• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Maryland Collectors Arms Show should be coming up in March. It's usually a good place to find parts and furniture. It will also give you time to find out what you have/need.

Last edited:

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Its easy to convert a No4 Mk1 to a No4 Mk2. & vice Versa if you have to.
    The difference is the wood fillet & strap at the rear.
    (see the stocks pictured above.)
    All you do is cut out, or make & insert the triangular center-rear section & drill a hole, depending on which way you're converting. You can find the bolt & nut on Ebay frequently.

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    I went ahead and ordered a full set from SARCO....once that arrives, I can stay busy seeing if I can get the wood close to looking the same and start finding the hardware. I won't be in town for the Maryland collectors show...just like I missed the Nations Gun show the other week....dang it...work gets in the way

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Mk I to Mk II plug.
    When you get it managed correctly, it will look like the last three pictures.
    The fourth picture to get the bearing in the second most importantly.
    The bottom metal needs to be perfectly flat for inserting the small guard screw.
    If you have to push anything together to get that small screw placed,it's not right.
    Or not done as well as it should be.

Attachments

• IMG_2351.jpg
      IMG_2351.jpg
      45.3 KB · Views: 31
    • IMG_2330 (2).jpg
      IMG_2330 (2).jpg
      66.3 KB · Views: 31
    • IMG_2336 (2).jpg
      IMG_2336 (2).jpg
      73.1 KB · Views: 26
    • IMG_2338 (2).jpg
      IMG_2338 (2).jpg
      65.9 KB · Views: 32

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    Thank you for the pictures. I ordered a No4 Mk 1 set ...hopefully it is decent shape and just needs cleaning ...but if not, I will be back for advice.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Just remember none of these are modern "drop-in" stocks.
    you absolutely WILL require some hand fitting, particularly in "The Draws", the "double Vee section" where the action is Drawn up into the action as you tighten the main screw.

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    Just remember none of these are modern "drop-in" stocks.
    you absolutely WILL require some hand fitting, particularly in "The Draws", the "double Vee section" where the action is Drawn up into the action as you tighten the main screw.
    Actually looking forward to it.

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    I can't believe as much googling as I was doing, this never popped up. The SARCO was the least expensive full kit I could find, without the hardware....their full hardware kit is out of stock. No worries. I'm committed and the SARCO is being shipped.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I can't believe as much googling as I was doing, this never popped up. The SARCO was the least expensive full kit I could find, without the hardware....their full hardware kit is out of stock. No worries. I'm committed and the SARCO is being shipped.
    I think that listing is pretty recent. They had listed incomplete No. 4 drill rifles before that

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    If you’re into doing any resto or building up any these rifles.
    Pretty much,any No 4 fore end that you see that’s not cut you should grab these days.
    Same for a No1.
    Maybe theirs a pile of them out there undiscovered somewhere but they’ve been hard to source for a while now.
    Repos are available that are quite well done but it’s almost just as easy to buy a complete rifle if you need a barrel or a fore stock or something.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I'm not sure of the significance of Indian or Pakistani "stripe codes", so take this with a pinch of salt.
    IF, I repeat IF that was an Aussie stock that red-yellow-red strip would mean worn to hell, use for drill ONLY!
    check carefully with them before plonking down cash.

Last edited:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I('m not sure of the significance of Indian or Pakistani "stripe codes", so take this with a pinch of salt.
    IF, I repeat IF that was an Aussie stock that red-yellow-red strip would mean worn to hell, use for drill only!
    check carefully with them before plonking down cash.
    They’re from drill purpose rifles that had the chambers welded and firing pins clipped. People have been using wood and fittings off them in restorations for a while. The condition of the forestocks can vary greatly, but people usually manage to restore the bad ones by splicing or epoxying the bedding surfaces and draws.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Usually those DP stocks are near toast.
    Oil rotted with punky wood, the whole bit.
    Sometimes a decent one will come through but then, you have to know how to do the work.
    I think the money involved in managing one of those is better applied to a better example of a rifle or for one of those Canadian repo fore ends.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I didn't know there was such a thing as an Ishapore made No. 4. I always assumed they ran with the No.1 until 2A. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom