• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Hello,

As part of the AK Build party, we need to get a feel for who needs to buy a parts kit. We may or may not get a deal buying in bulk.

Please post to this thread what type of parts kits you are looking for and we can see what we can do.

The recommended parts kit for this build is the Romanian G kit. It's the cheapest currently out there and of good quality.

If you desire an exotic configuration this kit can be customized with alternative stocks (side or underfolder or AR style or Galil)

If you are in for the build and need a parts kit and are willing to participate in a group buy please post here how many and what type you are looking for.

Once we have a count, we can contact some vendors for pricing.

Thanks,

Dave

mch28

Sep 20, 2007
    I'd like to build a Polish underfolder, but if the general consensus is the Romy G kit, that's what I'll build.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Honestly, not to spark a panic or anything, but kits are drying up everywhere... I just bought 2 for myself.

My little brother is still looking for one however, so put me down for 1 kit.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    There are minimal differences in the build between the various types of AK's.

If you want a specialty type rifle (underfolder etc) there are two primary ways to build the rifle.

1) buy the kit for that rifle.
    2) buy the cheap kit you can find and a separate kit for the stock.

Above all build the rifle you want. Don't build a rifle you're not as interested in just because it's simpler. These kits won't be around for ever.

Contemplate this and revise your numbers as appropriate.

The next question is when do we want to buy the kits? Sooner is better but Christmas is coming....

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Numidian, I agree.

We should buy the parts kits sooner then later.

However, based on earlier discussions, when the build was first suggested, we should buy as much stuff after xmas as possible- several members mentioned money would be tight due to the holidays.

Lets do the parts kit demil after the holidays (because that is when we will all be together and can meet the FFL and order the receivers) and order the compliance kits as well.

I tried the copes web site and can order the romy kits listed at the bottom of the page (114 with FLAT RATE 7.99 shipping regardless of the number ordered. Thats a savings of $8 per member right there)

BTW we are up to 11 romy parts kits, possibly -2 if two members interested in underfolders change to those kits.

I also recieved my classic arms kits today.

Barrels look brand new. Paper wrapped inside, strong lands and grooves, like new chrome shiny. Metal finish eastern block so-so, wood, crappy laminate as typical).

1986 kits, EP "G", kinda sloppy- I'll grind mine off.

All in all excellent condition.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Doing compliance packages in early January should be fine.

Or if we have enough people interested right now, we could do a buy now and one in January.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Get the kits now while you still can. Compliance parts will still be available for a long time.

I just got 2 "G" kits from copes, both dated 1978 and in good condition. One has a mismatched bolt and carrier, but i can deal with that. Exellent furniture. Copes has a flat rate of 7.95 for shipping, so in theory you could order 20 kits and have them all shipped for that price.

Jas

Jan 7, 2006
    Dares Beach
    There are minimal differences in the build between the various types of AK's.

If you want a specialty type rifle (underfolder etc) there are two primary ways to build the rifle.

1) buy the kit for that rifle.
    2) buy the cheap kit you can find and a separate kit for the stock.

Above all build the rifle you want. Don't build a rifle you're not as interested in just because it's simpler. These kits won't be around for ever.

Contemplate this and revise your numbers as appropriate.

The next question is when do we want to buy the kits? Sooner is better but Christmas is coming....

I'm good with the Romy, the most I might do is buy a new funiture set down the road.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Are we doing a group buy on the parts kits or are we on our own?

So far we are looking at 11 parts kits.

We have good reviews from both copes, classic arms and ak47s.com

the copes kits are the cheapest at $119 a piece.

With shipping that would be $120.00 a piece.

How soon do we want to order them and how do we want to do the payment?

Dave

p.s. ... They have gone up $5 since yesterday....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom