Another Win for Dick Heller: DC Repeals Limit on Rounds Carried by Permit Holders

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rrrenyer071

MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2020
    University Park, MD
    Afternoon everyone! I've been digging around on the site and not really finding what I am looking for. I'm looking to find out if anyone knows where I can find a class to complete the DC 4 Hour law class and the course of fire? I have my MD Permit and when I took my MD Class, I didn't have the option to get the DC training. Any recommendations on where I can look would be appreciated.

Thanks,

R3

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    Afternoon everyone! I've been digging around on the site and not really finding what I am looking for. I'm looking to find out if anyone knows where I can find a class to complete the DC 4 Hour law class and the course of fire? I have my MD Permit and when I took my MD Class, I didn't have the option to get the DC training. Any recommendations on where I can look would be appreciated.

Thanks,

R3

I know most don't like links but mpd.dc DOT gov

there is a download link at the bottom of this page

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC

Thanks,

R3

You might be able to get an exemption from the range part of the DC permit process but DC has really tightened up on what they accept in terms of prior training.

If, with your MD permit, they let you take just the law portion that would be a big change from their previous practice.

I'd call them and ask -- and get something in writing.
    (202) 727-4275
    firearms.adminbox@dc.gov

Let us know how it goes.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region

Thanks,

R3
    Found this: https://www.dcconcealedcarry.com/class-registration.html
    There's a DC Law Course this Friday morning.

I've heard that Capital Defense Instruction might teach the DC Law portion as well. Reach out to them to confirm that: https://www.capitaldefenseinstruction.com/

You could also try DCSA to see what they offer: https://www.dcsallc.com/

Let us know!

rrrenyer071

MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2020
    University Park, MD
    I know most don't like links but mpd.dc DOT gov

there is a download link at the bottom of this page

Thanks for the reply.

rrrenyer071

MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2020
    University Park, MD

rrrenyer071

MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2020
    University Park, MD
    You might be able to get an exemption from the range part of the DC permit process but DC has really tightened up on what they accept in terms of prior training.

If, with your MD permit, they let you take just the law portion that would be a big change from their previous practice.

I'd call them and ask -- and get something in writing.
    (202) 727-4275
    firearms.adminbox@dc.gov

Let us know how it goes.
    Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.

Happy to help. MPD can be a real hindrance to the process and they really don't like giving out specific answers.

But I would really check with them first before you spend money on a DC law class and then find out that you should have taken the whole class.

Last edited:

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.
    Got one more for you: G&D FFL appears to offer training

As @Kanly said I would check with MPD for exactly what you need.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Thanks,

R3
    I took a DC law class, and subsequently heard that my MD training would not substitute for DV's 16 hr class.

If my MD class had been taught by a DC-qualified instructor, the outcome would have been different. Howeve, I'd still have to take the DC range portion as well, since MD required 25 shots, but DC wants 50.

"Taxation without Representation" is only one of DC's problems.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    I took a DC law class, and subsequently heard that my MD training would not substitute for DV's 16 hr class.

If my MD class had been taught by a DC-qualified instructor, the outcome would have been different. Howeve, I'd still have to take the DC range portion as well, since MD required 25 shots, but DC wants 50.

Well damn. Sorry to hear that.

DC requires renewal every two years: Four hour course and two hour range session/test.
    MD requires renewal after two years for the first renewal, but then it goes to renewal every three years: Eight hour course and range test.

Besides being a pain in the @$$, DC's renewal every two years is such a cash grab on top of it. DC doesn't apply your renewal period to your current permit end date, so your renewal issue date (whenever it's processed... and of course you apply early to ensure it's processed in time) becomes your renewal period start date... even if it's days/weeks early into your current permit.... So you effectively lose additional permit time from that. It's great!

Last edited:

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021
    Well damn. Sorry to hear that.

DC requires renewal every two years: Four hour course and two hour range session/test.
    MD requires renewal after two years for the first renewal, but then it goes to renewal every three years: Eight hour course and range test.

Besides being a pain in the @$$, DC's renewal every two years is such a cash grab on top of it. DC doesn't apply your renewal period to your current permit end date, so your renewal issue date (whenever it's processed... and of course you apply early to ensure it's processed in time) becomes your renewal period start date... even if it's days/weeks early into your current permit.... So you effectively lose additional permit time from that. It's great!

How early do you recommend applying for renewal, to be safe? 90 days?

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    How early do you recommend applying for renewal, to be safe? 90 days?
    I recommend submitting it 60 days or so prior to your current DC CCW Permit's expiration date. When you submit your DC CCW renewal, you'll eventually receive an email confirmation from MPD (I got mine around 10 days later) which says you'll receive an approval/denial decision notice within 60 days. Given that stated turnaround period, playing it safe with the 60 day period made sense. I ultimately received my new DC CCW Permit a few weeks before the expiration of my current one. Better safe than sorry in my case, but it's BS to forfeit that time when it's already such a short validity period.

Last edited:

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021
    I recommend submitting it 60 days or so prior to your current DC CCW Permit's expiration date. When you submit your DC CCW renewal, you'll eventually receive an email confirmation from MPD (I got mine around 10 days later) which says you'll receive an approval/denial decision notice within 60 days. Given that stated turnaround period, playing it safe with the 60 day period made sense. I ultimately received my new DC CCW Permit a few weeks before the expiration of my current one. Better safe than sorry in my case, but it's BS to forfeit that time when it's already such a short validity period.

Thanks, that's good info! I want to maximize the validity period without letting it lapse (as I'm sure many others do as well).

Do you know if anyone has had any issues with submitting a renewal and having their permit expire before the renewal is approved? Will DC still process the renewal, or have they made people start over with a new initial application?

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Thanks, that's good info! I want to maximize the validity period without letting it lapse (as I'm sure many others do as well).

Do you know if anyone has had any issues with submitting a renewal and having their permit expire before the renewal is approved? Will DC still process the renewal, or have they made people start over with a new initial application?
    No prob!

Agreed. I didn't want to get left in bureaucratic limbo without a valid DC CCW permit assuredly in-hand. When the confirmation email I received from MPD said to allow 60 days for a decision, I felt like I did the right thing in getting it submitted to MPD a bit over 60 days prior to expiration to be safe. It could have just as easily taken MPD the full 60 days for them to turn it around. I wound up having a few weeks shaved off my permit period. The way it goes I guess. Better than the alternative.

I personally don't know what happens with respect to submitting/processing a renewal for a permit which has already expired. IIRC, a DC renewal course/range session certificate is valid for a certain period of time (someone will have to refresh my memory for how long exactly, or check with your instructor for the validity period), so you can take a DC renewal course/range session if you have free time earlier in the year and just submit it later on while it's still valid.

rrrenyer071

MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2020
    University Park, MD

I was afraid that would be the case. I guess I will have to pursue this once the school year ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom