• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Our very own Rockzilla as an RIA 1911 for pickup. He’s going to take it on as a project firearm as he’s got lots of parts. At the price point they come to, it’s a very attractive offering!!

I have no “regerts” on this Bul Armory. At $850 +39.99 for shipping. It’s a good deal if you want to hit the ground running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Picked up some matte white paint and some glow in the dark green. Gonna give the front sight a little glow up. Try to make it pop some more.

- Brent

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Picked up some matte white paint and some glow in the dark green. Gonna give the front sight a little glow up. Try to make it pop some more.

- Brent

Kool...give an update, on how that works out
    some even try orange, something thats gonna
    stick out ..

-Rock

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Kool...give an update, on how that works out
    some even try orange, something thats gonna
    stick out ..

-Rock

Yessir! I put three coats of matte white down yesterday. I put my first coat of glow green on prior to leaving for work this morning. Came home and peeked at it. Decided it needed another coat of green as well. Once I pull the tape off I’ll share a little picture with ya

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Well my carefully laid plans were for naught. When I removed the tape last night, it took a lot of paint with it. So I restarted and ended up painting the whole front sight. I don’t know if there isn’t a quantity enough to glow, or this paint just doesn’t. I’ll tell you one thing. The front site is easier to catch now! Ultimately I’ll end up putting a tritium front in prior to this gun moving to any sort of carry role.

- Brent

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Unless there have been sudden break through , glow in the dark paints requirel a lot of direct " charging " from a flashlight;, or a long time in direct sunlight for a little bit of glowing.

They're reportedly popular in Europe, so lots of people think that's useful .

In usual USA context, most use high contrast and/ or neon for front sight. Optional white undercoat .

Old- ish school is red , similar to red ramp inserts . Nail polish from dollar store is fastest and cheapest to try different combinations.

Recommended by the S&W Forum are particular of Testor's Neon Orange and Neon ( safety vest) Lime Green . With a white undercoat . I just looked at mine , but Hobby Lobby put the price stickers over the main labels, and I'd need a magnifying glass to read the really fine print by the bar codes .

Last edited:

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Unless there have been sudden break through , glow in the dark paints requirel a low of direct " charging " from a flashlight;, or a long time in direct sunlight for a little bit of glowing.

In usual USA context, most use high contrast and/ or neon for front sight. Optional white undercoat .

Old- ish school is red , similar to red ramp inserts . Nail polish from dollar store is fastest and cheapest to try different combinations.

Recommended by the S&W Forum are particular of Testor's Neon Orange and Neon ( safety vest) Lime Green . With a white undercoat . I just looked at mine , but Hobby Lobby put the price stickers over the main labels, and I'd need a magnifying glass to read the really fine print by the bar codes .
    Bingo...used my moms nail polish long ago and there's that name again "Testor's" .....

-Rock

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Arrg ! Seeing it quoted , it auto corrected " lot of light " to " low of light " . I'll go correct .

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    …I just looked at mine , but Hobby Lobby put the price stickers over the main labels, and I'd need a magnifying glass to read the really fine print by the bar codes .

Thank you! I went looking for Testers model paints awhile back and found absolutely NONE. ZERO! Not even online. Someone alluded it had been taken off market due to some chemical (lead?) in it but, I don’t think I ever checked Hobby Lobby.

(I use it for marking stuff according to caliber and wound up going paint marker route (probably only the white of which would be useful for front sights .. :-/

Amazon product ASIN B09D9M2R5R

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Had to check several craft stores . The Neons apparently aren't stocked by all such stores . But Mrs Biggfoot and Littlefoot44 do lots of yarn stuff , and get around a lot .

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Our very own Rockzilla as an RIA 1911 for pickup. He’s going to take it on as a project firearm as he’s got lots of parts. At the price point they come to, it’s a very attractive offering!!

I have no “regerts” on this Bul Armory. At $850 +39.99 for shipping. It’s a good deal if you want to hit the ground running.

Agreed!

I tripped over one of the SDS Tisas “Service Model” .45’s for $300 last year and was so impressed by it and then a Rock Island 1911 .45 another shooter brought to an IDPA match I committed to putting a Filipino or Turkish CNC-CAD 1911 9mm single stack on the “to do” list …

Came across the Rock Island “Ultra FS” 9mm single stack 1911, shot several mags through it to confirm it is POA/poi inside 25 yards and came in first with it in my club match, literally, right out of the box! Not doing a thing to it, it needs nothing more done!

Paid $500 (520 shipped) from Family Firearms to my FFL (price shown on webiste is always much higher than the price one gets by emailing them, 100% legit online vendor):

So impressed by ^that^ single stack I was about to order another in “Commander” flavor when it occurred to me I’m sitting on a stack of old ParaOrdnance P-18 .38 Super / 9mm mags and I seemed to recall several shooters reporting those mags function in the Rock Island double stack 9mm 1911’s. Once I confirmed that I ordered the RI Pro Ultra Match 17+1 9mm.

$830 ($850 shipped) I expect to pick it up from my FFL next Monday when he returns from vacation: https://www.familyfirearms.com/product/rocki-56645-pro-ult-mtch-hc-9mm-17r

Bul Armory, SDS Tisas, Rock Island - Right now is a GOOD a time for 1911 afficianados!

Attachments

• IMG_4285.jpeg
      IMG_4285.jpeg
      78.1 KB · Views: 35
    • IMG_4286.jpeg
      IMG_4286.jpeg
      84.9 KB · Views: 38

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Unless there have been sudden break through , glow in the dark paints requirel a lot of direct " charging " from a flashlight;, or a long time in direct sunlight for a little bit of glowing.

Yeah I don’t hold much hope of the glow being too beneficial. I’ll tell ya, she’s a neon green front sight now. I’ll have to take a pic later. Going to the range with dad after work. He’s decided it’s time to learn to shoot a pistol (finally!). He’s always been a shotgun man. It’ll be our third time to the range together.

I on the other hand visit a minimum of once a week! Excited to shoot more!

- Brent

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Neon Green paint on purpose will be a lot more vibrant than non glowing glow paint .

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    So impressed by ^that^ single stack I was about to order another in “Commander” flavor when it occurred to me I’m sitting on a stack of old ParaOrdnance P-18 .38 Super / 9mm mags and I seemed to recall several shooters reporting those mags function in the Rock Island double stack 9mm 1911’s. Once I confirmed that I ordered the RI Pro Ultra Match 17+1 9mm.
    9mm..

Yeah the Para double stack mags work, now on the 14 round 45acp Double stacks a slight mod is needed for it to catch. But the MecGar Para 14 round mags fit with no issues. The BBR 3.10 45acp went from 10 rounds to 14.

-Rock

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Yessir! Doing some practice presentations, that front sight pops out much quicker. A definite improvement for now!!

- Brent

Search on glow in dark paints one time or here

-Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads