• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    good seems im not the only horader lol I have 4 registered receivers and about alot bent for any ak I would want

Last edited:

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    i forgot how many ak receivers i bent before 10/1, and how many 80% ar receivers I machined before same date...and even if i went and counted, i sure wouldn't post the exact number. :P

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    ok so I just finished drilling/reaming a receiver. Is there a downside if I heat treated trunnion holes as opposed to just hammer,trigger holes?

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    ok so I just finished drilling/reaming a receiver. Is there a downside if I heat treated trunnion holes as opposed to just hammer,trigger holes?

if it doesn't line up with the trunnion when it's time to rivet, you'll have a really fun time trying to slightly egg them if necessary to open them up and allow the rivets through.

there's no wear on the trunnion holes (any forces that do act upon them, affect rivets long before they affect the holes in the receiver, as the rivets are *FAR* softer/malleable), and no need to harden them. just extra steps and time that serve no benefit at all.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    It's a high-wear paint that can be used on door handles even. I spoke with the sherwin williams people about it, and it should work. You should have seen the lady's reaction when, at the end of the transaction, she asked what it was for, and I told her "A hunting rifle" because I already sensed that saying "An AK-47" would have been too much for her to handle.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    be sure and post pics of the rails completely paintless after the first range session....

for the price you paid for that shit, you coulda gotten a LOT of molyresin which goes on lots thinner (meaning it won't interfere with tolerances where they matter) and lasts FOREVER. my aks-74 has probably 17,000 rounds or so through it. the wood has some dings, a little finish is gone on the magazine catch, and there's the standard selector smile. that's it.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    What is the general feeling on tantal kits?

I saw a kit for 350 and found a us chrome lined barrel for 139. Cant find any comm barrels anywhetr. I really want to do an sbr but dont feel like waiting a year unfortunately so I think im going to pass on a krink.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    be sure and post pics of the rails completely paintless after the first range session....

for the price you paid for that shit, you coulda gotten a LOT of molyresin which goes on lots thinner (meaning it won't interfere with tolerances where they matter) and lasts FOREVER. my aks-74 has probably 17,000 rounds or so through it. the wood has some dings, a little finish is gone on the magazine catch, and there's the standard selector smile. that's it.

You must think I paid a lot, lol.

I paid somewhere around $20 for a quart of primer and a quart of colored epoxy. I'm going to paint a derringer with it, and see how that works, then based on that I'll either use it to paint my 10/22's stock, or I'll paint an AK with it.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Also, why would I paint the inner rails? I've never painted the insides of my AKs beyond some overspray. Cold Blue and a dip-n-stir in a bucket of heavy weight motor oil is all they get for the insides.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    as long as it's not rusted to crap i wouldn't turn it down.

US barrel isn't ideal, but better than nothing.

Thanks. I honeslty just want to do something different. Have a Bulgy74 and want something different. So if not a sbr I think id like a side or underfolder.Even considered a 22 trainer but all the kits sold out before i had the money.....

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Different? A tantal is a good start to "different", but you have to remember to make it your own. ;)

purpletantal.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom