• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    We split them, rub'm down, wrap'm in bacon, and cook'm over a pit. Good eats! :yummy:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Bambi burger rules. Even if I was pro life I'd say take one fawn; it would increase the doe and second fawn's chances of survival .

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Not a rule but typically if they have spots I pass on the momma, no spots--fair game...filling the freezer--momma first. but out here we only have one tag so its best to get a mature one vs a fawn/yearling with little meat.

in a must survive situation....all are fair game.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I think it all depends on the property. Crop Damage take as many as you can with Doe first. If it was just a hunting property trying to grow big deer than I would just take the doe if I needed the meat and/or fawns to get another buck tag.

Last edited:

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    If they were late fawns I'd go for all or none. Depending on size I'd be tempted to wait until late firearms or even the last few days of late ml (multiple guns or revolver with legal load).

If they were early fawns and are just hanging around mom I'd start with her and take whatever bonus I got reguardless of season.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    In MOCO there are too many deer any I will take them all sizes. The small ones have really good meat and are easier for me to get out of the woods if I go in deep on public land.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    I hunt on crop damage a lot and I'm mostly there to eliminate them not cull the herd. One farm I hunt kills roughly 120 deer a year. I try not to shoot ones with spots, but as soon as the spots come off they become fair game. I've shot does in July, had the fawns as constant visitors on hunts through out the season, then killed fawns late season. If it's late season kill the doe first then the fawns. If the fawns happen to run off with the doe they can be useful for tracking and finding your game because they will stay in the area she is.

I'd rather kill them humanly than let them suffer a slow death from starvation. Seeing deer in an area where there is a browse line and their ribs are showing isn't really pleasant.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I shot a yearling and a fawn last Saturday. The fawn will make great barbecue.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Judging from the dead deer that litter rt 70 daily as I mosey on down to BMore daily. I'd say take all three then go hunting the next day too :D

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    For me, it depends on the time of year and the situation. The doe would go as long as it's late enough in the season (I start bowhunting early) for the little ones to be self-sustaining, the little ones, depends on if I can verify if they are does or button bucks. We don't shoot BB's as a rule, and with yearlings, it can be hard to make out the bumps, so I often pass on the runts.

We lease a property and the landowner wants to reduce the herd, so does are really all that does that. We try to take a number of does each season and the little ones don't really influence us unless it's early in the season when we may let them go for a bit longer.

Keep in mind that one doe this season can be three less deer next year, and even more as years pass. Taking does is the only effective way to reduce the population a bit and the lowering the buck to doe ratio makes for better hunting once the rut rolls around.

I have taken a doe and a buck so far, most likely I'll take a couple more does, unless ol big horns makes a late season appearance. :lol2:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    For years, it's one of the ethical questions I've addressed with students.

...and?

I don't get the "ethical" question with this. We're not killing puppy dogs. We are 'collecting' food.

I am not trying to sound like a smart-ass either.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I hunt in Nebraska. The deer herd was decimated a few years ago by that disease (can't remember the name right now...EHD?) so I pass. I've had a couple of opportunities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom