• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Last couple of weeks only went out once and all I got was a goose and a buffel head Been too busy and the divers weren't down yet.
    1000003884.jpg

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Skunked again today. That's five trips in a row. Only got 4 ducks this year so far, and no geese.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I somehow missed this thread. I have taken the boys out on a few occasions and have had limited luck this year. Not a lot of birds around. It is not easy with some of the public land fields we call in for to reserve and we often hunt days cove but it gets hit pretty hard. The boys love it but I do wish they would have more good days than bad! The kids were spoiled, as was I, when we had our lease. I am really impressed with how my oldest gets on these ducks with his O/U 20ga!

Attachments

• Garage Pic.jpg
      Garage Pic.jpg
      79.1 KB · Views: 37
    • James Black Duck.jpg
      James Black Duck.jpg
      99.3 KB · Views: 38
    • James Hen Mallard.jpg
      James Hen Mallard.jpg
      62.3 KB · Views: 38
    • Patrick.jpg
      Patrick.jpg
      113.5 KB · Views: 39

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I somehow missed this thread. I have taken the boys out on a few occasions and have had limited luck this year. Not a lot of birds around. It is not easy with some of the public land fields we call in for to reserve and we often hunt days cove but it gets hit pretty hard. The boys love it but I do wish they would have more good days than bad! The kids were spoiled, as was I, when we had our lease. I am really impressed with how my oldest gets on these ducks with his O/U 20ga!
    Second and 3rd pic look like site #9

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Ive had a really good year on a farm pond.
    I’ve been absolutely crushing geese with my vintage iron.

Attachments

• 12B56A78-9301-4B8E-B0A0-BD1879DEF16F.jpeg
      12B56A78-9301-4B8E-B0A0-BD1879DEF16F.jpeg
      761.5 KB · Views: 36
    • 00F27500-BF38-4512-95F0-C50B839A1513.jpeg
      00F27500-BF38-4512-95F0-C50B839A1513.jpeg
      819.8 KB · Views: 30
    • 1E26780A-DE6C-4E9F-B1BB-3CE9708D5CA4.jpeg
      1E26780A-DE6C-4E9F-B1BB-3CE9708D5CA4.jpeg
      566.3 KB · Views: 35
    • 87A3F226-B980-4664-896D-F22AE51B74AE.jpeg
      87A3F226-B980-4664-896D-F22AE51B74AE.jpeg
      141.7 KB · Views: 35
    • 403F5930-8612-4445-AFEE-FE70B80DA927.jpeg
      403F5930-8612-4445-AFEE-FE70B80DA927.jpeg
      768.1 KB · Views: 36

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Second and 3rd pic look like site
    Damn, that is pretty good! Got skunked today on a different site this morning. The fog was so thick that you could not see more than a few feet out on the boat ride out. Saw some ducks but they would drop out of the fog and be gone before you realized it. Nothing working the decoys. Heard some shooting today though.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    We saw at least 3,000 geese. Not a damned one of them got anywhere near us, however. We opened up on a couple of ducks that buzzed us, but the crafty bastards were basically out of range before we could get on them. At least the weather was fantastic. A long sleeve t-shirt and a hoodie was sufficient for the day. I have surely had worse days in the blind.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    This was second worst season for me since I started in 2012. 2020-21 was the absolute worst. In six trips to my spot on the Potomac in St. Mary's, I only managed four buffleheads. Bigger divers like bluebills and canvasbacks and a few mallards started showing up in low numbers the past two weeks, but none were interested in decoying.

I noticed more "blind boats" out on the rivers than ever this year. I think some of them are baiting the river bottom based on how birds seem to be consistently flying right past my spreads "on a mission" to get to specific spots in the middle of the river, even after the boats have moved on. The past two weeks, seagulls grouped up in that same area in unusually high numbers. I noticed a DNR boat out checking one of those blind boats on Saturday. A few years ago, a DNR officer came to my blind to ask if I'd seen unusual activity (i.e. dumping grain over the side of the boat) on the river. So my radar is always up now. I really hope that's not why the ducks are ignoring my set ups. Shame on anyone who baits birds.

I can handle a tough season with few birds -- that's part of hunting. Despite the poor success, it was still a great time! I just love being out there with my dog and friends even when we don't shoot much. Nothing beats witnessing beautiful winter sunrises and sunsets. We'll spend the off season working on our blinds and trying to plant underwater vegetation and oysters to try to make the habitat more attractive next year.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    This was second worst season for me since I started in 2012. 2020-21 was the absolute worst. In six trips to my spot on the Potomac in St. Mary's, I only managed four buffleheads. Bigger divers like bluebills and canvasbacks and a few mallards started showing up in low numbers the past two weeks, but none were interested in decoying.

I noticed more "blind boats" out on the rivers than ever this year. I think some of them are baiting the river bottom based on how birds seem to be consistently flying right past my spreads "on a mission" to get to specific spots in the middle of the river, even after the boats have moved on. The past two weeks, seagulls grouped up in that same area in unusually high numbers. I noticed a DNR boat out checking one of those blind boats on Saturday. A few years ago, a DNR officer came to my blind to ask if I'd seen unusual activity (i.e. dumping grain over the side of the boat) on the river. So my radar is always up now. I really hope that's not why the ducks are ignoring my set ups. Shame on anyone who baits birds.

I can handle a tough season with few birds -- that's part of hunting. Despite the poor success, it was still a great time! I just love being out there with my dog and friends even when we don't shoot much. Nothing beats witnessing beautiful winter sunrises and sunsets. We'll spend the off season working on our blinds and trying to plant underwater vegetation and oysters to try to make the habitat more attractive next year.
    Sounds like you pretty much have it figured out.
    They're on a mission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom