• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justin B.C.

Walken is a scary clown!!
    Dec 25, 2012
    Not that, dude. Didn't want to mean any disrespect related to your service.

:thumbsup:

Oh, sometimes jokes never quite get taken the way they are meant over the interwebz due to the lack of physical interaction. lol I just meant that I am a crude crusty sort of guy regarding humor, and did not take offense. You are good in my book bro.

Lawman1800

Jul 29, 2012
    Sorry to say dude but its most likely going to be just you and and your fist to cuffs. If you have to go into federal building your probably going to have to leave your blades in the car.

Justin B.C.

Dec 25, 2012
    Sorry to say dude but its most likely going to be just you and and your fist to cuffs. If you have to go into federal building your probably going to have to leave your blades in the car.

Ok, thanks. Seems to be the rule. I really appreciate everything folks have told me.

Guess I am going to be boning up on my combatives skiils! ;)

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Deer bone, I use mine to clean my fingernails....

Attachments

• deerbone.JPG
      deerbone.JPG
      42.3 KB · Views: 171

Justin B.C.

Dec 25, 2012
    Huh. I had forgotten about mu bone blade knife I picked up from a reservation. Thanks!

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I am pretty sure federal law allows pocket knives in federal facilities provided the blade is less than 2.5 inches.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/44/930

However, I just googled it and am not a lawyer.

If that is the case, though, there are plenty of knives to fit your need.

What about OC spray? Not sure about the law on that for federal buildings, but it is legal in DC.

Kubotons were mentioned...I know some laws specifically mention them...I dont know about federal buildings. But, why not get a nice metal pen instead?

My EDC is (other than wallet, keys, phone, flashlight,) a Spyderco Delica, a metal pen of some sort, and a personal size can of Fox Labs OC spray. The OC is great. Its really compact. Maybe the size of 3 AA batteries taped together.

I work in DC but dont go into federal buildings.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Any recommendations for an EDC in D.C.? I will be working in a federal building but just the few times I have walked around the area, I do not feel safe not having something. ANy experienced hands know what flies for carry there? I am going to assume my Benchmade Balisong won't do... lol. Thanks.

http://mpdc.dc.gov/page/security-officers-management-branch-somb

Become a "special police officer" and "gain the right to have a sidearm", just like in America, LOL. Just wear tactical black to work everyday as a "uniform", and become a registered security company in DC.

Sure you'll need a 40 Hr. Armed D.C. Special Police Officer Certification class which runs $250, and you'll need to pay $54 a year to DC to register, and of course you'll need to moonlight as a security guard... but... LOL. At least you get a gun and special powers. ;)

LMAO.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I am pretty sure federal law allows pocket knives in federal facilities provided the blade is less than 2.5 inches.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/44/930

However, I just googled it and am not a lawyer.

If that is the case, though, there are plenty of knives to fit your need.

What about OC spray? Not sure about the law on that for federal buildings, but it is legal in DC.

Kubotons were mentioned...I know some laws specifically mention them...I dont know about federal buildings. But, why not get a nice metal pen instead?

My EDC is (other than wallet, keys, phone, flashlight,) a Spyderco Delica, a metal pen of some sort, and a personal size can of Fox Labs OC spray. The OC is great. Its really compact. Maybe the size of 3 AA batteries taped together.

I work in DC but dont go into federal buildings.

A good metal pen and flashlight are definitely good things to have and won't be taken away even at the most intrusive security checkpoints.
    If I remember right any type of personal defense sprays are prohibited in my government building and the maximum blade length is 2" but it might be 2.5". I'll have to double check. You can get such small knives on knife websites like www.bladeplay.com being sold as "California Legal". I've found these two which aren't very good but better than nothing...

Attachments

• IMG_1087.JPG
      IMG_1087.JPG
      103.2 KB · Views: 170

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Hey, I work for feds myself and my father has for more than 3 decades in DC.

Here's the deal, if you're in a fed building, even if you work there, you have to follow fed regs. Federal law prohibits "weapons" but has the exception for folding knives with blades under 2.5 inches. Such knives also comply with DC laws.

That might sound like a tight restriction, but living with it has led pops and I to build quite a collections:

Before anyone wants to give these small blades a hard time, I advise you to read about or talk to anyone who works in intelligence, all the way back to the OSS.

Blades in general have their limits in self-defense and should never be your sole means of defense. Besides hand-to-hand training, always keep an impact device. For those I advise you to not get sucked in by marketing for purpose-made SD devices and instead consider mundane objects that serve the same purpose. Simple AA maglites are perfectly good kubotans. I don't think much of expensive lights with "strike bezels." They don't really add any stopping power. Coin saps are another good option. I carry a drawstring pouch the originally held a condenser microphone and keep a good bit of loose change in there. And of course there is the walking stick, but I know that can be a stretch if you're too fashion conscious.

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    Dudes....i always carried a pocket knife, less than 3" to fed buildings...when I was military working for a 3 letter agency, and now with .gov. I even had one of the security people in the building take it out of my bag and measure it to make sure it was less than 3". If you work with a LE agency, where everyone else is armed...you will see how almost all LEOs have a knife on their strong side pocket. I would not worry about it unless they make you go through a metal detector everytime you enter the building. Just dont advestise it while you are riding the metro.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    Dc law is folding has to be under 3". Most federal buildings have no issues if your in a maintenance or service type position. I have had issues with a few though, I am a contractor.

cb51

Justin, I am a born and raised D.C. native, and I can offer some advise.

For one, D.C. by daytime is one of the safest cities to be in. There are literally dozens of police agencies in the city, and security agencies based in the cry. Outside of New York city, there are more cops per square mile in D.C than any other city in America.

Having said that, you can carry any small knife that has a blade of 2 nches. I travel around the city and go into federal buildings all the time with a small pocket knife. A small SAK, a small Buck lock blade like a bantam or mini buck. But then, I don't use or carry a knife for a weapon of any sort. A knife is about the poorest of defense weapons there is. To me, a knife is a tool for opening packages and cutting string.

An impact tool is way more effective, and can fly under the radar way better than any knife. Nobody in their right mind is going to question a AA mini mag flashlight is always in a pocket. It makes a great defense tool, and slammed into a temple will take out a would be strong arm mugger. If used on the back of a hand, it will break the small bones, rendering the hand useless. Same can be said of a nice all metal pen like a Cross century or Zebra 701. A thrust into the throat area with a pen, Sharpie, chopstick, or thumb, can ruin some misguided persons day. Plus it gets dark every single night I've been alive, so a small 2 AA flashlight is not a bad idea anyways. The new LED mini mags are a great improvement over the old ones, don't cost a lot, and still make a good kuboton.

Walking stick. Totally under the radar, no law against, and is an effective riot baton in disguise. I always carry an Irish Blackthorn stick, and I've been everywhere in D.C. with it, to include a tour of the White House and Capital where there is a NO KNIFE of any sort policy. Not even a tiny SAK classic. Having 34 inches of nice hardwood gives you reach and power all over a knife. Not even a comparison. Plus it's already right there in your hand ready to swing or thrust. Army pugil stick techniques work well with a nice sturdy cane/walking stick. And, here's the best part, under the American's With Disability Act, nobody but nobody can ask or demand why you have a cane. All you have to say is you need it. Could be an old sports injury, or that game of rugby a month ago, anything. A cane/walking stick is untouchable. A little study and practice will go a long way. After a while, the stick becomes a part of your persona, and people don't even think about it anymore. If somebody askes, they just tell them, "Oh, that's just Justin, he has an old sports injury that gives him a problem."

Knives? they're okay for opening mail or making a sandwich, but they suck for defense use. I much preffer low profile mayhem, using common everyday objects that look innocent.

edit to add; Shoot me a PM or e-mail, and we can talk about it. I have a collection of walking sticks and other impact tools that are low profile, and advise you on how to go about it.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hey, I work for feds myself and my father has for more than 3 decades in DC.
    Here's the deal, if you're in a fed building, even if you work there, you have to follow fed regs. Federal law prohibits "weapons" but has the exception for folding knives with blades under 2.5 inches. Such knives also comply with DC laws.

District of Columbia: DC ST § 22-4514b:

"No person shall within the District of Columbia possess, with intent to use unlawfully against another, an imitation pistol, or a dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife with a blade longer than 3 inches, or other dangerous weapon."

Federal buildings: 18 USC Sec. 930:

"(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both....

(g) As used in this section:...
    (2) The term "dangerous weapon" means a weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a blade of less than 2 1/2 inches in length."

So, if you're in D.C., I guess if you have no intent to do bodily harm you can carry whatever you want. :D (j/k)

Spyderco Dragonfly 2 fits the bill for both D.C. and Fed restrictions.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=610

222241578_22223235c63aa3b3ed52739cf98b9a6534a87a2362d74cbe.jpg

cb51

Here's a few of my sticks that go all over D.C. with me.

8482537513_e6cfb543a7_c.jpg

From left to right; rock maple linseed oil finished, blackthorn from a trip to England, hickory from local woods finished bark on and sealed with Helmsman spar urethane, hornbeam from local woods root handle polished and sealed with spar urethane, hornbeam purchased from the Irish Walk in Alexandria Va. All fit the training we had in the army for riot stick, and baton training we had at police academy in 1977.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Dc law is folding has to be under 3". Most federal buildings have no issues if your in a maintenance or service type position. I have had issues with a few though, I am a contractor.

To my knowledge can carry a folding knife of any length in DC as long as you arent carrying it with the intent to use it to hurt someone. I called DC metro police when I got my job in DC and they told me that. I didnt ask a lawyer tho.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011

To my knowledge can carry a folding knife of any length in DC as long as you arent carrying it with the intent to use it to hurt someone. I called DC metro police when I got my job in DC and they told me that. I didnt ask a lawyer tho.

Excellent. So if you intend to hurt someone, you better carry a 3" or less length blade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom