Another Win for Dick Heller: DC Repeals Limit on Rounds Carried by Permit Holders

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region

DC's 20 Round Limit has been repealed.
    Note that the 10 Round Magazine Limit remains in effect... for now.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Only a matter of time until the 10 Round Magazine Limit for DC and the prohibition of carrying on Metro in DC are repealed as well.

If I had to guess, I think the Magazine Limit will be repealed first and not that long from now.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    The attorney who brought the suit (George Lyon) on the 20 Round Limit was actually interviewed on WMAL earlier this morning by Larry O'Connor.

It's hard to believe that the round limit used to be whatever filled your gun to a maximum of a 10 round magazine, and the "improvement" was 20 rounds.

Great job George and good luck on your other pending cases!

CZ Peasy

Jun 29, 2012
    The WMAL interview was interesting. I had to laugh at Larry O'Connor making the mistake of thinking that magazines larger than 10 rounds could be carried if they were only loaded with 10 bullets. Fortunately, George Lyon promptly corrected him. The mag size limit needs to go. I curse DC every time I have to go there and swap out my mags. The interview can be found on the O'Connor & Company podcast.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    The WMAL interview was interesting. I had to laugh at Larry O'Connor making the mistake of thinking that magazines larger than 10 rounds could be carried if they were only loaded with 10 bullets. Fortunately, George Lyon promptly corrected him. The mag size limit needs to go. I curse DC every time I have to go there and swap out my mags. The interview can be found on the O'Connor & Company podcast.
    Indeed! That was a good catch by George.
    Hopefully it happens soon. George filed a lawsuit on this back in early August:

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    Almost Done!

Case 1:22-cv-01894-DLF Document 22 Filed 01/20/23 Page 1 of 2

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
    FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

DICK ANTHONY HELLER, et al.,

Plaintiffs,

v. Civil Action No. 1:22-01894-DLF

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, et al.,

Defendants.

JOINT STATUS REPORT

Pursuant to the Court’s Minute Order dated January 13, 2023, the Parties submit this

Joint Status Report. As previously advised, the Parties have entered into a settlement agreement

pursuant to which they will move to dismiss this matter once the terms of the agreement are

fulfilled. Unfortunately, that has not yet occurred—but likely will within a week. Accordingly,

the Parties request another one-week extension, until January 27, 2023, of the stay entered in this

case. In the unlikely event the case has not been dismissed within that time, the Parties propose

that they submit another joint status report on January 27, 2023.

Date: January 20, 2023 Respectfully Submitted,

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021
    Almost Done!

Case 1:22-cv-01894-DLF Document 22 Filed 01/20/23 Page 1 of 2

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
    FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

DICK ANTHONY HELLER, et al.,

Plaintiffs,

v. Civil Action No. 1:22-01894-DLF

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, et al.,

Defendants.

JOINT STATUS REPORT

Pursuant to the Court’s Minute Order dated January 13, 2023, the Parties submit this

Joint Status Report. As previously advised, the Parties have entered into a settlement agreement

pursuant to which they will move to dismiss this matter once the terms of the agreement are

fulfilled. Unfortunately, that has not yet occurred—but likely will within a week. Accordingly,

the Parties request another one-week extension, until January 27, 2023, of the stay entered in this

case. In the unlikely event the case has not been dismissed within that time, the Parties propose

that they submit another joint status report on January 27, 2023.

Date: January 20, 2023 Respectfully Submitted,

So what is supposed to happen within a week? Is the ban on mags that hold over 10 rounds being challenged now?

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Supposedly Chief Contee has decided DC FFls can no longer pin magazines and that you can only carry magazines that were "designed" to hold only 10 rounds.

Which to me is troubling because most of my mags are factory "altered" to hold 10 rounds not MFG designed to hold 10 rounds.

Don't really want to get into semantics games with MPD or prosecutors.

Last edited:

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    Now I'm jealous, I thought that I was the only one that the USPS screwed like that.

JOINT STATUS REPORT
    Pursuant to the Court’s Minute Order dated January 23, 2023, the Parties submit this
    fulfilled. Unfortunately, that has not yet occurred. Defendants issued payment via a paper check
    to Plaintiffs, mailed on or about January 9, 2023, but that payment has not yet been received due
    to a mail-forwarding issue at Plaintiffs’ counsels’ offices. Accordingly, the Parties request
    another extension, for two weeks, until February 10, 2023, of the stay entered in this case. In the
    unlikely event the case has not been dismissed within that time, the Parties propose that they
    submit another joint status report on February 10, 2023.
    Date: January 25, 2023 R

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Supposedly Chief Contee has decided DC FFls can no longer pin magazines and that you can only carry magazines that were "designed" to hold only 10 rounds.

Which to me is troubling because most of my mags are factory "altered" to hold 10 rounds not MFG designed 10 hold 10 rounds.

Aka Full Employment for 1911s and Single Stack Pocket Pistol Act .

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018

Which to me is troubling because most of my mags are factory "altered" to hold 10 rounds not MFG designed 10 hold 10 rounds.

So does that mean you can't have one with the pistol when you transfer it, or you can't posses one in the district at all, ever?

LAC_MD

Oct 18, 2022
    Towson
    Now I'm jealous, I thought that I was the only one that the USPS screwed.

JOINT STATUS REPORT
    Pursuant to the Court’s Minute Order dated January 23, 2023, the Parties submit this
    fulfilled. Unfortunately, that has not yet occurred. Defendants issued payment via a paper check
    to Plaintiffs, mailed on or about January 9, 2023, but that payment has not yet been received due
    to a mail-forwarding issue at Plaintiffs’ counsels’ offices. Accordingly, the Parties request
    another extension, for two weeks, until February 10, 2023, of the stay entered in this case. In the
    unlikely event the case has not been dismissed within that time, the Parties propose that they
    submit another joint status report on February 10, 2023.
    Date: January 25, 2023 R

That’s embarrassing…

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom