• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I did pay attention - I read down through the policy pages several times and then took it as an open book quiz. It’s not rocket science and shouldn’t be treated as if it’s some kind of trick question - it’s about safety, and as such there shouldn’t be trick questions where the answers aren’t clearly defined by the text of the policy.

If that’s how they want to treat it, then I don’t want any damned part of it.
    Your not the only one, I think the ones that write this test also do the learners permit at the MVA. They changed up the questions last year and I have been hearing of lots of kids failing, but it makes them go back and re read them. My first 3 boys passed without reading the book and daughter had to take it 3 times. I failed my bike learners test the first time. They are good at making questions ambiguous. If I recall my steel test and even holster test, I know I failed at least once if not more than that.
    I almost always am shooting steel there.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    I went there one time with a friend, and we went to the handgun range. He brought a stand, and paper, and we walked it out to shoot at. Is that how it is on the different ranges there? You bring your own stuff and walk it out?
    Yes, bring your own stuff and walk it out. There are, however, steel target frames available at the 25 yard line on the pistol range to which to attache your cardboard target backing.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Oof. Why did this have to be the first reply I saw lol

Perhaps because it was the first reply.

Oof. Thats a hike for me, which is unfortunate bc 300yd sounds nice!

If you live within minutes of the AGC, as I do, then Thurmont isn't a bad drive for special events and such. While never a member there, I used to attend a lot of matches and special training events.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Here is what the current policy says on ammunition:

F. Ammunition to be used when shooting at Steel Targets
    1. Pistol Caliber Ammunition (applies to Reduced Range Targets of Less than 40 yards)
    a. Centerfire: up to .45 caliber and shall not exceed 1,500 feet per second
    b. Rimfire: Any round with a muzzle velocity of less than 1500 fps
    2. Rifle Ammunition (applies to Full Range Targets on the 100 yard / 200 yard ranges as well as of 40 yards or greater for scheduled events on the Shooting Bays and 200 yard range)
    a. Centerfire: Muzzle velocity shall not exceed 3,150 feet per second
    i. Exception: Frangible ammunition with a muzzle velocity of greater than 3,150 is acceptable
    ii. See II.F.5 below for specifically prohibited ammunition b. Rimfire: All rimfire rifle ammunition is permitted on Full Range Targets

5. Prohibited ammunition
    a. Tracer and incendiary
    b. Armor piercing, steel/tungsten core projectiles. This includes but is not limited to M855/SS109, M855A1, and 7N6 cartridges
    c. Buckshot, and Steel Shot
    d. 50 BMG and all long-range tactical rounds are prohibited
    e. Centerfire bottleneck rifle cartridge labeled “magnum”

I would recommend anyone who shoots steel there and hasn't read the updated rules to check them out
    Oooohhh. That is a little different than the old rules, isn't it? :party29: It's like I tell my guys at work, "Good things can happen when you read the instructions."

BPH102687

I like things and stuff, mostly stuff.
    Apr 11, 2021
    Ellicott City
    Yes, bring your own stuff and walk it out. There are, however, steel target frames available at the 25 yard line on the pistol range to which to attache your cardboard target backing.
    Got it thanks. And is it all BYO ammo? Or is there a little hut or something there that sells ammo too?

BPH102687

I like things and stuff, mostly stuff.
    Apr 11, 2021
    Ellicott City
    Perhaps because it was the first reply.

If you live within minutes of the AGC, as I do, then Thurmont isn't a bad drive for special events and such. While never a member there, I used to attend a lot of matches and special training events.
    Yea I'll have to make the journey up there to scope out the 300yd range. Thanks!

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    The way the guest fee policy rubbed me the wrong way (especially the way it appeared to steamroll through any opposition), I can't deny that. I also got enough of a taste of the higher-up meetings to lose even more faith in humanity and hopefully never partake again.
    However, I still admit that if you want a place to safely shoot outside and/or play some action shooting sports, you can't beat it (at least not in central MD), and I'm still going to renew my badge. It still seems like a bargain. Especially if you are already a member of MSI (which you should be) and use them as your club.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Here is what the current policy says on ammunition:

F. Ammunition to be used when shooting at Steel Targets
    1. Pistol Caliber Ammunition (applies to Reduced Range Targets of Less than 40 yards)
    a. Centerfire: up to .45 caliber and shall not exceed 1,500 feet per second
    b. Rimfire: Any round with a muzzle velocity of less than 1500 fps
    2. Rifle Ammunition (applies to Full Range Targets on the 100 yard / 200 yard ranges as well as of 40 yards or greater for scheduled events on the Shooting Bays and 200 yard range)
    a. Centerfire: Muzzle velocity shall not exceed 3,150 feet per second
    i. Exception: Frangible ammunition with a muzzle velocity of greater than 3,150 is acceptable
    ii. See II.F.5 below for specifically prohibited ammunition b. Rimfire: All rimfire rifle ammunition is permitted on Full Range Targets

5. Prohibited ammunition
    a. Tracer and incendiary
    b. Armor piercing, steel/tungsten core projectiles. This includes but is not limited to M855/SS109, M855A1, and 7N6 cartridges
    c. Buckshot, and Steel Shot
    d. 50 BMG and all long-range tactical rounds are prohibited
    e. Centerfire bottleneck rifle cartridge labeled “magnum”

I would recommend anyone who shoots steel there and hasn't read the updated rules to check them out

Ok. Thanks for your update! You did have me wondering, as I just looked for steel info yesterday, and your update isn't what I found.

The link below shows differently online, entitled AGC RANGE RULES AND SUPPLEMENTS BINDER. That is what I opened yesterday, then Steel Target Policy Chapter XX. If I open that Steel Target Policy Chapter XX PDF, it shows outdated "magnum" information consistent with my question. Only if I "download again" does the new and corrected info you provided appear.

Not sure if IT can make the old and incorrect information disappear, or perhaps operator error on my part, and I should have "downloaded again" as a matter of course. But either way, I thought I'd mention it, if it can help somebody else from likewise accessing old and incorrect information.

Thank You again for this most recent update!

Last edited:

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Got it thanks. And is it all BYO ammo? Or is there a little hut or something there that sells ammo too?
    BYO, there's no official ammo sales that I know of. There may be the occasional on-the-spot dealing between folks, but don't count on it.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Yea I'll have to make the journey up there to scope out the 300yd range. Thanks!

I'm not sure if they're accepting new members right now or not, but you can check their website and find an event to check out. I used to shoot a lot of John C. Garand matches there, and also some IDPA. I also did some handgun training there.

The rifle range is small, like 10 positions (20??), but there are no RSOs or scheduled 10 minute cease fires every half hour like at the AGC. It is too far a drive for general practice and such as long as the AGC is only ten minutes from my house.

The two clubs are entirely different. At Thurmont, the swimming pool, skeet ranges, and action pistol bays are the main focus, while the quiet little rifle range is way at the far end of the property, on the banks of the Monocacy.

The AGC is huge, and crowded on weekends. The reason you never have to wait for a lane is because the main 100 yard range has 100 positions. It can be a challenge to get a close-in parking space at 11:00 on a Saturday, though. Weekdays it's a lot quieter. But if you live only minutes away, you can easily swing by after work on a Tuesday for instance.

Also the 50 lane pistol range and the (20 position??) 200 yard range are usually less hectic, even on weekends, although the 200 yard range especially is often reserved for matches.

You can shoot Action Pistol events at both Thurmont and the AGC as a non member, by just paying the match fee. That's a good way to get a feel for the place and meet some people.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Ok. Thanks for your update! You did have me wondering, as I just looked for steel info yesterday, and your update isn't what I found.

The link below shows differently online, entitled AGC RANGE RULES AND SUPPLEMENTS BINDER. That is what I opened yesterday, then Steel Target Policy Chapter XX. If I open that Steel Target Policy Chapter XX PDF, it shows outdated "magnum" information consistent with my question. Only if I "download again" does the new and corrected info you provided appear.

Not sure if IT can make the old and incorrect information disappear, or perhaps operator error on my part, and I should have "downloaded again" as a matter of course. But either way, I thought I'd mention it, if it can help somebody else from likewise accessing old and incorrect information.

Thank You again for this most recent update!

No problem. That’s weird I’ll take a look

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Your not the only one, I think the ones that write this test also do the learners permit at the MVA. They changed up the questions last year and I have been hearing of lots of kids failing, but it makes them go back and re read them. My first 3 boys passed without reading the book and daughter had to take it 3 times. I failed my bike learners test the first time. They are good at making questions ambiguous. If I recall my steel test and even holster test, I know I failed at least once if not more than that.
    I almost always am shooting steel there.
    I might revisit it, but for the moment I'm just pissed - I'm a fairly intelligent guy, and if I can't pass the test using the actual policy wide open on the other screen of my computer workstation, (which is something they actually recommend doing) then it's a bad test.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Hello - I am a member of the AGC RSSOP committee, and we had the quiz updated about 6 months ago or so when the steel target policy was updated. When I saw your comments I did some digging and it appears that there are a few bad links on the website that will still take you to the old quiz, which I can understand why you would be confused at the questions. The issue is being brought to the attention of IT and will hopefully be resolved shortly.

Please use the link to the current quiz, which is found under the training section on the site: https://agcrange.org/quiz/steel-target-certification-quiz-2022/

There is no intention for there to be trick questions, just questions to ensure that you read and understand the rules. I don't think any attempts at the old quiz will be held against you, but if you have problems please let me know and we can get it resolved.
    Oh wow! That's a whole different quiz! Thanks! My faith in AGC has been restored! (to be fair, I was still very happy with my membership there, even if I wasn't happy with the quiz.)

I'll study up again and take this one from the link you sent. :party29: :thumbsup:

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I had a buddy try to take as well. He had the same problem. Although I think he finally passed.

Oh wow! That's a whole different quiz! Thanks! My faith in AGC has been restored! (to be fair, I was still very happy with my membership there, even if I wasn't happy with the quiz.)

I'll study up again and take this one from the link you sent. :party29: :thumbsup:
    I just "took" the new quiz myself and it is a lot more straight forward than the previous quiz. There aren't any trick questions, but some of the questions need to be read very closely.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    It seems like it’s the same old same old since I first considered joining. I’m not a fan of politics and bickering.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    No - there's no hint at what you got wrong, only that you didn't pass, and they give you your score.

Like I said, if they want to be dumb about it with trick questions and questions that can't be answered directly from the policy itself, I don't want any part of it.

Lol, seriously? They even give you the chapter where the information is located.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Do they tell you which questions you got wrong? I was looking at taking the test, but just sitting in my browser section completed . There are couple questions that I probably got wrong.

So after the 3rd time, it’s ban for life. It would be cool to shoot steel, but $120 for fee and target == to about 200 12x18 splatter target I use. But it would be cool to shoot steel.

It’s $20 for the Steel badge, not $120

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom