• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I've personally never seen "commie" weapons "refurbished" as nicely as you have done these....they ALMOST make me want one. I wonder, what could you do for my Hungarian Mosin Nagant? Some here have seen and can attest that she is a WELL worn beast that needs some TLC.

You wanna see my Mosin? :innocent0

Give me till tomorrow afternoon, and Ill take and post some good pics. I just recently finished mine. :party29:

Its one of my favorites in my collection.

If you are near the Glen Burnie, MD area tomorrow I can bring it to the shop so you can see it first hand. Mine was beat to hell. It coul be a museum piece now.

Does yours have good headspace and a good bore?

glock_forty5

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2007
    Hey JT,

Ill keep you updated with my process. As soon as I have funds for the rail I want, Ill start on the left side charger. I want to make sure the rail/optics wont interfere befor I make changes. :)

Im debating on wether to keepthe right side charger or not. I think Ill keep the factory handle and add the other............

What are your thoughts on the idea?

Chad,

I would love to see it with dual charging handles. But I am a function before form type of guy...

JT

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    You wanna see my Mosin? :innocent0

Give me till tomorrow afternoon, and Ill take and post some good pics. I just recently finished mine. :party29:

Its one of my favorites in my collection.

If you are near the Glen Burnie, MD area tomorrow I can bring it to the shop so you can see it first hand. Mine was beat to hell. It coul be a museum piece now.

Does yours have good headspace and a good bore?

I'm nowhere near Glen Burnie....actually I'm about 2hrs south of you and working all weekend.

My Mosin is a rugged beast. SUPER reliable (ONLY issues I have are infrequent magazine issues) but seen better days. Numbers don't match, bore is not super but not horrid either. Headspace? I must be frank, I have no idea how I would assess that. The stock is is BAD shape...it's been repaired once, looks like someone used it as a club and snapped the buttstock off. Don't have a cleaning rod and missing one of the barrel rings. Yeah it's in bad shape but damn she is reliable.... not too bad on the accuracy either. Holds sub 2" groups at 50yds using milsurp.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm nowhere near Glen Burnie....actually I'm about 2hrs south of you and working all weekend.

My Mosin is a rugged beast. SUPER reliable (ONLY issues I have are infrequent magazine issues) but seen better days. Numbers don't match, bore is not super but not horrid either. Headspace? I must be frank, I have no idea how I would assess that. The stock is is BAD shape...it's been repaired once, looks like someone used it as a club and snapped the buttstock off. Don't have a cleaning rod and missing one of the barrel rings. Yeah it's in bad shape but damn she is reliable.... not too bad on the accuracy either. Holds sub 2" groups at 50yds using milsurp.

Understood. Calvert County is pretty far away.

Ill takesome pictures of mine then you can decide on what you want to do. I can walk you through the whole project. :)

Likely you dont have bad headspace, if your not having serious accuracy issues or having a hard time opening the bolt after firing. Stick bolt isnt always a sign a bad headspace though, it can mean the chamber is rough, nicked, pitted or out of round.

I can get you a new band and repair and hide the damage. Usually the best way to hide bad damage is to torch the stock, like my PSL and SKS.

Ill post some pics tomorrow. The only thing Im missing is a barrel retainer spring. It broke when I deinstalled it and Im waiting for another one.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Gotcha. The bolt IS a bit sticky....it's definitely not a Rem 700 action but not horrid. I can operate the bolt with the rifle in my shoulder. Takes a bit of manhandling to unlock but not an ungodly amount.

Accuracy is ok I guess, I don't think I could expect sub MOA groups out of 50+ year old ammo and rifle. Need a good 1000 yd range and spotter to figure out exactly what she is capable of. 100 yds is worthless given the 7.62 trajectory. ;)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Gotcha. The bolt IS a bit sticky....it's definitely not a Rem 700 action but not horrid. I can operate the bolt with the rifle in my shoulder. Takes a bit of manhandling to unlock but not an ungodly amount.

Accuracy is ok I guess, I don't think I could expect sub MOA groups out of 50+ year old ammo and rifle. Need a good 1000 yd range and spotter to figure out exactly what she is capable of. 100 yds is worthless given the 7.62 trajectory. ;)

Mine shoots great with heavy ball Privi Partisan (Non Corossive/Current Manufactured) Ammo. Sometimes a recrown, corking the barrel, and putting in a huber trigger really helps.

The Mosins dont seem to like the light ball ammo.

Seems like you have a great base rifl to work on.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Mine shoots great with heavy ball Privi Partisan (Non Corossive/Current Manufactured) Ammo. Sometimes a recrown, corking the barrel, and putting in a huber trigger really helps.

The Mosins dont seem to like the light ball ammo.

Seems like you have a great base rifl to work on.

Well I have a decent variety of stuff from the 148gr surplus, 174gr Silver Bear, 180gr Winchester, and 203gr Brown Bear. I've only used the cheap stuff at teh range. Wanted to see what I could do under the least favorable conditions (unsupported standing/sitting, bad ammo). At 50yds POA needs to be a bit low to hit black. At 100yds even more so, but even getting rounds on paper is difficult....the few that made it indicated she was shooting VERY high....over 12" outside black even with a below black POA. Where the hell is E.Shell or 3rdRCN?

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    would that kind of finish be applicable to my WASR 10?

I'm really diggin that finish

where are you at in Glen Burnie? Thelma ave...what street is that off of?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom