• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    A fellow sent me a trail cam pic today. He said this was taken in Ridge. For you not in SOMD, that is in St. Mary's County not far from Point Lookout. The picture isn't the greatest but I don't think there is much denying that it isn't a coyote.
    I can't see it being a domesticated dog and it's biuld and size are not a fox. I just wonder if he has any buddies down there.

Coyote.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    Crap that's a big picture. If anybody can resize it or instruct me on resizing it I will fix it. It always ticks me off when somebody posts a picture this big.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Can't see your picture at all Joemac, but "IrfanView" is a great free photo handling software:
    http://www.irfanview.com/

1) Download and install.
    2) Open the program, then click "File" from the top toolbar, then "Open".
    3) Find your pic in your hard drive, then open it in IrfanView.
    4) Select "Image" from the toolbar, and about halfway down, click "Resize/Resample".
    You can select certain width/height dimensions in pixels, the new image size as a percentage of the old image, or you can select "half/double".

Once you've changed your pic, save it under a new name to retain the original large pic. I usually add an "s" at the end of the file name of any modified pics so I know I changed the size.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    That should do it. I already have a photobucket account but the first time I tried it, it was just a thumbnail. This is a good size.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Thanks for posting that for me Joe. I have not been on MD Shooters for so long that I forgotten about it. Nice to be back.
    At any rate, that picture came from my personal trail camera and was taken down in Ridge, MD not far from the Fire Department (sorry, you're not getting any more detail than that :D)
    I was not 100% sure it was a Yote so I sent it to a couple of DNR buddies and they confirmed.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Had a turkey fly over my house not far from there.

I haven't seen any turkey for 20 years down here.

Now regular upland wildlife is popping up all the sudden at the end of the earth?

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Had a turkey fly over my house not far from there.

I haven't seen any turkey for 20 years down here.

Now regular upland wildlife is popping up all the sudden at the end of the earth?

I had about 20 (wild turkey) in my yard about four years ago. Dogs chased them off after I finally let them out of the house. They saw the birds and were going nuts. I counted and let them loose. The German Sheppard almost got one (glad he did not). Seen a few since (dogs are now gone) on a regular occasion. This in middle Calvert.

And yes, that sure looks like a 'yote. But they are pack animals. Where's the rest of them, I wonder?

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    My coworker from Leonardtown, said the same thing.:party29:

I've seen them in flocks of 20+ in St. Marys City and Valley Lee in roadside fields. I have had them fly across the road in front of me and seen them dart back in the woods on a few occasions as I was driving. I know a guy that called on in here in Leonardtown during the spring season.

Yea, I was wondering where the rest were too. If there's one there has to be more. I'm planning on doing some predator calling this Winter, was planning on foxes but now I'm prepared to see coyotes too. My guess is there are more here than anybody realizes.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I wish the damned turkeys that DNR put out on the farm would fly away. Them things are aggravating during deer season. They make so much noise you can't hear a tornado coming. I can usually count 20-40 on the filed in the mornings on average, maybe as few as 15. When Turkey season comes around, you never see them LOL.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    The DNR used one of my buddies farms to transplant about 200 turkeys to the Prince Frederick area in '92-'94 timeframe. I believe they were from Garrett county. To this day, they're all over his parents farm year 'round.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    When I think coyote I think the Ohhhhhhhhhhhh oh oh ohhhhhhhhhhh nighttime orgasmic yell you hear on old western movies. Haven't heard that yet but it would be kinda cool. :)

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ....And yes, that sure looks like a 'yote. But they are pack animals. Where's the rest of them, I wonder?
    Agreed that it's a coyote.

They don't always run in packs. This time of year, there will be small, loose groups of juvenile animals. Mature pairs will be raising pups and hunting for them, often alone.
    The DNR used one of my buddies farms to transplant about 200 turkeys to the Prince Frederick area in '92-'94 timeframe. I believe they were from Garrett county...
    They did get some in Garrett County then, but a HUGE number also came from Green Ridge State Forest in Allegheny County. They had traps everywhere up there for a few years.
    When I think coyote I think the Ohhhhhhhhhhhh oh oh ohhhhhhhhhhh nighttime orgasmic yell you hear on old western movies. Haven't heard that yet but it would be kinda cool. :)
    Mature coyotes that are paired or part of a small group don't make a lot of noise. The juvenile packs are really vocal, but less a long howl and more yips/barks. They typically fire up in the late afternoon as they gather to prowl.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    The DNR used one of my buddies farms to transplant about 200 turkeys to the Prince Frederick area in '92-'94 timeframe. I believe they were from Garrett county. To this day, they're all over his parents farm year 'round.

Trust me, I know what you mean, over the past 6 years. 75 the first time and then 3 years later 100 more, and now they are every damned where.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom