• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I put a soft ear pro plug in my shadow 2 hammer channel. Works fine. Alternatively, first shot DA and keep trigger behind reset…

Ultimately, dryfire is essential to become proficient and if that means your gun has some extra replacement parts every few years, so be it.

Especially if you compete: the gun itself is cheaper than ammo, match fees and travel.
    You put an earplug in chamber?

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    It's been more than a day since OP has posted and I fear he may not come back. I hope he does. I think there is an opportunity for him to learn a lot. It can get a little rough here on MDS, but I don't think this thread has devolved to that yet. I think his concern about dry firing may enlighten him on other basic realities.

In any case, he appears to be a new gun owner. He also seems afraid and fascinated by his weapons. I don't think this is super unusual. Gun is scary and dangerous. It takes a lot of people time to trust that it isn't just going to go off. Also, assuming he doesn't have a lot of experience with them, I'm assuming a tremendous amount of fascination with this new device, well suited to taking life. Fascination means holding, playing, feeling, experimenting, and just becoming comfortable with it. Leaving it alone in its' holster would leave an itch unscratched. The more he manipulates it, the more he might second guess the status.

Recommendation: Respect for the weapon is good. Knowledge is good. Experience is good. Fear is not. Hit the range as much as possible and become familiar with the operation. Dry fire at home a lot. If concerned about the firing pin (no worries on the Glock, not sure about the Hellcat), get a package of snap caps. This is good for loading/unloading/malfunction clearing drills as well so probably not a bad idea. Take the guns apart (field strip). Put them together. Get comfortable with the weapons. Then, load, holster, and carry on with life.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    You put an earplug in chamber?

Heavens no!

I basically dampen the impact on the firing pin where hammer comes down on the CZ shadow 2. The channel back there (outside slide) holds a plug perfectly.

The gunsmith at Cajun Customs recommended it.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Lenny Magill shares his personal Concealed Carry Techniques

GlockStore

Seems like a smart enough guy. I don't like his "Condition three" default carry mode. His reasoning about making it more difficult for someone to use the weapon if you are disarmed seems faulty. Perhaps he'd be happier with a gun with a safety which would likely provide the same delay if someone were to grab your weapon, though that would make it problematic working for the Glock Store.

The only disadvantage he mentions regards condition three is the noise of racking. Who cares?

He works under the assumption that you have plenty of time to draw and load and have both hands available to make it happen.

It seems to me that if you are in a high stress, dangerous situation, the last thing you want is to have to perform extra actions. It's why I've also become happier with weapons without safeties. Even DA/SA guns I much prefer having a decocker lever instead of a safety.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There are a family of wonderful handguns , with no concerns about resting spring tensions , admistratively load & unload with total visual verification, and no decision chain about clambering a round .

Sam's Colt invented it in 1836 , and Daniel Wesson perfected it in 1899 / 1902 .

Jul 1, 2012
    Most interesting handgun design [CZ-52] with dual roller lock cams, but almost brittle firing pin ever.
    Star A and B will give it a run for the money in the brittle firing pin department. Nambus are a close-running 2nd. When they actually issue a pistol with a spare firing pin that should be a clue :)

Some decockers (like P.38) actually stress the firing pin more than just dry-firing it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Seems like a smart enough guy. I don't like his "Condition three" default carry mode. His reasoning about making it more difficult for someone to use the weapon if you are disarmed seems faulty. Perhaps he'd be happier with a gun with a safety which would likely provide the same delay if someone were to grab your weapon, though that would make it problematic working for the Glock Store.

The only disadvantage he mentions regards condition three is the noise of racking. Who cares?

He works under the assumption that you have plenty of time to draw and load and have both hands available to make it happen.

It seems to me that if you are in a high stress, dangerous situation, the last thing you want is to have to perform extra actions. It's why I've also become happier with weapons without safeties. Even DA/SA guns I much prefer having a decocker lever instead of a safety.
    This is my favorite Lenny Magill video LOL. His credentials besides owning the GLOCK store, acting, directing and producing Rock 'n' Roll #3: Sexy Girls, Sexy Guns, are pretty sparse. Wouldn't put too much into his opinions on defensive tactics.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This is my favorite Lenny Magill video LOL. His credentials besides owning the GLOCK store, acting, directing and producing Rock 'n' Roll #3: Sexy Girls, Sexy Guns, are pretty sparse. Wouldn't put too much into his opinions on defensive tactics.

Yes, it's all about having a gun, not necessarily being able to defend yourself with it. Am I right?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Yes, it's all about having a gun, not necessarily being able to defend yourself with it. Am I right?
    Hahaha. The clown is always right.

I don't tell people how to carry as long as they aren't rolling with me. They do them, I do me. That said, nobody I would want on my side in any sort of "disagreement" goes about with their sidearm chamber empty. I know a few who leave their rifles in the car chamber empty and a few who may be a selector flick away from "game on". If it's attached to you, my thought is that it should be hot.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Yep---he lost me there. Not the guy to listen to about SD tactics. Now, on the other hand, he did dry fire his firearms w/o snap caps on several occasions throughout the video... FWIW to the OP

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yep---he lost me there. Not the guy to listen to about SD tactics. Now, on the other hand, he did dry fire his firearms w/o snap caps on several occasions throughout the video... FWIW to the OP
    Multiple times as a matter of fact. I like Lenny, don't get me wrong, but he's just s shill by nature.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Multiple times as a matter of fact. I like Lenny, don't get me wrong, but he's just s shill by nature.
    Yeah-- I have consulted several of Lenny's videos when I wanted to work on my Glocks---so added value there. Visited the Glock Store in Nashville while I was in town visiting family. That was a mistake...left a few hundred $$$ lighter :D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yeah-- I have consulted several of Lenny's videos when I wanted to work on my Glocks---so added value there. Visited the Glock Store in Nashville while I was in town visiting family. That was a mistake...left a few hundred $$$ lighter :D
    Like selling a drowning man a glass of water... :D

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Since he never chambers a round, he can address all of his concerns by fitting his pistol with one of these yellow training barrels.

It allows safe dry fire practice and eliminate the need for constant loading and unloading, "chamber checks," etc. He could even sell the original barrel in the classifieds here.

iu

This gave me an idea for the OP.

IF he is unwilling to change anything, and his chamber checks are purely safety related (and I doubt they are) do this:

Ensure the chamber is empty. Cut a 1/4" wooden dowel to exactly the length of the muzzle with the slide closed.

When the OP wants to chamber check, stick the wooden dowel down the barrel. It should be flush with the muzzle. No slide manipulation needed, so no dry firing needed.

My hunch is that this thread was created so the OP could either get: positive reinforcement that what he is doing is ok OR to be told that he is damaging his gun as an excuse to go buy a new one that he can dry fire.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom