• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topshift5

Jul 6, 2023
    Waldorf
    Hi all!

I’m going to finally pull the trigger on AR15 over the weekend and I needed some opinions/guidance from those that have went the DIY Build route or Buy route and if you had to do it all over again would you still choose the same route.

This will be the first and only AR15 that we will have. We don’t plan on buying more. Maybe in the future we will expand to different firearms (shotgun and handguns).

1. The use of this AR will strictly be for recreational purposes at shooting ranges. Preferably outdoors if we can find good ones locally.
    2. Budget is ~$600 on the top end.
    3. It will get used probably once or twice a month at the range until I get bored of it.

So… after doing some research I’ve came upon this Diamondback Firearms DB15 that I can order it from local shop and get it in my hands in about a week timeframe.

My thing is should I just go for this fully ready to go out the box one or my $600 could be better spent piecing out putting together a custom one.

I came to find out if I choose to go custom route and get a stripped lower ($99 from Hanover Armories, I was told I need to go through the Form 77R process and wait a week) if I get a fully assembled it’s only the Form 4473.

For a DIY I was thinking:
    Stripped lower ~$100
    Upper ~250
    Stock ~$50
    Lower Parts Kit ~50
    Bolt Carrier Group ~ 100
    Misc parts ~100/150

If I can make a DIY that is far superior to Diamondback DB15 for a few more bucks I don’t mind going close to $700 if it can feel that much different.

Or should I just get the DB15 and spend rest on ammo and call it a day?

If you have built a rifle around 6-700 price point would you do it all over again or just go buy a new mass produced rifle and use the money saved towards ammo as theoretically aren’t all AR’s able to shoot a target down range?

Topshift5

Jul 6, 2023
    Waldorf
    I’ve heard Delton a few times. I’m going to have to look into that and compare it. There are too many different options in that and isn’t 1:9 twist too low? Shouldn’t I be aiming for 1:8 or even 1:7 twist rate as it allows for higher grain rounds?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I’ve heard Delton a few times. I’m going to have to look into that and compare it. There are too many different options in that and isn’t 1:9 twist too low? Shouldn’t I be aiming for 1:8 or even 1:7 twist rate as it allows for higher grain rounds?

You are way over thinking this. 1:9 is fine you are not going to need projectiles heavier that 69gr for your stated purpose. When you want to get into longer range shooting say 600yds then you build a better rifle with a quality barrel, maybe 1:8 twist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    1 in 9 twist is fine. You don't need 1 in 8 unless you are shooting 75 grain or heavier bullets.
    [EDIT] military tracer rounds need 1 in 7 because they are longer.

Last edited:

rob.mwp

Jul 5, 2023
    Hazard County
    What about a Stag 15? Lifetime warranty?

How would that compare to the Delton or Ruger?

Sorry, excuse my ignorance. I had someone tell me the Stag was slightly better, but I honestly don't know anything.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md

Sorry, excuse my ignorance. I had someone tell me the Stag was slightly better, but I honestly don't know anything.
    I don’t own one and I am sure they are fine rifles but I was trying to stay as close as possible to this gentleman’s budget as possible while recommending what I consider a good rifle for the price

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I’m for buying a complete rifle in this case. If you build one you might have to buy various tools that add to the cost. Think of all the miscellaneous shipping on top of the tool cost too. I think it’s hard to build under $600 if you are starting from zero.

So get a decent AR and you can have that as your baseline for future comparison for potentially more of them.

Topshift5

Jul 6, 2023
    Waldorf
    Windham Weaponry:
    This is unfortunately out of stock and can't oder it. Also I'll keep and eye on it and see if it shows back up in stock. I know this is dumb but I prefer the look of the free float hand guard and if this had it, I'd buy it asap and get it shipped to a local FFL.

Shoot, I left them off my short list and I have one sitting in the safe. My mistake
    Haha if it's collecting dust in the safe let me know lol.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

I can vouch personally for the Stag, the Windham, and the Ruger. I have zero experience or knowledge of the Delton. Full disclosure I am very, very far from an expert on AR’s, but I own the three mentioned above and they are all 3 very well built (in my limited estimation), but again I don’t carry either in battle or have to daily trust my life to them. Flat range, slow-fire only except for the Windham which went thru a carbine class on a miserably hot day in very dusty conditions (which ran flawlessly btw).

I will however offer my (non-expert) opinion in that I’ve read a ton about the 3 models mentioned, and have seen many good reviews in TV gun shows and internet reviews, but have quite literally never seen Delton even mentioned other than “Delton is available as a budget alternative”. Again, that and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee, as they say.

Good luck.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    You could do what I did and buy a Hanover Armory AR. Then after shooting it some times start replacing the pieces with upgraded parts one by one until you get it just right. There won't be much of the original left but it is a good learning experience.

rob.mwp

Jul 5, 2023
    Hazard County
    I don’t own one and I am sure they are fine rifles but I was trying to stay as close as possible to this gentleman’s budget as possible while recommending what I consider a good rifle for the price
    Understood.. the Stag was just slightly more (but again I really don't know the difference).
    I know this is dumb but I prefer the look of the free float hand guard and if this had it, I'd buy it asap and get it shipped to a local FFL.
    I agree 100%. The free floating hand guard just looks better (imo).
    I can vouch personally for the Stag, the Windham, and the Ruger. I have zero experience or knowledge of the Delton. Full disclosure I am very, very far from an expert on AR’s, but I own the three mentioned above and they are all 3 very well built (in my limited estimation), but again I don’t carry either in battle or have to daily trust my life to them. Flat range, slow-fire only except for the Windham which went thru a carbine class on a miserably hot day in very dusty conditions (which ran flawlessly btw).

I will however offer my (non-expert) opinion in that I’ve read a ton about the 3 models mentioned, and have seen many good reviews in TV gun shows and internet reviews, but have quite literally never seen Delton even mentioned other than “Delton is available as a budget alternative”. Again, that and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee, as they say.

Good luck.
    Thank you.. any of the 3 you prefer and why? I wouldn't be carrying mine into battle either, lol. Appreciate the response. Itll be a bit for me, but I find this thread interesting.
    You could do what I did and buy a Hanover Armory AR. Then after shooting it some times start replacing the pieces with upgraded parts one by one until you get it just right. There won't be much of the original left but it is a good learning experience.

How does that compare to the others listed above? I don't know anything about Haniver Armory, but it looks like they build all their firearms in house? Does that make them superior in some way? They're a little more pricey then the ones listed above.

@Topshift5 just a thought... I'm sort of in the same boat interested in an AR but I opted to get a .22 built on the AR platform. Fun to learn about, shoot with the kids and not break the bank while doing so. I opted for a Tippmann M4-22 Pro. In the last few weeks we've managed to shoot a lot more for a lot less and still get the feel for it.

I know not really what you're looking for but I couldn't find anyone saying anything bad about it and it cost around $480. Just an idea, maybe it wasn't on your radar, maybe you're dead set on a "real" AR.

Thanks for the replies!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

If you're worried about being cheap , you are 100:1 going to be shooting. 55gr. Instead of 77gr

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom