Another Win for Dick Heller: DC Repeals Limit on Rounds Carried by Permit Holders

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    So does that mean you can't have one with the pistol when you transfer it, or you can't posses one in the district at all, ever?
    Who knows. Not sure I want to ask for a clarification.

MPD Firearms unit and I don't have the best relationship lol. I think I annoy them by asking too many questions that they just ignore for years until they deign to grant me an answer.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    So does that mean you can't have one with the pistol when you transfer it, or you can't posses one in the district at all, ever?
    I wouldn't risk it myself. It's just not worth the potential penalty which is severe.

This is bound to change eventually with Hanson ... and then I'm going shopping again to celebrate when it does.

Last edited:

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Now I'm jealous, I thought that I was the only one that the USPS screwed.

JOINT STATUS REPORT
    Pursuant to the Court’s Minute Order dated January 23, 2023, the Parties submit this
    Joint Status Report. As previously advised, the Parties have entered into a settlement agreement
    pursuant to which they will move to dismiss this matter once the terms of the agreement are
    fulfilled. Unfortunately, that has not yet occurred. Defendants issued payment via a paper check
    to Plaintiffs, mailed on or about January 9, 2023, but that payment has not yet been received due
    to a mail-forwarding issue at Plaintiffs’ counsels’ offices. Accordingly, the Parties request
    another extension, for two weeks, until February 10, 2023, of the stay entered in this case. In the
    unlikely event the case has not been dismissed within that time, the Parties propose that they
    submit another joint status report on February 10, 2023.
    Date: January 25, 2023 R

Unreal.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    I've always assumed it was the latter.
    I always assume the worst and most restrictive interpretations for DC. It's just not worth it to get near the line given how vindictive they can be to CCW holders in DC. Hanson will hopefully put all this in the rear-view one day. I already have my shopping list prepped.

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    I wonder if the check cleared yet!

The Parties request
    another extension, for two weeks, until February 10, 2023, of the stay entered in this case. In the
    unlikely event the case has not been dismissed within that time, the Parties propose that they
    submit another joint status report on February 10, 2023

If no extension is received today, does the stay expire? Do 20 round max restrictions become law again at 12:01AM?

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    Monday, February 13, 2023
    :deadhorse:
    order .Order Mon 02/13 10:19 AM
    MINUTE ORDER dismissing this case with prejudice in light of the parties'24 Stipulation of Dismissal. See Fed. R. Civ. P. 41(a). The Clerk of Court is directed to close this case. So Ordered by Judge Dabney L. Friedrich on February 13, 2023. (lcdlf2)

Well done!

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021
    Monday, February 13, 2023
    :deadhorse:
    order .Order Mon 02/13 10:19 AM
    MINUTE ORDER dismissing this case with prejudice in light of the parties'24 Stipulation of Dismissal. See Fed. R. Civ. P. 41(a). The Clerk of Court is directed to close this case. So Ordered by Judge Dabney L. Friedrich on February 13, 2023. (lcdlf2)

Well done!

Does this mean the 20-round/two reload limit is gone for good? Or are there more steps or appeals to follow?

Last edited:

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    Does this mean the 20-round/two reload limit is gone for good? Or are there more steps or appeals to follow?
    As a condition of the settlement, the MPD Chief (as empowered), had the limitation deleted from the DC Code. It was published. The restriction no longer exists in the DC Code (no longer the law).

Mag capacity restrictions are next!!!

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    As a condition of the settlement, the MPD Chief (as empowered), had the limitation deleted from the DC Code. It was published. The restriction no longer exists in the DC Code (no longer the law).

Hallelujah!

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I think we're going to be thanking Justice Thomas for a long time.

I told my wife that a lot of gun restrictions in anti-gun states and jurisdictions were going to topple like dominoes in the aftermath of Bruen, but what I didn't anticipate was just how rabidly the anti-gun crowd was going to be in their efforts to continue to restrict us. It's unbelievable how many new laws are being created in the anti-gun parts of the country.

In any case, it's another win, and with every win we have additional precedence thanks to the Bruen decision.

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021

That's great news. Thanks!

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018

Of course, I am not a lawyer, this is how I understand the situation.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Of course, I am not a lawyer, this is how I understand the situation.
    As much as I'm glad it was settled/repealed, part of me wishes this would have gone to trial, ending in a favorable ruling that would have established precedent so another jurisdiction wouldn't be able to try this.

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    As much as I'm glad it was settled/repealed, part of me wishes this would have gone to trial, ending in a favorable ruling that would have established precedent so another jurisdiction wouldn't be able to try this.
    DC is dirty like that! DC gambled with Heller1 (against the urging of MD, NJ, NY, etc) and LOST! That, along with MacDonald became precedent. DC lost at the appellant level on carry permits and declined to appeal the injunction. Some say if DC would have appealed that to the Supremes, NYSRPA might have happened then, in DC with a lesser majority.

I believe things are favorable for the magazine capacity and carry on transit cases before the summer ends..... Would DC appeal either of those?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I told my wife that a lot of gun restrictions in anti-gun states and jurisdictions were going to topple like dominoes in the aftermath of Bruen, but what I didn't anticipate was just how rabidly the anti-gun crowd was going to be in their efforts to continue to restrict us. It's unbelievable how many new laws are being created in the anti-gun parts of the country.

In honor of our Fearless Advocate , rarely on the board these days , let's play Substitute the Noun ( Right) .

End of Slavery in Maryland > Jim Crow .

Same political party , don't need to change that noun .

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    DC is dirty like that! DC gambled with Heller1 (against the urging of MD, NJ, NY, etc) and LOST! That, along with MacDonald became precedent. DC lost at the appellant level on carry permits and declined to appeal the injunction. Some say if DC would have appealed that to the Supremes, NYSRPA might have happened then, in DC with a lesser majority.

I believe things are favorable for the magazine capacity and carry on transit cases before the summer ends..... Would DC appeal either of those?
    Oh DC will most definitely appeal both of these cases, but I'm sure the other states will try to talk them out of going all the way to the Supreme Court if they lose on appeal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom