• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • somoss

Silver Spring
    Feb 18, 2006
    For those that have a small 9mm like a sig
    365, how well do they handle and shoot?
    What’s a good but shootable smaller 9mm?
    I have ruger lcp max in 380 but would like a 9mm as well. Main use is target practice and carry possibly.
    I have a horde of 9mm ammo. Didn’t realize how expensive they have gotten.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    My target and carry guns are different animals but I would think a 365 XL or Macro would be fine for both. My XL is definitely more comfortable to shoot than my sas.
    If possible rent and shoot before buying.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    Since you have a Ruger why not a Security 9 Compact?

I like mine.

Reliable, good company, shoots well and priced right.

:bannana:
    Great gun I have 3 of them. Its actually my most comfy carry gun and the thing shoots great. I have noticed mine prefer hotter ammo over lighter loads. But put rounds on target with anything you feed them

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have a vanilla 365. I have fairly big hands and I like it. The modularity of the platform is amazing. You can swap the grip module out for an XL or even an X-macro, with a little dremelling.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I bought the 365X. There's another thread where I talked about getting to compare a Glock 43, a Sig 365 on an X grip module, and a 365 Macro side by side, but the thing that rang true about the 365 is that it was really easy to manage from a shooting and recoil perspective, and it shoots well enough that you can target practice with it.

I liked the 365X because there was just enough extra length on the grip that it fills my hand properly, which helps with my ability to manage recoil. It's a nice shooting pistol.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Smaller grip, lighter guns are harder to shoot than larger grip, heavier guns. It's pretty much that simple. The actual mechanics of the platform don't have a ton of impact in most cases.

The P365X is a nice balance between size and performance if shootability outweighs concealability. Otherwise, the plain-jane P365 is fine.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    Ruger's LC9 is pretty similar to the LCP Max if you want a similar manual of arms. The single stack 9 can be a bit harsh on the hand with a long range session, but I have no issue with that as a carry piece. I generally add a grip cushion for long range sessions for these old hands... On the other hand, the Hellcat is smooth shooting, easy on the hands, and has a great capacity for a carry piece.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    I bought the 365X. There's another thread where I talked about getting to compare a Glock 43, a Sig 365 on an X grip module, and a 365 Macro side by side, but the thing that rang true about the 365 is that it was really easy to manage from a shooting and recoil perspective, and it shoots well enough that you can target practice with it.

I liked the 365X because there was just enough extra length on the grip that it fills my hand properly, which helps with my ability to manage recoil. It's a nice shooting pistol.
    if i had shot the wife's 365x before i bought my 43x , the outcome may have been different . it's definitely a great shooter .

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    if i had shot the wife's 365x before i bought my 43x , the outcome may have been different . it's definitely a great shooter .
    My friend who has all three - the 43x, and two versions of the 365, is planning on selling his 43x. Don't get me wrong, it's completely adequate for a carry pistol, but it's (IMO) rather unpleasant to shoot - there's something about that little blade on the trigger that wants to sting the pad of my trigger finger.

It shoots well and gets the job done, and as a defensive pistol in the heat of the moment it would be fine, but it's not something I'd want to shoot for fun at the range. The 365 on the other hand is as fun as any other semi-auto pistol I own, and more fun than my Walther P99.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    For those that have a small 9mm like a sig
    365, how well do they handle and shoot?
    What’s a good but shootable smaller 9mm?
    I have ruger lcp max in 380 but would like a 9mm as well. Main use is target practice and carry possibly.
    I have a horde of 9mm ammo. Didn’t realize how expensive they have gotten.
    Kimber Micro at 9 yards first time out 115 gr target loads. With the proper grip there is very little barrel raise and recoil is minimal.

9 yards.jpg

Slumy__57

May 18, 2018
    Hampstead MD
    I carry a 365XL, I have larger hands, so that was about as small as I was comfortable with for a carry gun. It shoots well for the size, but I definitely still prefer a full size 9mm for messing around at the range. I usually run 115 gr for range ammo, and 124 for carry

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Smaller grip, lighter guns are harder to shoot than larger grip, heavier guns. It's pretty much that simple. The actual mechanics of the platform don't have a ton of impact in most cases.

The P365X is a nice balance between size and performance if shootability outweighs concealability. Otherwise, the plain-jane P365 is fine.
    ^^ This ^^

I have a P365 & P365X (for carry) and a P365XL (range toy with a 407K on it). I bought the P365X first, then the P365 as a backup, then accumulated spare parts to build the P365XL.

The dot sight is recent and an experiment that will likely be abandoned unless I put it on one of my hunting pistols. Most of the P365 variants come with decent tritium sights and I'm now thinking I'm too old and set in my ways to get comfortable with a dot on my defensive pistol, although it greatly improves MY precision on paper targets.

I've settled on 124 HSTs for carry and 124 Blazer Brass for range ammo. Reliability has been 100% with a variety of ammo from 115 FMJs (several brands) to 124s, both FMJ and HPs (Gold Dot/HST). Have not tried any 147s, but with my stock of 124 HSTs, I doubt I'll get to the point of buying more defensive ammo and probably won't ever shoot 147s.

Being from a mainly full-size SA background, with some DA/SA compacts, I found the P365s initially very challenging to shoot well. The striker-fired trigger feel took some getting used to, as did the very short sight radius. After a few trips to the range (and cataract surgery), my shooting has improved considerably. The triggers smooth out with use and I become used to the way the trigger functions, so that part of the equation improved.

Not much one can do about the short sight radius, except to remind one's self that it is a close range defensive firearm and not a target pistol. Fooling with the dot sight, I have assured myself that the gun shoots fine.

As Teratos says above, the modularity allows one a lot of flexibility in configuration. The heart of the gun, and serialized part, is the FCU (fire control unit)...everything else swaps around this part.

Whatever version one starts with, grip modules can be changed out to change grip length and vary native capacity. In addition to Sig's three variants, several aftermarket makers offer differing grip module styles to change the girth, reach and length. Some are pretty costly.

I don't see much difference in concealing a P365 vs the P365X if the 'pinkie mag' is used in the P365 and the flush mags are used in the P365X. The P365/P365X are the same slide/barrel length and the XL version's slide is a little long for the way I carry.

Several slide configurations allow for two basic slide/barrel lengths (3.1"/3.7"), pre-milled optics cuts and several compensator/brake options. Aftermarket barrels allow for compensator or suppressor use.

Mags are available in 10 round short (for the basic P365), 10/12 round for the X/XL models and 15/17 for the Macro, plus there are floor-plate adapters by Sig and several aftermarket makers that allow one to use almost any mag in any version. The exception is the short 10 rounder in a Macro, but no one really wants to do this anyway. When carrying the P365, I use a 10 in the gun and carry a 12 as a spare. When carrying the P365X, I have a 12 in the gun and a 12 as a spare.

Attachments

• 365s.jpg
      365s.jpg
      166.9 KB · Views: 69
    Last edited:

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    …Didn’t realize how expensive they have gotten.

Not sure WHERE ARE YOU LOOKING but:

$276 after adding to the cart below with shipping!

SAR9 $288 Shipped for Stainless. Black $300 shipped:​

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom