• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rwatson

Feb 7, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    So I'm looking to add a lever action style 22 lr to my collection. I'm currently looking at Henry & Marlin rifles. Anyone have any recommendations for these or any others I should be looking at? Thanks!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The Marlin 39 is the standard by which others are judged. The newest 39A's seem to not be up to the level of their heritage, but there are PLENTY of older ones available. My 39A will be one of the last guns I would ever part with.

rwatson

Feb 7, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm leaning towards the Henry Goldenboy in 22lr. From what I've read it's a mixed review on both Henry & Marlin. Doesn't seem like I can really go wrong with either.

As always thanks for the feedback.

rwatson

Feb 7, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    That's good to know. I did indeed look at the 39a but the reviews weren't so great. I'll have to see if I can locate an older one.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm leaning towards the Henry Goldenboy in 22lr. From what I've read it's a mixed review on both Henry & Marlin. Doesn't seem like I can really go wrong with either.

As always thanks for the feedback.

For me, the biggest advantage the Marlin offers is a longer barrel. The Marlin sports a 24" barrel to the Henry's 20". It is a VERY accurate rifle if you do your part. Try to shoot both if you can.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Aren't the Henrys made with a pot metal receiver with a thin brass colored sheet metal cover over it?

Give me solid blued steel.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    If you want to buy the best do yourself a favor and look at Browning's BL22.
    Buy it and it will be around for generations, Hold one in your hands and you can feel the quality.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If you want to buy the best do yourself a favor and look at Browning's BL22.
    Buy it and it will be around for generations, Hold one in your hands and you can feel the quality.

Forgot about that one. Definately worth checking out.

Also the old Winchester 9422 was supposed to be good.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    The Marlin 39 is the standard by which others are judged. The newest 39A's seem to not be up to the level of their heritage, but there are PLENTY of older ones available. My 39A will be one of the last guns I would ever part with.

Understandable, I, with heavy heart parted with my 1961 version of it only because the guy met the outrageous price I was asking. :):thumbsup:

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    That is a beauty, but way more than I'm looking to spend on a 22.

Yea, Browning is always proud of there products. If you look around i am sure you can find a used one. I bought my son a grade 2 four or five years ago and it was around four hundred at that time. But i will tell you this, If you just hold one you will buy one. Money well spent.

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I own a Henry H001, which is their bottom end model. Love it. It's receiver does have a thin metal cover which is liable to take damage easily if you handle it rough. But it has never failed to feed or fire, and it's as accurate as I can shoot with iron sights.

But others swear by their Marlins. I compared them side by side at BassPro, and the Marlin did have a more substantial feel. More substantial price, too. So take your pick.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    If you can find one and want to drop the cash they are going for Id go with a Marlin 39td . Love mine and it makes a great lil pack gun .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom