• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    My granddog was looking for pheasants. We saw lots of high birds Saturday but only were able to get a few to commit to our spread. Sure was nice to hunt in January and not be cold all day!
    IMG_8856.jpeg
    IMG_8862.jpeg

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    This was second worst season for me since I started in 2012. 2020-21 was the absolute worst. In six trips to my spot on the Potomac in St. Mary's, I only managed four buffleheads. Bigger divers like bluebills and canvasbacks and a few mallards started showing up in low numbers the past two weeks, but none were interested in decoying.

I noticed more "blind boats" out on the rivers than ever this year. I think some of them are baiting the river bottom based on how birds seem to be consistently flying right past my spreads "on a mission" to get to specific spots in the middle of the river, even after the boats have moved on. The past two weeks, seagulls grouped up in that same area in unusually high numbers. I noticed a DNR boat out checking one of those blind boats on Saturday. A few years ago, a DNR officer came to my blind to ask if I'd seen unusual activity (i.e. dumping grain over the side of the boat) on the river. So my radar is always up now. I really hope that's not why the ducks are ignoring my set ups. Shame on anyone who baits birds.

I can handle a tough season with few birds -- that's part of hunting. Despite the poor success, it was still a great time! I just love being out there with my dog and friends even when we don't shoot much. Nothing beats witnessing beautiful winter sunrises and sunsets. We'll spend the off season working on our blinds and trying to plant underwater vegetation and oysters to try to make the habitat more attractive next year.
    Same here....terrible year. Got three on the boat today and that almost doubled my entire production of the whole season.
    My season total:
    A widgeon
    A black duck
    Two hooded mergansers
    A mallard today
    No geese, but I'll hunt another time or two

People have figured out the open water birds. I've seen a lot more body booters and layout boats this year too. You can put yourself right in the birds that way. I have a layout (well, access to one) that I tried to use a couple times this year but it didn't work out. I plan to use it a bunch next year.
    I don't think those people are baiting, but it's always a possibility.

So, after a decent day today, here's to next season!

1000004635.jpg

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    1000004000.jpg
    1000003999.jpg
    1000003997.jpg

Youth day yesterday was fun went out late afternoon in fishing bay and the kids shot a limit of bluebills. I found an arrow head. Bitter sweet as it's my sons last youth hunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom