• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpmiller37

Apr 29, 2023
    Maryland
    That's what Springfield told me, avoid dry firing blah blah ... I've read the debates.
    I'm neurotic about constantly checking my firearm to see if there is a chambered bullet, every time I pick it up to go out (before inserting mag), and when I get home and drop the mag for storage. I do that by pulling the slide back, which sets the trigger (forgive my terminology). Then I pull the trigger to release it (dry fire). Note: I don't carry it around with a cambered bullet. BUT Springfield (and other manufacturers) say avoid dry firing. I don't understand how I'm going to avoid this. I tried pulling the slide back only slightly to get a look, but the trigger is set even if slide is opened just a little. How can I feel good about safety by checking the chamber when I grab and store my firearm, but not dry fire the thing? I haven't been into firearms very long so cut me some slack.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Use snap cap. Do you really want to keep the pistol forever? No. There is no point because you don't last forever.

mpmiller37

Apr 29, 2023
    Maryland
    That's what someone else told me, BUT I don't see where snap caps are involved in this scenario. My post stated that I check the chamber before leaving the house (before I insert mag), and when I get home after I drop the mag. What does that have to do with snap caps?

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    ohhhh, It doesn't hurt to dry fire to "decock" if you need it. It isn't like you will do it millions of times.

mpmiller37

Apr 29, 2023
    Maryland
    So is this a common problem that gun owners don't worry about? Just check it as often as I like and dry fire it, and don't worry about it? I'd rather not modify the pistols.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    So is this a common problem that gun owners don't worry about? Just check it as often as I like and dry fire it, and don't worry about it? I'd rather not modify the pistols.
    Yeah don't worry about it. There are some pistols that have decocker like Walther P99 (striker fire) or hammer fire where you unload magazine and making sure chamber is empty then lower the hammer with your pinching fingers while slowly pull the trigger.

It depends on what pistol you have.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Just dry fire the thing after your admin chamber checks-- . But seriously don't understand why you're doing the admin checks if you're not/never carrying with a chambered round :shrug:.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I have a Glock 17 and a HellCat pro.
    Buy 3 more pistols and you start "not caring about damaging" too much. LOL

I was neurotic like you until I realize pistols are just piece of metal and tools. I'm not saying you throw it on concrete floor...squeezing trigger now and then to decocking is nothing.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    That's what someone else told me, BUT I don't see where snap caps are involved in this scenario.
    To address your point, if you're concerned about dry firing, inserting a snap cap will absorb the energy from the firing pin when you pull the trigger. I agree with others, that dry firing is not harmful to most modern pistols (not sure about revolvers, though).

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    To clarify... you ARE carrying the pistol, but without a round in the chamber AND with the striker decocked?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    That's what Springfield told me, avoid dry firing blah blah ... I've read the debates.
    I'm neurotic about constantly checking my firearm to see if there is a chambered bullet, every time I pick it up to go out (before inserting mag), and when I get home and drop the mag for storage. I do that by pulling the slide back, which sets the trigger (forgive my terminology). Then I pull the trigger to release it (dry fire). Note: I don't carry it around with a cambered bullet. BUT Springfield (and other manufacturers) say avoid dry firing. I don't understand how I'm going to avoid this. I tried pulling the slide back only slightly to get a look, but the trigger is set even if slide is opened just a little. How can I feel good about safety by checking the chamber when I grab and store my firearm, but not dry fire the thing? I haven't been into firearms very long so cut me some slack.
    Springfield xd's have a chambered cartridge indicator and if the firing pin is cocked indicator.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Safety process is fine- but you really should carry chambered like everyone else is calling out.

I dry fire everything, have for as long as I’ve been shooting and hasn’t hurt anything. It’s cheap and free practice of trigger pull.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Dry firing won't damage modern center-fire pistols. Manufacturers usually state to not dry fire, not carry a loaded firearm, not to use reloaded ammo and a bunch of other CYA stuff that aren't really true. IMO, constantly dry firing when clearing it several times a day, and hoping you have the time to draw, rack, and fire in a defensive situation, those practices are dangerous. Much safer to load it, chamber and all, and leave it alone in the holster, or secured at home. Pretty much every ND I have seen were by someone dry firing a "cleared" pistol. Especially if you train to dry fire every time you drop the slide vs knowing it's loaded, and keeping your finger off the trigger.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Last step of unloading, per Glock manual.
    20230429_172239.jpg

I don't know what Springfield says.

Most trainers and other ccw authorities do warn against carrying on an empty chamber.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    To address your point, if you're concerned about dry firing, inserting a snap cap will absorb the energy from the firing pin when you pull the trigger. I agree with others, that dry firing is not harmful to most modern pistols (not sure about revolvers, though).
    Ruger revolvers don't mind:
    20230429_173623.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom