• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    As many as i could. I'd shoot the doe first then start on the fawns. If you shoot the big one first the small ones will either stand there and say WTF is happening or only run a few yards aways.

My best is 4 deer in 2 minutes :cool:
    You may need to learn how to add first.. ;)

Edit.. NM..I need to learn to read first.. haha

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If the doe has baby(button)bucks, I always take the doe, otherwise it all depends on how empty my freezer is and what friends request.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Don't get big deer by shooting all of the little ones

On the farms that I hunt on the owners would revoke my permission to hunt if I let any of them walk. The rule on damage permits is normally if its brown it's down. I hunt for meat not for a mount on the wall.

Personally I agree that shooting the doe first is then the fawns is the best way to maximize your hunting effort.

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    My first time hunting I was using a friends 12 guage. I hit the doe right in the sweet spot and the slug went through and knocked the front legs of the fawn crippling it. I ended up popping it in the head after it crawled around and then rolled into a stream, question is does this count as "taking shelter" in water, I know there is something against the rules with shooting a deer in the water. I eneded up shooting it in the head and dragged it out. It was pretty depressing but it didn't turn me away from hunting.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Don't think rolling into water counts as "sheltering."

As for OP, my understanding is that if the fawns no longer have spots, they're not longer nursing, so taking mommy is fair game.

Agree with letting them grow up to be big too, but on the whole, deer are nuisance animals.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    As a buddy of mine put it, "Shoot momma first, 'cause the babies won't run."
    As long as all the meat is headed for the freezer and eventually the table, kill 'em all.
    Is there an acute shortage of deer I haven't heard about?
    Better they go down in front of my muzzle than in front of my car.

Interesting hypothetical, especially since I've watched two fawns grow with their mother out behind the house this year. Personally, I couldn't do it. If I see a doe with fawns, I leave them be. If it was a matter of survival, it would definitely be different. In the current situation where there are deer a plenty, i will let them go. It's just a personal rule I have. I didn't want to go without a mother, so why would I want to do that to something else? Animal or human. Just the way I was brought up was with a particular respect to nature. Take what I need, but don't cross certain lines.

No disrespect meant to anyone who would take them, everyone is entitled to feel how they want.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    Been watching a doe and two fawns come out at my stand just before dark every few days for weeks. Been leaving them be in hopes one of the hacked up young bucks nearby would come out with them. Not opposed to shooting them, just have not felt the need to yet. Later in the season that will probably change.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    On the farms that I hunt on the owners would revoke my permission to hunt if I let any of them walk. The rule on damage permits is normally if its brown it's down. I hunt for meat not for a mount on the wall.

Personally I agree that shooting the doe first is then the fawns is the best way to maximize your hunting effort.

Yes!!!! Fastest way to get thrown of the farm I hunt. I made the mistake one time of telling the farmer (my father in law) that I let a spike walk after a hunt one evening. Got an ass chewing like you've never seen about why I was there hunting the deer.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Been watching a doe and two fawns come out at my stand just before dark every few days for weeks. Been leaving them be in hopes one of the hacked up young bucks nearby would come out with them. Not opposed to shooting them, just have not felt the need to yet. Later in the season that will probably change.

Nothin like fishin with live bait.;)

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    if yall raised beans yall would shoot every one of them cockroaches on site, spots or not. their crop devastating car wrecking cockroaches.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I agree...

It goes against everything I was taught my whole life...

However I'm not judging anyone else...

I'm not judging your decision either, but times and deer populations are different these days. The deer population, in many urban areas has reached critical mass. I have several areas I deer hunt. One place, the deer pop. has been severely controlled(read slaughtered) by the county. I do not shoot any does there. The others, the deer are out of control. We cannot keep up with them. We shoot as many does as we can, any time we can. Ultimately, it is for the good of the herd.

Ask yourself "why won't I shoot does and or fawns?" If you are satisfied with your answer, then live long and prosper. Know that there are those of us who see the bigger picture and will do what is necessary, however unpleasant it may be.

This is my opinion and not a condemnation of anyone with a differening view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom