• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The second week of the early ML season only occurs in Zone B and is for antlerless deer only.

Yup. Though if you want to go back to hurling pointy sticks, you can hunt bucks that last week in October. Can’t carry a bow and a ML at the same time to take your pick though.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yup. Though if you want to go back to hurling pointy sticks, you can hunt bucks that last week in October. Can’t carry a bow and a ML at the same time to take your pick though.

I quit early ML season years ago. The difference in big buck encounters was amazing(private property).

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I quit early ML season years ago. The difference in big buck encounters was amazing(private property).
    I’ve noticed the same phenomenon on public lands too. Before early Muzzleloader was implemented I saw more big bucks, and more bucks in general, during period of late October to mid November. I’ve complained about the same thing over the last few years regarding the Youth Firearms season too. Bow hunting while wearing orange in the woods with gunshots ringing out all around with fathers and sons in orange traipsing around the woods is always counterproductive to decent archery hunting conditions. It’s good that you have some private land to insulate you from these pitfalls. I personally still do enjoy the early muzzleloader season, but definitely see there’s been a direct correlation between not just the size of the bucks, but the number of deer sightings in general.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Congrats, Nice Buck! Going to the taxidermist?

Cheers and yep, we’ll see how the eastern shore Jason (Bone Head is his company) compares to Jason Poole, who has mounted a couple for me. I’ve heard good things so I’m excited to see what comes (this time next year)... I don’t hunt for the horns but the meat (although I’ll admit the bucks seem to taste better somehow); that said, I’ll never complain about a new decoration. My memory is awful from too many concussions in my youth, but the mounts bring back vivid good memories!

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    I was a little less lucky.
    M6zkwIu.jpeg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am hoping this guy moves to daylight hours later this week (ignore time and date stamp. Game camera isn’t set properly).

Attachments

• C071F7DB-A129-4274-B2F5-F4A11B7730A7.jpg
      C071F7DB-A129-4274-B2F5-F4A11B7730A7.jpg
      48.4 KB · Views: 207

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I've public land hunted for 30 years.
    "Early seasons" were destroyed by a few things:

1st was the introduction of "cheap" inline Muzzle loaders.
    Prior to that I would bump into no other hunter on public land (Howard and Montgomery counties).
    About the time Bass pro opened in Hanover, cheap "ready to hunt" muzzle loader packages became a thing. I remeber walking into BPS and seeing a Pallet of bubble pack ML for $199, included a mounted and sighted scope and 3 bullets, powder slugs and primers. Package said "Ready to hunt"
    And they were not kidding,, Opening day I was in my stand and 3 idiots pull up at 20 min after light, get out and rip open the bubble packs. (yes I set up on an escape route 100yds from the road, but these fools had to park next to me and tromp into the woods).

Next decline was the introduction of crossguns into bow season.
    after ML season was destroyed,, I concentrated on Bow season.
    Bow hunting took a ton of practice and dedication and kept the slobs out of the woods. Crossbows brought the slobs out of "shotgun season" and into bow season. Again, years later,,I was in my stand and 20 minutes after light a truck pulls up 300 yards away, 2 fools get out and drag a large cardboard box into the woods,, a ladder stand and start setting it up. When I alerted them that I was hunting here, they cussed me out.

I’ve noticed the same phenomenon on public lands too. Before early Muzzleloader was implemented I saw more big bucks, and more bucks in general, during period of late October to mid November. I’ve complained about the same thing over the last few years regarding the Youth Firearms season too. Bow hunting while wearing orange in the woods with gunshots ringing out all around with fathers and sons in orange traipsing around the woods is always counterproductive to decent archery hunting conditions. It’s good that you have some private land to insulate you from these pitfalls. I personally still do enjoy the early muzzleloader season, but definitely see there’s been a direct correlation between not just the size of the bucks, but the number of deer sightings in general.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've public land hunted for 30 years.
    "Early seasons" were destroyed by a few things:

1st was the introduction of "cheap" inline Muzzle loaders.
    Prior to that I would bump into no other hunter on public land (Howard and Montgomery counties).
    About the time Bass pro opened in Hanover, cheap "ready to hunt" muzzle loader packages became a thing. I remeber walking into BPS and seeing a Pallet of bubble pack ML for $199, included a mounted and sighted scope and 3 bullets, powder slugs and primers. Package said "Ready to hunt"
    And they were not kidding,, Opening day I was in my stand and 3 idiots pull up at 20 min after light, get out and rip open the bubble packs. (yes I set up on an escape route 100yds from the road, but these fools had to park next to me and tromp into the woods).

Next decline was the introduction of crossguns into bow season.
    after ML season was destroyed,, I concentrated on Bow season.
    Bow hunting took a ton of practice and dedication and kept the slobs out of the woods. Crossbows brought the slobs out of "shotgun season" and into bow season. Again, years later,,I was in my stand and 20 minutes after light a truck pulls up 300 yards away, 2 fools get out and drag a large cardboard box into the woods,, a ladder stand and start setting it up. When I alerted them that I was hunting here, they cussed me out.

Totally agree, coupled with as Albeight said, placing youth deer season right at the peak of the rut. This not only screwed up public land hunting, its effects carried over to private land as well. I was almost shot while sitting in my stand on private property by a lone yoot(illegal to do) when a young deer jumped up and ran straight towards me and the yoot took a hail Mary potshot at it. The yoot was not on my land, but the deer was.

"Cross Gun" was a term I thought was only used by a couple of guys I used to hunt with. They used Xbows before they were permitted to the general hunting public. Haven't heard that in a while. Lol.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    "Cross Gun" was a term I thought was only used by a couple of guys I used to hunt with. They used Xbows before they were permitted to the general hunting public. Haven't heard that in a while. Lol.

Yeah I've heard that one many times in the past...you always know where a person is coming from when you hear that term :lol2:

Personally I'm a fan of them for two reasons: Freedom and shoulder injuries. As much as it sucks to have competition in the woods, it sucks worse to not have any support for the activity you love (hunting), and have it get hampered by anti's. The more people you can get to enjoy hunting, the better chance you have to keep doing it.

And I ONLY bow hunt (vertical), so if I ever injure my shoulder (which is likely the way things are going), I'd hate to have to give up hunting all together. I like having the option of a crossbow, even though I've never used the one I have.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yeah I've heard that one many times in the past...you always know where a person is coming from when you hear that term :lol2:

Personally I'm a fan of them for two reasons: Freedom and shoulder injuries. As much as it sucks to have competition in the woods, it sucks worse to not have any support for the activity you love (hunting), and have it get hampered by anti's. The more people you can get to enjoy hunting, the better chance you have to keep doing it.

And I ONLY bow hunt (vertical), so if I ever injure my shoulder (which is likely the way things are going), I'd hate to have to give up hunting all together. I like having the option of a crossbow, even though I've never used the one I have.

All in all, I don't condemn Xbow hunters for the same reason I don't want some recurve schlub telling me I'm not a real archer for using a compound bow. Whether you're shooting a piece of osage orange strung with deer sinew, a state of the art Mathews compound or a cross bow, you're still launching a stick through the woods via string and limbs with all the same ills that befall all archers. We would all love to have the woods to ourselves though. That's just natural.

Last edited:

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016

'Merica! :beer:

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Nice so far. Peroxide cream? It’s a great thing to learn and you’ll save a lot of money.

That's skin. :toothless I don't have a pot deep enough to boil the whole thing, so I'm going back and forth between the pressure washer and the Victorinox. Fact: skinning the skull is much harder than any other bone on a deer's body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom