9 states with live Constitutional carry bills..

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    The following 10 states have Constitutional carry bills that are still live and active.

Indiana (HB1077) PASSED!, #24th, Effective July 1, 2022
    Ohio (SB215) PASSED! 23rd to pass, Effective June 13th, 2022
    Alabama (HB272) PASSED!, 22nd to Pass, Effective Jan 1, 2023
    Georgia (SB319), Passed both houses, Headed to Gov. Effective upon his signature.
    Nebraska (LB733), 2 more Votes in General assembly.
    North Carolina (HB197), introduced.
    South Carolina (H3096), passed House, waiting on Senate
    Rhode Island (S2378), Introduced, Held in Committee.
    Maryland (), Introduced, In Committee. probably will die.
    Florida (HB103) Alive in special Session
    Colorado (HB22-1033) DEAD!.

All governors except for Indiana and Colorado have said they would sign the bills if they made it to desk

This OP will be edited and updated with the latest information I Find/know.

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    From another major Forum , Florida's seems destined to die in Committee . Again .

Florida makes too much money off the system to trash it.

The downside of a successful program.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Apparently two fold . The Leadership is very proud of their recent Red Flag that passed , and is not inclined to back controversial pro gun measures this session . And the financial and politically powerful Tourist Industry doesn't want to frighten potential tourists with too many visably armed locals .

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    I predict South Carolina will not go....again.

I talked with the staff of the Senator who is Chair of Judiciary. It will get out of Committee and to the Senate floor.

It looks like the majority of republicans are supporting the bill. Republicans hold majority of Senate.

Are there more republicans then democrats supporting? That part is still unknown.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Apparently two fold . The Leadership is very proud of their recent Red Flag that passed , and is not inclined to back controversial pro gun measures this session . And the financial and politically powerful Tourist Industry doesn't want to frighten potential tourists with too many visably armed locals .

Just depends on the tourists that they want. Lol.

I won’t travel to California, Hawaii, New York, New Jersey for the reason I can’t carry.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    From another major Forum , Florida's seems destined to die in Committee . Again .

Just depends on who you ask.

But we can’t count our chickens before they hatch either. States we thought would pass have failed before, as well as there have been a few states that passed it that many thought for sure it would fail too.

By the end of the year we will know soon enough.

SC for instance, introduced both open carry and constitutional carry last year. OC passed. They didn’t want to push to much in one year. However CC did pass the house last year. Waiting on Senate this year. Thankfully SC is a state where bills don’t die when the legislature recesses

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    When I moved out to Maryland in 1990, I was under the impression that my home state of Nebraska was some kind of gun-owner's haven, and it was only later that I realized that it has taken time for Nebraska to come around on certain things. With that said, I'm not surprised that Nebraska would be proposing Constitutional carry.

I hope it passes there.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    I am sure most of you will agree, but who knows.

I think it’s crazy how there are 13 States that have permit-less open carry, requiring no BG checks or training, and they are ok with that, but require permits to carry concealed.

6 of those states also really oppose CC and it would be a surprise if a CC bill were even introduced, much less pass.

What changes all of a sudden that requires a BG check and training just because I put a coat on, or a sweater and it all of a sudden covers my firearm?

In all fairness though… 7 (CO, NE, AL, NC, PA, LA, OH) of those states are trying to pass CC. 2 (PA, LA) of which failed last year, but will try again after Nov 2022 elections.

Interestingly enough 4 states that don’t even have Permitless OC are currently considering CC.

Now if all those 13 would pass CC and those other 4 states pass… we could have 38 states with CC!

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    LA failed because 2 or 3 rhinos switched votes after the governor vetoed
    Boot the rhinos and you get CC

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    @ TrickG - In 1990 , it was still the early days of modern era Shall Issue starting to spread , and Nebraska probably was gun friendly by the standards of the day . It was during the decade of the '90s that the narrative flipped to Shall Issue becoming the norm instead of the exception .

@ Grill Chef - Yes , it can look like a head scratcher , IF you look at a snapshot from a single moment in time , ie today . But that's not how things evolve .

Each State is the cumulation of their Legislative and Cultural history .

What was their baseline back in era of the Uniform Pistol & Revolver Act era of 1900- 1920 ? Had OC always been legal ? Adding OC now is more contentious than if it is simply the preexisting status quo .

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Like it

buying-guns-and-voting-jpg.40445

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    IN Senate basically killed it with BS amendments.

Not quite https://www.nraila.org/articles/20220225/indiana-constitutional-carry-still-alive-in-senate

Looks like the same rhino committee chair that has killed bills in the past struck again to amend and basically neuter the bill

But the IN Senate president is looking to attach Constitutional Carry to another bill that has already cleared committee, thus bypassing the rhinos and getting it to the full Senate floor for a vote. It's already passed the House.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    LA failed because 2 or 3 rhinos switched votes after the governor vetoed
    Boot the rhinos and you get CC

They did try to do a veto override. And it did get the 2/3rd vote in house. It failed in senate by ONE vote.

Thankfully THAT Republican will be out in Nov 22 due to term limits.

LA has a super majority in house and senate, sadly they had a Democrat Gov.

As long as LA retains super majority in house and senate and wins Republican Governor. It should pass in 2023. The same bill will be reintroduced. A super majority vote won’t be needed as long as Governor doesn’t vetoe. The LA Republican candidate for Gov, is campaigning on passing constitutional carry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom