• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    As many as i could. I'd shoot the doe first then start on the fawns. If you shoot the big one first the small ones will either stand there and say WTF is happening or only run a few yards aways.

My best is 4 deer in 2 minutes :cool:

I hunt regular firearms season and I've been faced with this scenario more than once. This is pretty much what I would do shooting in whatever order would likely maximize the yield. If I got them all, I'd butcher the fawns myself and take the doe to a processor and pay for a professional job of preparation.

Now whether I'd be able to get the shots off fast enough with my bolt action slug gun is another matter. :D

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I've never killed a doe with fawns or killed any fawns and I never will unless I'm starving.

I guess since they're overpopulated in areas people feel differently about it so I'm not judging. It's not for me though.

I always figured if the fawns get killed off in numbers then there won't be as many decent bucks or large does around me. The coyotes nearby have already gotten enough of them since last year.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    ...and?

I don't get the "ethical" question with this. We're not killing puppy dogs. We are 'collecting' food.

I am not trying to sound like a smart-ass either.
    There will always be a little difference between those of us who still hold to the old adage that killing does was bad, mainly when the deer numbers were down and those of us that hunt in areas where the deer are overpopulated and really need to be thinned out.

I can see both points of view and respect both, to a point. Those that won't shoot does when they are overpopulated, really need to rethink things imo, but I still don't hold that against them, many were taught that early on by their parents/mentors. To each their own... ;)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There will always be a little difference between those of us who still hold to the old adage that killing does was bad, mainly when the deer numbers were down and those of us that hunt in areas where the deer are overpopulated and really need to be thinned out.

I can see both points of view and respect both, to a point. Those that won't shoot does when they are overpopulated, really need to rethink things imo, but I still don't hold that against them, many were taught that early on by their parents/mentors. To each their own... ;)

Truth be told, the main piece I hunt, I generally do not shoot any does(unless a big herd of them roll through). The county kills does on the neighboring chunk of land, year round.:mad54: I literally have next to no does on this land. So, I confine my self to shooting bucks only(for the most part). Having said that, I do not cling to any old fashioned ideals of not shooting does just because.

I do have other parcels that are overrun with deer, where we shoot as many as humanly possible throughout the season. I maintain, the deer hunter's(and hunters in general) main purpose is land(herd) management. We caused the deer populations to explode(agriculture and development), so it is our responsibility to try and control their numbers and keep them within landholding abilities.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    ...and?

I don't get the "ethical" question with this. We're not killing puppy dogs. We are 'collecting' food.

As far as that goes, I'm still waiting on rambling_one's opinion. I am interested to here other thoughts.:)

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Truth be told, the main piece I hunt, I generally do not shoot any does(unless a big herd of them roll through). The county kills does on the neighboring chunk of land, year round.:mad54: I literally have next to no does on this land. So, I confine my self to shooting bucks only(for the most part). Having said that, I do not cling to any old fashioned ideals of not shooting does just because.

I do have other parcels that are overrun with deer, where we shoot as many as humanly possible throughout the season. I maintain, the deer hunter's(and hunters in general) main purpose is land(herd) management. We caused the deer populations to explode(agriculture and development), so it is our responsibility to try and control their numbers and keep them within landholding abilities.
    I agree with your reasoning and again, I have no issues with those who do, or don't take does, it's really a personal choice that is influenced often by several factors, as you mentioned.. :thumbsup:

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    For years, it's one of the ethical questions I've addressed with students.

...and?

As far as that goes, I'm still waiting on rambling_one's opinion. I am interested to here other thoughts.:)

My initial post was intended solely to advise the forum that the Hunter Safety Program dedicates a full chapter to being a responsible and ethical hunter. In that context, students are told that there are no right or wrong answers to many situations they may face while hunting; e.g., observing a spotted fawn that on first blush appears to be alone (think abandoned) - would you shoot that animal? You come across a severely wounded doe during buck season - would you put it out of its misery? A trophy buck appears in the distance, beyond your known shooting capability. Would you take a shot, hoping you might connect? Examples are endless.

I've never been in a position wherein hunting was crucial to my family's well being. A cousin of mine once was. He'd buy seven licenses (for himself and children), but would do all the shooting. They lived on venison. The question might be asked, was what he did ethical?

I don't judge what others do. Personally, I would not shoot a spotted fawn. I doubt I'd take a yearling, knowing there's bigger game out there. To each his own - I'm not a judgmental person, assuming everything's within the confines of law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom