• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Patuxent I think it’s called , off 97 . Talked to guy lives around there says he sees birds but hasn’t heard them . I would not chase a gobble there . Would assume a lot of people would be going after same bird . Literally didn’t want to get shot . Was a new experience for me . Nice land . Apparently they run dogs there for fox hunts also. Place is not for me.

I was there yesterday and today. I'm one of those guys who has no access to private land, so public is my only option. I can confirm what you said, it was extremely crowded. I showed up at 0430 and there was already 5 vehicles in the parking lot (all already afield, technically against the park rules which say you can enter 1.5hrs before sunrise). I heard some gobbles but was unable to have any toms present themselves.

At about 1030 I started to walk out. Bumped into a guy and we chatted for a few minutes. He said he arrived to the parking lot around 0515 and it was nearly full. As he finished gearing up, the parking lot filled up. Then some vehicles arrived, and presumably mad there was no more space, they sped out of the lot spinning tires. Then a cop showed up. Apparently residents who live along the (backwoods) access road called in all the vehicular traffic. The residents and cop had no idea it was turkey season opener.

Oddly enough, with all those people, I think I only heard 3 shots all morning long.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I was there yesterday and today. I'm one of those guys who has no access to private land, so public is my only option. I can confirm what you said, it was extremely crowded. I showed up at 0430 and there was already 5 vehicles in the parking lot (all already afield, technically against the park rules which say you can enter 1.5hrs before sunrise). I heard some gobbles but was unable to have any toms present themselves.

At about 1030 I started to walk out. Bumped into a guy and we chatted for a few minutes. He said he arrived to the parking lot around 0515 and it was nearly full. As he finished gearing up, the parking lot filled up. Then some vehicles arrived, and presumably mad there was no more space, they sped out of the lot spinning tires. Then a cop showed up. Apparently residents who live along the (backwoods) access road called in all the vehicular traffic. The residents and cop had no idea it was turkey season opener.

Oddly enough, with all those people, I think I only heard 3 shots all morning long.

I went back this morning. Less busy, but still busy. I went to the same spot I heard gobbles at yesterday.

Yesterday I heard the gobbles from 0550-0620. Then full stop, and no sightings.

Today gobbles started from same distance area at 0550. I decided to abandon my edge of field position and try to close the distance. I slowly made my way a couple hundred yards into the woods. I got fairly close to the gobbles, then a full stop at 0615. I sat and tried some calls but no responses and no sighting of Toms.

Fairly certain the gobbler roosted in the same spot yesterday and today. I’ve got it narrowed down pretty well. Learned the areas and the horse trails in the woods during the day today. I’m going to try again tomorrow morning, this time setting up near the roost at 0500 so I’ll be ready for his fly-down (if he roosts in the same area).

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Youngins went out and bagged one. Public land, shoot and scoot, one calling one shooting. Dropped a decoy in the woods took about 15 minutes till show time.
    Said they got him around 10. bout 1"spurs 2 Yo they figured.
    Guess the hens had enough by then. Pays to stay, let em lay if they're not that hungry with hens at sunup.
    Maybe they'll leave some for me this year, Sh*theads.

Attachments

• two tooths.PNG
      two tooths.PNG
      313 KB · Views: 67

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Congrats to yer yoots B!
    Taxpayer funded must be nice huh? Getting paid to go turkey hunting.
    One on the left is expert caller, ducks geese turkeys hollers he's hungry gets fed by ma right off.
    Other boy will be running around all nuts trying to catch up funny as hell.
    Ill probably walk out with him Saturday if he wants to take me.
    I probably dont have any gear/ammo left in the building.
    I may not even have a SG left anymore for all I know.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Youngins went out and bagged one. Public land, shoot and scoot, one calling one shooting. Dropped a decoy in the woods took about 15 minutes till show time.
    Said they got him around 10. bout 1"spurs 2 Yo they figured.
    Guess the hens had enough by then. Pays to stay, let em lay if they're not that hungry with hens at sunup.
    Maybe they'll leave some for me this year, Sh*theads.
    Very nice!

outrider58

Here's looking at you kid
    MDS Supporter
    Taxpayer funded must be nice huh? Getting paid to go turkey hunting.
    One on the left is expert caller, ducks geese turkeys hollers he's hungry gets fed by ma right off.
    Other boy will be running around all nuts trying to catch up funny as hell.
    Ill probably walk out with him Saturday if he wants to take me.
    I probably dont have any gear/ammo left in the building.
    I may not even have a SG left anymore for all I know.
    Haha! They owe you the day. Remind them where they came from. :)

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I agree with this. That said, my hens will fan out their tails at perceived arial threats. It kind of looks like strutting. I also have one hen with a beard. I haven't asked her what she identifies as.
    I just talked to my neighbor

He says that bird was also wing beating his decoys

I have seen roosters wing beating other animals, but mostly other roosters, so I know what it is but why would she/he be doing that?

I need to spend more time watching wild turkeys I guess

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I just talked to my neighbor

He says that bird was also wing beating his decoys

I have seen roosters wing beating other animals, but mostly other roosters, so I know what it is but why would she/he be doing that?

I need to spend more time watching wild turkeys I guess
    Just fighting. Males can be very violent with each other. The tom I have now all but killed the last tom we had, and that wasn't even breeding season. Hens will be violent if they suspect illness/weakness in another bird...downright mean. They'll peck at the head of the ill bird until it leaves or it's dead.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Just fighting. Males can be very violent with each other. The tom I have now all but killed the last tom we had, and that wasn't even breeding season. Hens will be violent if they suspect illness/weakness in another bird...downright mean. They'll peck at the head of the ill bird until it leaves or it's dead.
    Like chickens.

Ever since I was a tiny boy I was amazed at how violent chickens actually are

So it makes sense that other fowl are like that now that you mention it

Keets must be the worst, they actually think they are dinosaurs lol

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Hunted Monocacy today .It was nice .Youngest son and i. Was able to work a bird , I seen it , tell ya it was thick brush . As I moved toward it they have safe zones which I was not about to push my luck . Hen came to Tom he was done . No more responses. Was cool because I watched the whole thing . Great hunt though . Thanks outrider good call . A lot of under growth but I’ve nailed birds in the past in the thick stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom