Cargill v Garland (5th Circuit Bump Stock Case)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    This will get interesting, because it touches ex post facto law, the limits of regulatory authority when felony crime is involved, and both 2A and 5A issues.

FWIW, it will almost certainly set the precedent that will decide the arm brace cases.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Funny thing is that if you read the article, I believe it shows that they know that we are right.
    The article is a bit off-center anyway.

The author whines about poor definitions by lawmakers, then blames gun mfrs for taking actions within the letter of the law regarding bumpstocks, and goes on to complain about ghost guns, while overlooking a key element in the serialisation of AR firearms. (Don't anybody tell him).

As noted above, this decision will affect the issue of arm braces for ARs, which are both far more useful than bumpstocks, and far more likely to impinge upon the NFA and SBRs.

The guy concludes with a terrifying bit of Panic Prose:

"Indeed, Bruen creates a perverse incentive for both gun manufactures and gun owners. If a new, extremely dangerous weapon is invented tomorrow — or if an existing, equally dangerous weapon is briefly made legal tomorrow — people who want to expand the scope of the Second Amendment have an incentive to distribute that weapon as quickly as possible.

Because once that weapon is “in common use,” it can no longer be banned."

Obviously he has overlooked the fact that there are numerous common use arms which are still effectively banned, despite Bruen.

All that said, it does seem to me that the NFA may be getting nibbled away, a small piece at a time.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Ultimately, this case isn't about NFA, it's about whether or not ATF can effectively create felony law by regulatory fiat. Particularly when they are reversing previous regulations.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Ultimately, this case isn't about NFA, it's about whether or not ATF can effectively create felony law by regulatory fiat. Particularly when they are reversing previous regulations.
    Kinda sounds like the DOJ, using civil law to create felons in Rahimi.

The various cases this term looks like the Administrative
    state is going to get a haircut when it comes to Chevron doctrine.

Fate

Mar 18, 2012
    This case will tell us a lot about how serious the USSC is about reigning in rogue agencies within our government. I expect them to find wiggle room and defend the status quo. I would be happy to be wrong.

owldo

Ultimate Member
    The left is buttmad

Sent from my SM-T733 using Tapatalk
    Yeah .. If Chevron gets overturned via Relentless, Inc. v. Department of Commerce then Garland v. Cargill should become a moot point ... The number of federal regulations that would become void is mind boggling !

Last edited:

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I doubt it will be mooted if Chevron is overturned. The opinion will be succinctly in favor of Cargill, stating: "See Chevron".
    Would they issue a decision, or remand for redecision at CA level in light of changes to Chevron? And didn't GOV try to waive right to deference in anticipation of Chevron undergoing substantial change?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom