• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    I have an Enfield that was purchased back when there were Roses stores, and those stores sold long guns. A younger dumber me put one of the nylon stock kit on it many years ago. I have now grown appreciate the beauty of wood. From my reading, the mk 3 has a shorter barrel ....but I can't find out if there are other differences...I'm trying to find parts to get it back to "originalish" looks..I've read that some other number butt stocks can work, but what about the forends? Only 4s fit 4s?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I have an Enfield that was purchased back when there were Roses stores, and those stores sold long guns. A younger dumber me put one of the nylon stock kit on it many years ago. I have now grown appreciate the beauty of wood. From my reading, the mk 3 has a shorter barrel ....but I can't find out if there are other differences...I'm trying to find parts to get it back to "originalish" looks..I've read that some other number butt stocks can work, but what about the forends? Only 4s fit 4s?
    Sarco has fore ends and ancillary parts as of a week or so ago. Complete sets actually with hand-guards no hardware though, I think.
    A No 1 fore-end will not work with a No 4 rifle. Hand guards same thing
    Very few parts if at all, will work between the two marks 1 and 4 actually.
    Some butt stocks between No4's will not work between themselves without fitting due to the wrist socket.
    No 1 butt stocks can be fitted between all three dependent on how the donor was configured or fitted in the past.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    As Mr. overboard said they do not interchange between the #1 and the #4. I would say the stocks are completely different between the two. Shame you didn't keep the wood stock someplace after the switch.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    First up you need to get the correct nomenclature Not being a pain there's a Rifle No1 MkIII & a rifle No3 mk1, they are 2 totally different rifles with zero interchangeable parts!

Let me se if I can help a bit.
    There's 3 "levels" to the name
    NUMBER
    , 1,2,3,4,5 & so on this is the big one. This is the basic model on which everything hinges.
    MARK, May be Roman or normal, Mk1, Mk 2, Mk III this is the variation to the NUMBER above.
    STAR (or no star), these are minor changes below the level of a new Mark.
    They are all usually stamped on the wrist or left side receiver flat.

"Rifle No1 MkIII (no star)" also may be known as "SMLE", or "ShtLE" No matter all the same but the (*) is important
    (Ignore the fancy target rear sight it probably won't be fitted) the "regular" sight is the on in front of the action in the wood stock.
    IF yours has a "Magazine Cutoff", you will need a LOW WALL No1 stock, if not you can use either a No1 or No1* High or low wall one.

Or you can post some pics & we'll figure it out for you. :party29:

4Ogd2pq.jpg

Rifle No4 Mk2, There is also a Mk1, look at the rear end of the forearm. If a bolt passes through it laterally its a Mk2, if there's a riveted strap its a Mk1 lower wood is NOT INTERCHANGEABLE between them. Note the rear sight way at the back & the barrel sticking out an inch or so at the front It should have bayonet lugs. AN SMLE was flush & thee are no lugs

Sq61cxa.jpg

I hope this helps

Last edited:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    First up you need to get the correct nomenclature Not being a pain there's a Rifle No1 MkIII & a rifle No3 mk1, they are 2 totally different rifles with zero interchangeable parts!

NUMBER
    , 1,2,3,4,5 & so on this is the big one. This is the basic model on which everything hinges.
    MARK, May be Roman or normal, Mk1, Mk 2, Mk III this is the variation to the NUMBER above.

"Rifle No1 MkIII (no star)" also may be known as "SMLE", or "ShtLE" No matter all the same but the (*) is important
    (Ignore the fancy target rear sight it probably won't be fitted) the "regular" sight is the on in front of the action in the wood stock.
    IF yours has a "Magazine Cutoff", you will need a LOW WALL No1 stock, if not you can use either a No1 or No1* High or low wall one.

4Ogd2pq.jpg

Rifle No4 Mk2, There is also a Mk1, look at the rear end of the forearm. If a bolt passes through it laterally its a Mk2, if there's a riveted strap its a Mk1 lower wood is NOT INTERCHANGEABLE between them. Note the rear sight way at the back & the barrel sticking out an inch or so at the front It should have bayonet lugs. AN SMLE was flush & thee are no lugs

Sq61cxa.jpg

I hope this helps
    ^This. Figuring out what type of Enfield is critical, and pictures from the OP would be helpful (and fun). My first thought seeing the title was that I'd never heard of a No.1 Mk4. I knew there had to be something filling in the blank, as the No.1 Mk5 has the sexy lines of the No.1 with the better sights of the No.4. I just assumed it was a test rifle that didn't do much.

I checked the gospel according to Skennerton, and it turns out a No.1 Mk4 does exist, but it is basically an older rifle updated to Mk3. That might add an interesting bit of history, but, I would think from a replacement stock point of view, it's a Mk3.
    Resized_20240206_195350.jpeg

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf

NUMBER

4Ogd2pq.jpg

Sq61cxa.jpg

I hope this helps
    Apologies....it is a No1 Mark 4. I didn't specify as I was wondering if I could modify the wood furniture to fit between the mark variants.

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    ^This. Figuring out what type of Enfield is critical, and pictures from the OP would be helpful (and fun). My first thought seeing the title was that I'd never heard of a No.1 Mk4. I knew there had to be something filling in the blank, as the No.1 Mk5 has the sexy lines of the No.1 with the better sights of the No.4. I just assumed it was a test rifle that didn't do much.

I checked the gospel according to Skennerton, and it turns out a No.1 Mk4 does exist, but it is basically an older rifle updated to Mk3. That might add an interesting bit of history, but, I would think from a replacement stock point of view, it's a Mk3.
    View attachment 453330
    I will get some photos when I get back home. Work keeps me traveling. Thank you for the information.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I was wondering if I could modify the wood furniture to fit between the mark variants.
    "Apologies....it is a "No1 Mark 4".
    Are you certain? might it be a "No4 Mk1"
    If so then, yes you can.
    the Mk1 has a solid rear end with a strap riveted across it.
    The Mk 2 does not have this strap & the rear center is cut out because there's an extra "bracket" which the trigger hangs on. The Mk1 its bolted through the rear of the trigger guard.
    You can modify either each way be fabricating or removing this enter piece of wood & the riveted bar or adding one depending on which way you want to go.
    One other thing there are "high wall" & "low wall" forends for the No4s! basically its a space for the magazine cut off to fit in. This even though there never was a magazine cutoff for any No4! Its a purely cosmetic thing.

Attachments

• Low Wall stock.JPG
      Low Wall stock.JPG
      270.1 KB · Views: 26
    • High Wall.JPG
      High Wall.JPG
      332.7 KB · Views: 26
    • Hung trigger fitting.jpg
      Hung trigger fitting.jpg
      108 KB · Views: 28
    • Mk1 & Mk 2 stock rear.jpg
      Mk1 & Mk 2 stock rear.jpg
      376.9 KB · Views: 25
    Last edited:

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    The No1 Mk5 was referred to as a "Trials Rifle", a limited quantity were made to "squaddie test" a bunch of proposed mods to the No1 MkIII to modernize it & fix some perceived shortcomings in both use & manufacture of the venerable, but Victorian engineering designed No1 MkIII / SMLE.
    1707320227483.jpeg

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf

NUMBER

4Ogd2pq.jpg

Sq61cxa.jpg

I hope this helps
    Those are some beauties by the way ...mine was in pretty rough shape, stock wise, from the start....but as I stated, ive since come to appreciate the beauty of wood, worn, dented and storied...I will have dumb down my photos...they are too large apparently...I did however take them,nearly as soon as i got home...after kissing the Mrs that is...

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    Pics...oldish eyes and technology for the win.....it is not what I thought....

Attachments

• IMG_20240208_204625_542~3.jpg
      IMG_20240208_204625_542~3.jpg
      94.8 KB · Views: 27
    • IMG_20240208_202234_383~2.jpg
      IMG_20240208_202234_383~2.jpg
      165.1 KB · Views: 24
    Last edited:

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    No problem! its a Savage-made Rifle No4 Mk1*.
    You need a no4 Mk1 Low Wall stock.
    The serial ##C#### is the clue.
    You could use a high wall, but if you're trying to be dead correct it need a low.

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    No problem! its a Savage-made Rifle No4 Mk1*.
    You need a no4 Mk1 Low Wall stock.
    The serial ##C#### is the clue.
    You could use a high wall, but if you're trying to be dead correct it need a low.

Low wall. Got it. From looking at eBay,and the prices...this will be a piece together project. Lots of stocks in various conditions...the forend is the tough one...the upper forends, front and rear are easier too ...

Last edited:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    The one in your link is for a No 1 mk III
    Its been cut off too.
    A No 4 fore end is uninterrupted from where the barrel reinforce is at the breech to the bearings out towards the muzzle. There will be lightning cuts intermittently spaced in the barrel channel, but no perpendicular in- letting like for a No 1.
    The one below in the picture or similar to it is what your after. The two links are more than likely the best/easiest route to get you headed in the right direction. I'm surprised there any available actually.
    The pictured fore end is beech which will be hard to color match but is more than likely serviceable which is the most important thing.
    Uncut fore ends are difficult to source these days.

https://www.sarcoinc.com/enfield-4-mk1-stock-set/

Attachments

• No4 barrel channel.PNG
      No4 barrel channel.PNG
      115.2 KB · Views: 26

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    The one in your link is for a No 1 mk III
    Its been cut off too.
    A No 4 fore end is uninterrupted from where the barrel reinforce is at the breech to the bearings out towards the muzzle. There will be lightning cuts intermittently spaced in the barrel channel, but no perpendicular in- letting like for a No 1.
    The one below in the picture or similar to it is what your after. The two links are more than likely the best/easiest route to get you headed in the right direction. I'm surprised there any available actually.
    The pictured fore end is beech which will be hard to color match but is more than likely serviceable which is the most important thing.
    Uncut fore ends are difficult to source these days.

https://www.sarcoinc.com/enfield-4-mk1-stock-set/

Thank you....yep....just gonna have to pony up the cash and get the set...easier that way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom