• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    If you want to buy the best do yourself a favor and look at Browning's BL22.
    Buy it and it will be around for generations, Hold one in your hands and you can feel the quality.

Well, I have to do it...................

Go with the marlin! I love my bl22 but...the older marlins are such better guns. i shoot cowboy small bore with my marlin and I love it. The solid steel gun with that fat long barrel is always a winner. The bl22 is a great gun but the older 39's are in a diffrent class. The triggers and actions on a 39 wear in so smooth with use and all it takes is some stone work to really slick them out! I have had a 39 behind the seat of my truck for years and would never think of replacing her unless it was with a center fire.

God I just admitted this in a public forum.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    DSC08448.jpg

It's OK Browning Guy. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Marlin did very well with the pre safety 39's. Trick is, finding one reasonable and in good shape. But when you do, you realize it was worth the effort and patience.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I have a BL22 handed down from my dad. Love everything about it... Especially the way the trigger guard and trigger come down with the lever. I can't speak to any of the other guns discussed, but I have a hard time imagining a smoother lever.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    I would go for the Henry if I were you. A dream to shoot, great accuracy and a smooth action. An older Marlin would be fine too but a new Henry would have a lot better customer support.

Also don't listen to the rumors about the henry. Folks are always trying to smear them.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I own or have owned all three....
    Henry is fun and cheap.
    Browning is fun and much classier than the Henry.
    Marlin 39 or 39A is a full sized mans .22 and more accurate than the other two but the bluing sucks.
    I own or have owned many modern (1960-2000) rim-fire Marlins and while they build a superbly accurate rifle the quality of the finish leaves more than a bit to be desired.
    If you decide on a Marlin you MUST keep it oiled or it will rust if you look at it hard.
    That said I would pick the Marlin over the other two every time.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Well, I have to do it...................

Go with the marlin! I love my bl22 but...the older marlins are such better guns. i shoot cowboy small bore with my marlin and I love it. The solid steel gun with that fat long barrel is always a winner. The bl22 is a great gun but the older 39's are in a diffrent class. The triggers and actions on a 39 wear in so smooth with use and all it takes is some stone work to really slick them out! I have had a 39 behind the seat of my truck for years and would never think of replacing her unless it was with a center fire.

God I just admitted this in a public forum.

You forgot to mention that you guys have one on the rack, back room.

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    I own or have owned all three....
    Henry is fun and cheap.
    Browning is fun and much classier than the Henry.
    Marlin 39 or 39A is a full sized mans .22 and more accurate than the other two but the bluing sucks.
    I own or have owned many modern (1960-2000) rim-fire Marlins and while they build a superbly accurate rifle the quality of the finish leaves more than a bit to be desired.
    If you decide on a Marlin you MUST keep it oiled or it will rust if you look at it hard.That said I would pick the Marlin over the other two every time.

Huh? Well, you made me look. I just went to see my 39A that's been in the safe for two years and there aint a speck of rust on it. Of course, it's hardly ever been fired. But it was cleaned before putting it away. If anyone is looking for one, this is a New Haven gun and has only a small rub on the stock, otherwise near new. I can sacrifice it for 500 firm. PM me if interested.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Maybe my Marlins just don't like me...
    Both my 39a and .22 mag will develop a light orange dusting overnight if I don't wipe them down each time I handle them.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Maybe my Marlins just don't like me...
    Both my 39a and .22 mag will develop a light orange dusting overnight if I don't wipe them down each time I handle them.

That was my old Browning Buckmark, and part of the reason I no longer own that pistol.

Clem

Mar 19, 2007
    Southern MD
    The Marlin 39A was my first gun in 1963. About 7 yrs. Ago I found a ’69 vintage 39A Mountie. More recently I have finally found something that may be close to the Marlins: a Winchester 9422. If you can find one of the three of these, you won’t be disappointed.

BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    I was in a similar position and liked the Henry 22's. The goldenboy is almost too pretty to use regularly. It needs to be under glass, not tramping around the woods. Instead, I like the octagon barrel and metal sights/bands of the H001T. It's heavier, more rugged. I'm looking into peep sights for improved accuracy. It might make do until you can afford a Browning.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I prefer the Henry lever actions. I love the Golden Boy and shoot it every chance I can. I have thought about adding a scope, but I have an older model and from what I understand from Henry, it will need to be drilled and tapped.

I have one of my HT001 with a scope so I am content.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    If you can't find the one you want locally, Gunbroker has great deals on nearly all models. Because it's an unregulated rifle you can get a transfer done relatively cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom