• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Why are you not chambering a round? Is it bc you aren't comfortable with it yet and you are afraid of accidentally firing it, or is it bc you have kids around and want an additional safety step to prevent them from hurting themselves if they ever get access to it?

Regarding dry firing: I am unaware of any common, modern centerfire handgun where that can damage the firearm. Some CZ were said to have a brittle pin that could break, but a cheap Amazon upgrade eliminated that issue.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Why the empty chamber?

My suggestions:
    Carry with a round chambered.

If you won't, then carry with an empty chamber and the striker set.

If you won't, then train yourself out of constantly checking the chamber and dry firing.

The more you screw around with the gun, the more chance there is of it accidentally going off. This is how desk pops happen.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Why the empty chamber?

My suggestions:
    Carry with a round chambered.

If you won't, then carry with an empty chamber and the striker set.

If you won't, then train yourself out of constantly checking the chamber and dry firing.

The more you screw around with the gun, the more chance there is of it accidentally going off. This is how desk pops happen.
    Concur with the above--

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Like the others have said, dry firing with modern center-fire pistols is OK. (However, it is not recommended to dry fire a rim-fire gun.)

What I'm not understanding is why you are dry firing after you unload (drop mag, rack slide twice, and visually check chamber - in that order). Not that it is harming anything, just curious why you do it. I'm hoping you are not pulling trigger as a means to determine if a round is chambered, instead of a visual/tactile check to see if it is loaded.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    My oldest striker fired is a G17 from 1988ish.
    Original striker assembly, etc.
    It's been shot and dry fired a lot. No issues.

Gun4Fun

Jan 22, 2023
    Washington DC
    It depends on the gun. Many (all?) rimfire semiautos are not dryfire safe. Most center fire striker fired semi autos are dry fire safe.

I would recommend trying to follow the manufacturer’s instructions but 1 or 2 dry fires on a not dryfire safe gun is not the end of the world. And even if something breaks extractors and firing pins are replaceable and relatively cheap.

I am more concerned by the excessive administrative handling here than the dry firing.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Interesting. I don't own a Hellcat but i just looked at the manual online for the Hellcat, SIG P365 and Glock 17.

I searched for dry and snap. Only the Hellcat has a statement against dry firing.

Page 11:
    NOTE: Extensive dry firing can accelerate component wear/stress. Use snap caps if dry firing on a regular basis.

Just looked at the Beretta 92 manual and they say this:
    If you want to practice aim and trigger pull, insert a FIRED cartridge case or
    “DUMMY” cartridge in the chamber to cushion the fall of the firing pin and eliminate
    the chance of firing pin breakage.
    Hammer fall in connection with the normal use of the manual safety-decocking lever DOES NOT cause firing pin breakage.

I have no advice OP, I dry fire all my modern pistols when needed. If I'm going to do an extended session, I'll throw in some snap caps just because. And I am in the camp that there seems to be way too much fiddling around with your daily routine. But certainly do what feels right for you.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Go with what the manufacturer says, for your warranty. For me I use this for training(dry firing).

Attachments

• 95C1C458-BAAD-456D-8AD5-3793660B92BB.jpeg
      95C1C458-BAAD-456D-8AD5-3793660B92BB.jpeg
      275 KB · Views: 104

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    Forget the damage to the gun (unless it is a non upgraded Cz), if you are chambering and re-chambering a round every day you are going to cause structural changes to that bullet itself. Just look at the Baltimore city police seized gun thread where they line the ammo next to the gun. Also if you are constantly loading and unloading you then worry if the chamber is loaded and all day you are unnecessarily taking out your pistol and tactically masturbating it (err, I mean press checking) which gives you more chance of having an ND or out of battery failure.

Worried about loaded gun at home? There are lockable safes and cases for that.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    No need to check the chamber on a Glock 17 by pulling back the slide. If a round is chambered, simply looking at, or touching the extractor with your fingertip should let you know the status.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Forget the damage to the gun (unless it is a non upgraded Cz), if you are chambering and re-chambering a round every day you are going to cause structural changes to that bullet itself.
    Agreed, but if I read this correctly he never chambers a round.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I realize everyone's home situation is different before I say this; I do not unload my carry guns except when I want to have a dry-fire session. Otherwise, they stay con1(Glock), within reach at home or on my hip. I will shoot that mag empty every 3-4 months.

I treat all firearms as loaded.

There are all kinds of storage solutions for those with young children or otherwise prohibited persons that will prevent access.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Since he never chambers a round, he can address all of his concerns by fitting his pistol with one of these yellow training barrels.

It allows safe dry fire practice and eliminate the need for constant loading and unloading, "chamber checks," etc. He could even sell the original barrel in the classifieds here.

iu

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Since he never chambers a round, he can address all of his concerns by fitting his pistol with one of these yellow training barrels.

It allows safe dry fire practice and eliminate the need for constant loading and unloading, "chamber checks," etc. He could even sell the original barrel in the classifieds here.

iu
    Blaster better not point that at me…

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    I put a soft ear pro plug in my shadow 2 hammer channel. Works fine. Alternatively, first shot DA and keep trigger behind reset…

Ultimately, dryfire is essential to become proficient and if that means your gun has some extra replacement parts every few years, so be it.

Especially if you compete: the gun itself is cheaper than ammo, match fees and travel.

Gun4Fun

Jan 22, 2023
    Washington DC
    This--- confusing as to why all the administrative chamber checks if the OP never chambers a round.
    Yeah I’m gonna be honest I always have a round chambered and I almost never do chamber checks… is it loaded? Yes. Is there a round in the chamber? Yes.

the only time I unload it is for occasional cleaning, as a daily cary if gets pretty nasty (sweat and dust and dirt and lint and crap) or for dry fire practice.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That's what someone else told me, BUT I don't see where snap caps are involved in this scenario. My post stated that I check the chamber before leaving the house (before I insert mag), and when I get home after I drop the mag. What does that have to do with snap caps?

Am I missing something ?

As you are preparing to go armed , you're chambering a round anyway .

* IF * you are storing it unloaded , And you choose to do so with striker in fired position , then insert a snap cap to release the striker , and leave it there until the next time you take it from storage .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That's what Springfield told me, avoid dry firing blah blah ... I've read the debates.
    I'm neurotic about constantly checking my firearm to see if there is a chambered bullet, every time I pick it up to go out (before inserting mag), and when I get home and drop the mag for storage. I do that by pulling the slide back, which sets the trigger (forgive my terminology). Then I pull the trigger to release it (dry fire). Note: I don't carry it around with a cambered bullet. BUT Springfield (and other manufacturers) say avoid dry firing. I don't understand how I'm going to avoid this. I tried pulling the slide back only slightly to get a look, but the trigger is set even if slide is opened just a little. How can I feel good about safety by checking the chamber when I grab and store my firearm, but not dry fire the thing? I haven't been into firearms very long so cut me some slack.
    Given that you haven't been into guns for very long, I have but one pertinent comment; bad guys are not going to wait around for you to jerk a round into your chamber so you can defend yourself(and family). You might want to re-think your tactics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom