread is now doomed.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Yeah... the "Remington's" rock. :party29: ;)

IMG_0802.jpg

That's interesting.

I'm familiar with the "Remington Rand" name. But it's having to do with older safes. Never seen the "Rand" part on any firearm before.

Can you (or someone) tell me more about what's up with the "Rand" part?

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD

Obviusly I do (black) and I'm happy, love it so far. Have only about 200 handloads with swc through it but haven't made it fail. Finish is nice not the best I've seen but no serious blemishes or nothing just a little orange peel effect on frame (not sure what its called in the firearm world. The frame is near perfect. As mentioned the trigger feels very nice. Can't remember advertised weight but should be listed above. I haven't measured pull either but I may this evening just for kicks. I did see one thread or report and I'm not sure where but that particular gun had a rough edge along the front of the frame that contacted the slide and marked it up a bit.

I looked at mine and there are somewhat rough edges on each side of the frame but they've been machined down and dont contact my slide. These may be normal for other makers, I don't know. But a simple visual inspection while handling it you should be able to see if anything has rubbed the slide. I would have like to try some of the steel cased tula ammo my brother was having issues with in his RIA but its a dedicated lead gun so I didn't.

Not sure if Chad has seen or is aware of any issues with the R1 but mine has been a positive purchase. The sights are dovetail too even though they are GI style...I assume a sight upgrade is a simple matter but I have limited experience with the 1911 platform so I don't know. I kinda wanted adjustable sights but after shooting it I don't see the need as I'm no pistol marksman and would not benefit from them. And the dots are big and bright on the standard ones. Plus I can't tailor my POA/POI with handloads too. Mine shoots low at anything under 10yds but pretty close from 15-25 with 4.8gn of titegroup and 200gr lasercast swc.

For some strange reason i was shooting a good bit left last time out and tried eveything with trigger finger with no change but it was something with my hold because I rested it and it was spot on.

and remember when reading gun reviews or any reviews that most people only speak up if they are unhappy. Not too many start threads talking about how much they love there gun and it never fails. But they'll be the first to write a 2 page rant on something if it has the slightest issue.

One question since we are on the subject, can anyone reach the slide realese with their shooting hand? I just can't reach the darn thing and have gotten in the habit of using the thumb on my non-shooting hand. Maybe its a 1911 thing in general

That's interesting.

I'm familiar with the "Remington Rand" name. But it's having to do with older safes. Never seen the "Rand" part on any firearm before.

Can you (or someone) tell me more about what's up with the "Rand" part?

Remington the gun company is a different company than the Remington Rand that made 1911s during WWII. They were a typewriter company mostly; some of us are old enough to remember the old upright Remington manual typewriters. RR evolved into the electric razor business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom