• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It's packed here today, but from what I can see, it's the typical show. Lots of old guns, knives, antique ammo, etc. I'm glad I came.

dancnr

Jul 27, 2011
    Washington County
    I saw a Carcano M91 cavalry carbine with a tag for 895 on it, I hope he just got his tags mixed up cause there were some decently priced mausers at the table. Lots of guns you don't see very often, G43s, Johnsons, a couple of Japanese paratroop takedowns, and enough trapdoors to arm a reconstituted 7th cavalry. Good mix of gun tables and related parts tables so if you are hunting some small hard to find original you may be able to find it.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I saw a Carcano M91 cavalry carbine with a tag for 895 on it, I hope he just got his tags mixed up cause there were some decently priced mausers at the table. Lots of guns you don't see very often, G43s, Johnsons, a couple of Japanese paratroop takedowns, and enough trapdoors to arm a reconstituted 7th cavalry. Good mix of gun tables and related parts tables so if you are hunting some small hard to find original you may be able to find it.

Saw that Carcano also, I about died when I looked at that tag. A lot of people were asking astronomical prices for things but other than that it was ok

since i had to work today, for those who went, any feedback?

Typical Baltimore Antique show, but very crowded. Lots of REALLY neat stuff and I saw a few deals I had problems passing up (I'm currently unemployed). There was a correct '98 Krag rifle in VG/Excellent condition for $750. Had this been a month ago, I would have jumped on it.
    I saw one elusive first model rear sight for a '96 Krag Carbine marked $600 and the vendor was willing to sell it for $500. To a Kragaphile, that was actually a good deal.
    Met up with Chevellenut71 and we looked for some parts for his newly aquired Krag. I think I was helpful, even though we didn't find the stock he was looking for.

This years Krag count (excluding Bubbas) was 43 correct Springfild Krags.

Analogy- There was a Trapdoor for every cheap knife at a standard Maryland show.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    since i had to work today, for those who went, any feedback?

I was there all afternoon. There were a lot of people, but still room to comfortably move around and see everything. Tons and tons of antique firearms, many in really nice shape, many costing thousands of dollars. More beautiful antique rifles than you will ever see in one place. Hardly anyone was buying anything. Sellers were annoyed. Some were bitching and moaning. It was hot inside the main hall, probably 80 degrees. The lighting is bad. Overall, the two words I think best describe the experience are huge and overwhelming. There's no way you can get through it in three or four hours without skipping over lots and lots of stuff. The $10 it costs to get in is a bargain.

On an interesting note, if anybody watches Pawn Stars, there is an older guy in a bunch of episodes named Rob (tall, a bit heavy set, grey hair, glasses) that brings in antique firearms, usually revolvers, to sell. He was at the show this afternoon and I spoke with him for awhile. Nice guy. He's an antique firearms dealer and was at the show walking around looking for stuff to buy.

dancnr

Jul 27, 2011
    Washington County
    I talked to a couple dealers and it seemed like there wasn't much buying happening, they all said it was slow, esp right around lunch time if I picked up a rifle they wanted to deal, which was nice for me, except that I didn't really find anything that met both my interest and the amount of cash I brought.

NiteOwl

Grasshoppa
    Sep 19, 2011
    Pylesville, MD
    My wife and I were walking around and she wondered aloud if the IMA guys from Family Guns would be thrre because it seemed like it was their kind of show. About 5 minutes later, we were walking along and there was Christian chatting with someone. Kinda cool. :) Didn't feel like I know enough to even talk to the man though!

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    My wife and I were walking around and she wondered aloud if the IMA guys from Family Guns would be thrre because it seemed like it was their kind of show. About 5 minutes later, we were walking along and there was Christian chatting with someone. Kinda cool. :) Didn't feel like I know enough to even talk to the man though!

Psst. See this post from me: http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2257908&postcount=17. I think you passed by a "keeper" Type 38 today, judging by your wish list.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Yes, here and there around the hall. One guy had four or five nice ones, assuming you mean complete rifles and not parts.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Decent show, but I also noticed nobody buying. I had an item I was trying to sell, and it was no dice. I think the economy is really hitting people hard now.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Stopped by late in the day on my way home from the PA auction (pay dirt!) and made one quick pass of the show, looking for a Ross bayonet w.o. US surcharge marks and French 20th century slings. Walked away w.o. either but did get a new book on the Whitney Wolverine pistol from Stuart Mowbray's table.
    For me the best display was the one featuring early autoloaders, mostly Lugers. He had a very rare Grant Hammond .45 pistol that was part of the US Trials that gave us the M1911. And a single digit SN Swiss 1900 Luger that looked brand new. Sweet!

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Yes, here and there around the hall. One guy had four or five nice ones, assuming you mean complete rifles and not parts.

Thanks. I am looking for parts though. Specifically a Type 99 bolt assembly. Mine has a bent bolt handle. I think I'll head up tomorrow and see what I can find.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    There were lots of parts for sale. I had zero time to look at them. Go early. You'll need the entire day to get through all the aisles. To find one guy that might have it, check the tables along the outer walls at the four corners in the large exhibition hall. I think he's at the corner to your immediate left when you walk into the large hall from the smaller hall after you enter the building. Anyway, at one of the corners, there's a guy with multiple Arisakas that might have a bolt assembly.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It seemed to me that there was some horse trading going on between collectors, bout when it came to sales, most people were limiting their purchases to smaller items rather than the more expenive things on the tables. From my perspective it seems like a lot of these antique firearm collectors price their things outside of a range that would actually get them sold. For instance, I saw a guy with a table of some really neat old Philadelphia muzzle loading derringers, but they are kind of a specialty thing and were priced to where the only person who would buy them would probably be someone who specifically collects old derringers.

For me, I was checking out old Winchester 1886s, and they ran the range from being fairly reasonable, to a good bit outside what I'd think the value would be, even account for age, condition and features.

It was a good show though, and I'll definitely go back again. If I was a wealthy man, it would be a playground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom