• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Bump up your budget and it'll save you money down the road.
    This was my first thought. Bump it to $850 and you could get an IWI Zion-15, which is a really high quality entry-level rifle. Frankly, other than the barrel not being chrome-lined (no big deal), there's not much more to ask for for a general-purpose rifle. After that, optic of your choice and you're set.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    Screenshot_20230717-200042.png

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Buy first, build later. The Windham Weaponry is best in class, best value for your budget.

Best is nebulous concept .

But you're warm . My frequent observation is that the Windham HBC is the * Yardstick * of Md legal AR 5.56 .

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Windham Weaponry:
    THIS
    I bought this one a few years ago, and love it. I bought is mainly because of the excellent warranty. I contacted WW first, and asked if I changed stuff like the stock, or handguard, if it would affect the warranty and they said the cosmetic stuff wouldn't. I also asked if I handed it down to a kid, it would still be warrantied and they said it would. I got it to specifically hand down one day to my daughter, because she won't try to fix it herself. So, easy win. The finish is nice, much nicer than my Colts, and it has been 100% reliable with whatever cheap commie trash I shoot thru it, or fine American brass.

Last edited:

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This is another one of my favorites; Windham Weaponry dissipator. This is a heavy barrel model. I obviously replaced the factory handguards. More money though.

rifle-556-ww.jpeg
    rifle-556-ww.jpeg

Last edited:

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    For my first, I built the lower and purchased a complete HBAR upper from Rock River Arms. Recently I purchased the WW that is mentioned above.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    If you're a tinkerer, build your first one and know you're going to destroy your budget with tools and parts.
    If you're asking if you should build or buy, just buy one. You'll stay within budget for sure.

You sound like me with my first. I was thinking "oh, I can do this for $600". And then I bought a BCM upper. $1200 later and I didn't even like it. Ended up changing everything again later down the road lol. And then needed one in every caliber that sounded interesting.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Of all the not so many AR's I have, only two are relatively as purchased. My hands down favorite is a simple 16" HBAR carbine in 5.56 caliber with carbine gas system and GI front sight base. It has a red dot sight, antique 44mm job, and BUS rear. I did find a DD two piece no rattle handguard at a dirt cheap price. Oh, and I installed a Phantom DNA gathering flash suppressor/comp. It was an 'opportunity' build...waiting for a good deal on parts. Counting the sights...I have maybe $550 in it...them a day prices.

I pick it up before my LWRC. I just like it.

ETA: Just check this carbine out..make that $713 to build it. But it is a well built carbine..decent stuff in it.

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Of all the not so many AR's I have, only two are relatively as purchased. My hands down favorite is a simple 16" HBAR carbine in 5.56 caliber with carbine gas system and GI front sight base. It has a red dot sight, antique 44mm job, and BUS rear. I did find a DD two piece no rattle handguard at a dirt cheap price. Oh, and I installed a Phantom DNA gathering flash suppressor/comp. It was an 'opportunity' build...waiting for a good deal on parts. Counting the sights...I have maybe $550 in it...them a day prices.

I pick it up before my LWRC. I just like it.
    I bought my first AR15, and it was also the first AR15 I sold off. Every AR I currently own was built by me, and built a lot more that were sold off over the years to fund new projects. I am picky, I am a trigger snob, I like as much handguard as I can get for a certain barrel length, and I want a clean dot/scope sight picture without a FSB. I have done some budget builds, and frequently build off of Aero precision's M4E1 and M5E1 receivers, but often times spending a little more, like a $89 Larue MBT2 trigger vs a cheap crap mil-spec or even a good $70 ALG trigger is well worth it

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I bought my first AR15, and it was also the first AR15 I sold off. Every AR I currently own was built by me, and built a lot more that were sold off over the years to fund new projects. I am picky, I am a trigger snob, I like as much handguard as I can get for a certain barrel length, and I want a clean dot/scope sight picture without a FSB. I have done some budget builds, and frequently build off of Aero precision's M4E1 and M5E1 receivers, but often times spending a little more, like a $89 Larue MBT2 trigger vs a cheap crap mil-spec or even a good $70 ALG trigger is well worth it
    Not sure of the intent on your reply to my post. Obviously you don't like my carbine. That's okay, I like it. Its not junk, it has decent stuff in it.

Yes, spending a little more will get you better components. My intention was to illustrate not a huge amount of money needs to be spent to get a decent AR-15 carbine. Several others have identified factory rifles that fill the bill. I am not into boutique fanfare, either in whole arms or components. There is a law of diminishing returns.

I like a good sound arm. That is the way this one is built. I has a good trigger, good charging handle, upper receiver and so on. I don't need to spec it out to appease anyone. Obviously, it is frowned upon but that's okay. Its my carbine and it works.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Not sure of the intent on your reply to my post. Obviously you don't like my carbine. That's okay, I like it. Its not junk, it has decent stuff in it.

Yes, spending a little more will get you better components. My intention was to illustrate not a huge amount of money needs to be spent to get a decent AR-15 carbine. Several others have indicate factory rifles that fill the bill. I am not into boutique fanfare, either in whole arms or components. There is a law of diminishing returns.

I like a good sound arm. That is the way this one is built. I has a good trigger, good charging handle, upper receiver and so on. I don't need to spec it out to appease anyone. Obviously, it is frowned upon but that's okay. Its my carbine and it works.
    I didn't read it like that. I think he was just explaining what he liked.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I didn't read it like that. I think he was just explaining what he liked.
    I thought that at first, and if so, apologies are forwarded.
    Read it a couple times. I had no idea what the point was until the closing lines. He addressed me via quote. It comes across as assumptive that what I pointed out as possible, not suggested, wasn't in the grain of a decent arm.

I know he is into upper end builds and I have no issue with those builds. He is knowledgeable and capable. But he doesn't even know what I wanted in the carbine...he doesn't even know what is in it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

Yes, spending a little more will get you better components. My intention was to illustrate not a huge amount of money needs to be spent to get a decent AR-15 carbine. Several others have identified factory rifles that fill the bill. I am not into boutique fanfare, either in whole arms or components. There is a law of diminishing returns.

Not sure why it quoted your post, might have clicked on the wrong spot as I was typing an unrelated reply to the thread. In fact didn't see your post till the bell icon showed a reply, might be a glitch on my side going through work, VPNs and things that don't always work great with forums. Definitely, no offense intended. Point was everyone has their preferences, everyone has a budget to work within, and a good carbine with FSB and all can definitely be the best rifle for someone's purpose. Currently my favorite AR is an SBR-ed P80 lower, side folder, a lot of stuff I had laying around the parts bin, some cheap knockoff parts, and a 4.5" AR22 barrel and BCG with a suppressor tucked under the handguard. Probably the least I spent, definitely under $500 before optics, and I bring it to the range just about every time I go.

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Best is nebulous concept .
    QFT! As a musician, I've seen this all over the instrument message boards:

"What's the best step-up trumpet."
    "Who makes the best cymbals."
    "What's the best snare drum for xxx type of music."
    "What's the best high note mouthpiece"
    "What's the best trumpet for my budget?"
    "What's the best set of drums for my budget?"
    "What kick drum pedal is the best?"

That answer depends on a lot of factors, and it also depends on whose hands the item happens to be in. A trumpet player can spend thousands and thousands on top-tier gear and still sound like garbage. Sadly, I know a lot of players who do just that - they throw all kinds of money at a problem best solved in the practice room with the end result being a very mediocre player with really top-tier gear.

Although I'd submit that there is a threshold of quality that a person shouldn't dip below, I think people too easily get caught up in the minutia of what "best" means, particularly when oftentimes there's no real measurable way to tell the difference between various things when it comes to practical functionality in the hands of the average shooter for guns that for many folks won't ever be used outside of the controlled confines of a shooting range.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Not sure why it quoted your post, might have clicked on the wrong spot as I was typing an unrelated reply to the thread. In fact didn't see your post till the bell icon showed a reply, might be a glitch on my side going through work, VPNs and things that don't always work great with forums. Definitely, no offense intended. Point was everyone has their preferences, everyone has a budget to work within, and a good carbine with FSB and all can definitely be the best rifle for someone's purpose. Currently my favorite AR is an SBR-ed P80 lower, side folder, a lot of stuff I had laying around the parts bin, some cheap knockoff parts, and a 4.5" AR22 barrel and BCG with a suppressor tucked under the handguard. Probably the least I spent, definitely under $500 before optics, and I bring it to the range just about every time I go.
    Apologies forwarded.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    As Nutnfancy often says it's the philosophy of use that will determine how you build out your rifle and what you like on it. I don't need flashlights on all of my carbines and I don't need scopes either. All personal preference and budgeting. People will say that Aimpoints are the best red dots, for me the Romeo 5s are the best for what I want and need. I've definitely saved money on CR2032s with the auto shutoff feature. I build my rifles for a specific use. It's impossible to build all the configurations but mine range from 5" barrels out to 20" depending on what caliber and what it's for.

I bought my first rifle and it's nothing like what it started out as.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom