• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    There is no negotiating with this woman. 0% chance.
    Then do what you must. Pre-divorce some 30 years ago I consulted with an attorney. One thing I recall him saying was to not permit her to walk out of the house with anything, e.g. jewelry. Once it is out the disposition i unknown and well not something that can then be valued. You rae "consulting" here on MDS, I can almost guarantee your ball-and-chain is doing likewise with her friends or whatever. Move fast, move decisively. IANAL.

HanzGrueber

Aug 23, 2015
    Annapolis
    She wants a 50/50 split then that applies to her chit too.

Does she have any Jewelry, Valuables or Collectables?

Did you contribute to any of her education expenses?

Her Car, Her 1/2 of the house and any of the bills she generated is on the table

Unless she's got you dead to rights with cheating or abusing then Alls Fair in Love and War.

Stay Strong. You're going through Hell so don't stop, just keep going.
    Yup, this is all relevant and in the order. I have all major items. She is listing all minor items from the beginning of time like a lunatic. She was cheating on me and MD no longer cares as a legal divorce reason for its proceeding. As of Oct 2023 that has been changed. If you cheat IMO- you should get nothing and get put on a spike. Texas knows what they are doing... meanwhile - MD - still a bunch of idiots.

HanzGrueber

Aug 23, 2015
    Annapolis
    What about a trust? Transfer all the firearms and NFA items into 3rd party trust.
    I dont have them in a trust and i have a few NFA items so it would also be costly. I never got around to this , nor did i think my wife would betray our marriage after 15 years - and I'm now an idiot.

md77

Aug 17, 2022
    MoCo
    Seems it would be sensible to remove the guns from the home if you have to move out because it is a danger to leave them there with her, and she could face legal repercussions.

HanzGrueber

Aug 23, 2015
    Annapolis
    If she had half a brain or her attorney knew the logistics, i would assume they can look me up within MSP for official registered ownership.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I dont have them in a trust and i have a few NFA items so it would also be costly. I never got around to this , nor did i think my wife would betray our marriage after 15 years - and I'm now an idiot.
    I am truly sorry. Catch22. If you did all this stuff prior then you would still get crap for it from her. Why are you doing all this?! You do not trust me?! You do not love me?! Cannot win

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    If she had half a brain or her attorney knew the logistics, i would assume they can look me up within MSP for official registered ownership.
    This can be a real problem. The MSP has acquisition records, but does not record that you sold something. Be prepared for a list coming your way.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    It's my understanding that anything you had prior to getting married is yours to keep. Hopefully some of the stuff you have like the guns you purchased before your marriage.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Close all credit cards and lock down the credit agencies. My ex re-opened accounts since she knew my SSN. The credit companies said to change my SSN, like that was a real option.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Hello MD Shooters,

I am currently getting separated, divorce is coming in a few weeks. My wife is trying to claim every single thing I have and hence, half of my firearm collection and related expenses. Its absolutely crazy as she considers this marital assets even know they are all registered and owned by me. She never fired them, never touched them and doesn't even know the safe combo. My question - to help protect me from having to sell or buy her out of the total value of the collection wen she tries and claim them as 50% her, i was told that I could sell them to a friend now for a wholesale price with an official contract and then only have to provide her half of the sale amount and then purchase them back after the fact. Obviously if i have form items that will complicate this transfer and i may need to transfer appropriately as well with the MSP. This is risky but may be needed and has anyone done this and how did it turn out in the divorce process? Looking for some help and advice on success stories as my wife is bat *ish crazy. She has a history of mental illness, has a dismissed PO on her record for domestic violence over the past month, and an expired medical marijuana card so she cant physically take possession of them, likely only bought out for the 50% value. But if I can reduce this amount from 10K split of property to a $500 bill of sale split, is this legal and legit?
    Delete your post and seek competent legal counsel.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    IDK about MD (likely the same but IDK) but in CA the hard line for assets was the serving (maybe filing but I think serving is right) of divorce papers. If you can gift items away before then that's good. The flip side is I've heard of bitches maxing out credit cards so that debt gets halved with the spouse in the divorce as a big FU. Per my review OP missed the deadline.

Back in the day I saw the signs and transferred back 45K of stock that was gifted to me by my Grandfather during the marriage, before I got served. My ex was apoplectic when she found out about that later; but I had proof of the timeline so she was SOL on that. :D

IIRC from the paperwork I had to file my attorney told me to value everything at garage sale prices that you want to get rid of.
    I bought no firearms during my ******-up marriage so that was not a problem. There is a lot of wiggle room there, even with OP's firearms.

In a divorce it's basically dividing up the communal assets and debts. I wanted the house but kept harping on her having the newer vehicle, which made crazy ex value the vehicle more. There is some psychology there for OP to think about.

In the end I lined up 50K to buy her out; except for child support, which I got reduced later by changing jobs. As referenced above, money well spent to get out of a shitty situation.

IANAL but per my experience even the craziest of people suddenly get religion the closer things get to a final judgement; either their attorney gets them to see the light, or the Judge drops the hammer.

Believe it or not my old attorney got promoted up to presiding judge of the Sacramento Superior Court recently. Back in the day I was referred to her by a homie who worked for me. Strange how life works.

Stay strong OP.

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    Hello MD Shooters,

I am currently getting separated, divorce is coming in a few weeks. My wife is trying to claim every single thing I have and hence, half of my firearm collection and related expenses. Its absolutely crazy as she considers this marital assets even know they are all registered and owned by me. She never fired them, never touched them and doesn't even know the safe combo. My question - to help protect me from having to sell or buy her out of the total value of the collection wen she tries and claim them as 50% her, i was told that I could sell them to a friend now for a wholesale price with an official contract and then only have to provide her half of the sale amount and then purchase them back after the fact. Obviously if i have form items that will complicate this transfer and i may need to transfer appropriately as well with the MSP. This is risky but may be needed and has anyone done this and how did it turn out in the divorce process? Looking for some help and advice on success stories as my wife is bat *ish crazy. She has a history of mental illness, has a dismissed PO on her record for domestic violence over the past month, and an expired medical marijuana card so she cant physically take possession of them, likely only bought out for the 50% value. But if I can reduce this amount from 10K split of property to a $500 bill of sale split, is this legal and legit?
    Yea. If it was purchased during the course of the marriage. It's marital property if no prenuptial was setup after the fact. You have to pretty much bite the bullet and take it. It's gonna hurt. You're gonna cry. But rest assure it will eventually be over.

BrianS

Apr 26, 2010
    How does she know what is or isn't in the safe if she doesn't have the combination and know-how to open it?

Coehorn

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    A good shovel and a bag of quicklime shouldn't cost more than 40 bucks.

So many divorce horror stories and people still chomp at the bit to have a vengeful ball and chain shackled to their ankle.

Good luck, OP. Think hard if there is anything that would prevent her from being a lawful gun owner. Crush her.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    A good shovel and a bag of quicklime shouldn't cost more than 40 bucks.

So many divorce horror stories and people still chomp at the bit to have a vengeful ball and chain shackled to their ankle.

Good luck, OP. Think hard if there is anything that would prevent her from being a lawful gun owner. Crush her.
    Whether she can legally own guns or not is not the issue; it's the money (value of the guns) that needs to be split.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom