• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Hey all,

Eventually thinking about a new wheel gun. Looking for a DA swing out cylinder .22lr.

What's your all favorites?

Pics would help if possible.

TIA!!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The S&W 617 was my favorite. I eventually sold it to another member to use as a trainer. Hogue wooden grips really made it a beauty.
    P1030193.jpg

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Are you looking for target work or just planning or backpacking. That can make a difference in recommendations.

For myself being a Colt guy...I like the Colt Officers Model Match which was discontinued in the '70s. For plinking or backpacking I like my Cobra 3" from the '60s. Both are excellent revolvers but could be pricey today to find good one.

You might want to wait for Colt's new King Cobra Target .22...4 1/4" barrel...stainless steel and a ten round capacity. It's going to be an awesome revolver and will be in the distribution pipeline before too long.

I'm not desecrating S&W or other brands...just going with what I'm familiar with. There's certainly lots of good choices out there.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Are you looking for target work or just planning or backpacking. That can make a difference in recommendations.

For myself being a Colt guy...I like the Colt Officers Model Match which was discontinued in the '70s. For plinking or backpacking I like my Cobra 3" from the '60s. Both are excellent revolvers but could be pricey today to find good one.

You might want to wait for Colt's new King Cobra Target .22...4 1/4" barrel...stainless steel and a ten round capacity. It's going to be an awesome revolver and will be in the distribution pipeline before too long.

I'm not desecrating S&W or other brands...just going with what I'm familiar with. There's certainly lots of good choices out there.
    Thank you.

Yeah, looking for just a fun plinker.

Got a Ruger Single Six but wanted something that was a little faster and easier to reload.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That's the cool thing about quality DA Revolvers - Fun Plinkers and very accurate are not mutually exclusive .

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I think all my pics are on the dead computer, but I really like the Ruger SP101 in .22. It's the same frame as the .357, which is great to train with. It's their smaller frame, but is able to accommodate bigger hands as well.

It's mostly all I shoot steel with these days:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    From the "coulda shoulda" file....Colt Diamondback.

300 bucks was a whole lot of money to me in the late 70's. Should have done it. I regret that one. Gotta part with a kidney for that revolver today.

DeadInside

MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2022
    SOMD
    From the "coulda shoulda" file....Colt Diamondback.

300 bucks was a whole lot of money to me in the late 70's. Should have done it. I regret that one. Gotta part with a kidney for that revolver today.
    ^^^This a hundred times over THIS^^^
    I was old enough to start buying handguns mid 80s and definitely should’ve bought a least a couple Diamondbacks. Would like to have a couple of them in .22 and one in .38 as well. The collector prices they get these days are just too much for me but I probably will get a King Cobra Target .22 when they can be had at MSRP or less…not going to “overpay” for one.

DeadInside

MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2022
    SOMD
    I have a Taurus Tracker 992 (in black). It’s a nice gun and it works fine and shoots accurately. But its not perfect the rear sight does not adjust far enough to get windage adjusted correctly. Elevation is fine but there is not enough windage adjustment and shoots a little to the left. Too much of a PITA to send it back for repair so will (eventually) fix it myself. Nice gun but not as nice (or costly) as a Colt or S&W.
    • Taurus Tracker 992 22 LR / 22 WMR Matte Black Oxide 6.50 in. Ribber Grip®

TRACKER 992​

22 LR / 22 WMR Matte Black Oxide 6.50 in. Ribber Grip®

MSRP $: 639.45

INSTRUCTION MANUAL
    SHOP ACCESSORIES
    DEALER LOCATOR

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Years ago when I was teaching my 11 y/o granddaughter to shoot I rented a S & W 22lr (can't remember the model) at Continental, it looked like it had been shot a lot, and cleaned hardy ever. Anyway that thing had a trigger that was smooth as butter.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    The "newest" 22lr revolver I own was made in 1953, but these two are progenitors of the S&W model 17. The left one is a 1939 K-22 Outdoorsman. The right one is a 1947 K-22. The model that became model 17 in 1957 would be a great choice. Plenty of those around (especially the dash 2,3 and 4 iterations), and you couldn't go wrong if you know what to look for in a used revolver.

Attachments

• 20210220_150722~2.jpg
      20210220_150722~2.jpg
      137.5 KB · Views: 71
    • 20220812_074200.jpg
      20220812_074200.jpg
      245.6 KB · Views: 68

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The "newest" 22lr revolver I own was made in 1953, but these two are progenitors of the S&W model 17. The left one is a 1939 K-22 Outdoorsman. The right one is a 1947 K-22. The model that became model 17 in 1957 would be a great choice. Plenty of those around (especially the dash 2,3 and 4 iterations), and you couldn't go wrong if you know what to look for in a used revolver.

Beautiful revolvers!

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Likes ^^^^^^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom