• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    BrowningGuy and I are booking a combo Whitetail/hog hunt. I’m thinking of mounting a thermal on my Garand just to be silly.

Does anyone have a Garand friendly load for game?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    BrowningGuy and I are booking a combo Whitetail/hog hunt. I’m thinking of mounting a thermal on my Garand just to be silly.

Does anyone have a Garand friendly load for game?
    After you’re done I’d love to hear where and your experience! My buddy has an outfit in Georgia he loves but they use dogs. I’m not against dogs but they do shooting and stabbing and the stabbing part I honestly don’t have in me I don’t think. I’d thermal over rice fields any day though!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    After you’re done I’d love to hear where and your experience! My buddy has an outfit in Georgia he loves but they use dogs. I’m not against dogs but they do shooting and stabbing and the stabbing part I honestly don’t have in me I don’t think. I’d thermal over rice fields any day though!
    I’m not interested in stabbing. Lol. I love everything about hunting but the killing. It’s necessary, but I want it to be fast.

TwinTurbskis

professional amateur
    Jun 9, 2020
    Derwood, MD
    I have run a couple boxes of 150gr PPU soft points thru my Garand with no issues, however YMMV. I hope to take a deer with it this November. Good luck on the hunt!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have run a couple boxes of 150gr PPU soft points thru my Garand with no issues, however YMMV. I hope to take a deer with it this November. Good luck on the hunt!
    Thanks!!! Since I’m a MDS addict, I’ll post up.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Cool. With a 150 grain bullet, an m1 load should have around 50-52 grains of powder. That's a lot of empty space. If you shake it, it should sound like there is a lot more room. It is sounds full, that a slow powder. But I don't think 40 rounds will kill an op rod. But then again, I have broke an op rod (un cut) (( grow up)) with m2 ball.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I don't know if they still make them but Hornady had garand match ammo loaded with 168gr amax. At 308/garand velocity the amax works great on deer and hogs.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I don't care for garands but when loading for them, keep.the pressures conservative and stick with powders that give you the proper pressure drop by the port. Varget, imr4064, imr4895, RL15, and vihtavouri n140 all work.

150gr (strongly suggest nosler accubond or partition) run varget. 44 to 46 grains.

165gr (strongly recommend Sierra 165hpbt gameking) run varget 44 to 45.5gr.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    Where you all going? I like pig hunting. wish we had it up here. Definitely want to see pics of the thermal mounted to gerand. I'd think it would be difficult to load with a thermal on there. Would there be any issues when it pops the clip out hitting the thermal? Should be fun...
    V

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    A thermal on a Garand.

The horror.
    Exactly. It just gives me a chuckle. I’ll pretend the pigs are Nazi pigs.
    Where you all going? I like pig hunting. wish we had it up here. Definitely want to see pics of the thermal mounted to gerand. I'd think it would be difficult to load with a thermal on there. Would there be any issues when it pops the clip out hitting the thermal? Should be fun...
    V
    IMG_1731.jpeg

We are going to SC. I’ll tell exactly where after I book. Looks like Outrider58 may be coming along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom