• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Exactly. It just gives me a chuckle. I’ll pretend the pigs are Nazi pigs.

View attachment 427520
    We are going to SC. I’ll tell exactly where after I book. Looks like Outrider58 may be coming along.
    My envy is raging. You’ll have a blast! I think with the ratings they are considering worst case as in a single shot or bolt action. Since your using an auto I think you’ll be well low of max.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    BrowningGuy and I are booking a combo Whitetail/hog hunt. I’m thinking of mounting a thermal on my Garand just to be silly.

Does anyone have a Garand friendly load for game?
    I'm not aware of any game friendly Garand loads per se.
    But, some of those Hornady 178's will dust things off nicely if there not real close.
    Otherwise I would use some 150's from Remington or Ball ammo.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks fellows. Got some 150 grain soft tips from rj1974. Can’t wait.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    You have a scope mount for a Garand? I have an old used b square if needed
    These are another alternative that don't require any mods. The downside is they need an optic with long eye relief.
    https://www.brownells.com/optics/rings-mounts/scope-bases/m1-garand-forward-optic-mount/

Unlike the mounts that attach to the rear sight mount, the Ultimak lets you keep your irons intact as backup, and it doesn't interfere with enbloc clip loading.

And I second Ingoes on the gas plug replacement. But unlike the Schuster, this one doesn't require any adjustment:
    https://www.garandgear.com/product/ported-gas-plug/

The goal of these modified plugs is to reduce the peak force of the gas impulse on the operating rod, which reduces fatigue stress.

Last edited:

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I'm not aware of any game friendly Garand loads per se.
    But, some of those Hornady 178's will dust things off nicely if there not real close.
    Otherwise I would use some 150's from Remington or Ball ammo.
    I am fairly certain that you would run the risk of bending an op rod if you shoot 178 gr bullets.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I am fairly certain that you would run the risk of bending an op rod if you shoot 178 gr bullets.
    No, its a published load and works pretty well actually.
    You can bend an op rod with ball ammo or any ammo for that matter if your rifles not in good order.
    Lack of lubrication and defective components and or poorly selected parts will get you there real quick
    no doubt.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    No, its a published load and works pretty well actually.
    You can bend an op rod with ball ammo or any ammo for that matter if your rifles not in good order.
    Lack of lubrication and defective components and or poorly selected parts will get you there real quick
    no doubt.
    Forgive my misunderstanding.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The thing about bullet weight alone damaging a Garand is fuddlore. You will not get excessive op rod velocity if you have a fast enough powder.

My hunting load is a 180gr Speer Hot Cor with 47gr of IMR 4064. It just gently ejects the brass.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    The thing about bullet weight alone damaging a Garand is fuddlore. You will not get excessive op rod velocity if you have a fast enough powder.

My hunting load is a 180gr Speer Hot Cor with 47gr of IMR 4064. It just gently ejects the brass.
    How many reloads can you get off of that load before the brass stretches too much?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    How many reloads can you get off of that load before the brass stretches too much?
    I load my USGI and HXP brass to 16x firings and Remington and Winchester commercial to 10x. I stop shooting matches with the USGI and HXP at 10x and use them for blasting after, but I’m pretty sure I can push them past 16x if I wanted to since none of them had detectable case wall thinning rings.

I don’t do a complete full length resize on the brass either. I only turn the die in until the brass can chamber easily in my bolt actions.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I load my USGI and HXP brass to 16x firings and Remington and Winchester commercial to 10x. I stop shooting matches with the USGI and HXP at 10x and use them for blasting after, but I’m pretty sure I can push them past 16x if I wanted to since none of them had detectable case wall thinning rings.

I don’t do a complete full length resize on the brass either. I only turn the die in until the brass can chamber easily in my bolt actions.
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I had long thought that a shell casing would of lasted only 5 times a reload.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Forgive my misunderstanding.
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I had long thought that a shell casing would of lasted only 5 times a reload.
    No worries.
    Like the other poster good USGI brass can be reloaded very many times.
    Thing is with a Garand, usually the chamber has a very slightly larger radial dimension because its a semi.
    But, if you have a shooter rifle with a tighter than GI spec chamber say like a CBI replacement thats been carefully chambered extended brass life can often, but not always be the result dependent on what your working with.
    An M1 will beat up cartridge heads and case mouths and you can find the brass with bent rims and various other dings and dents.
    I full length resize all my brass for interchangeability, do not anneal the cases and always check for incipient separation when I do a batch load out. In an M1 I dont need to have the mechanism resizing it for me between a bunch of different rifles.
    Some of this LC late 60's brass is as good as it gets if you ask me. I lost track track of how many times its been been full length resized and reloaded. But if its suspect, I cull it.
    Not a bad trade off for some extra time uniforming primer pockets and removing a primer annulus one time.
    Ammo doesn't need to be loaded real hot with a good barrel in a USGI rifle anyway if you ask me.
    Unless the throat is worn badly or the bore is oversize performance on target is what matters. An in spec barrel and gas system with a good hold with tight stock bedding is what will get you there by and large, not blistering fast ammo or puzzle palace spec sheets from weapons gurus with chronographs and load manuals stuck up their ass looking at extractor swipes and stuff like that.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I’ve had Hornady and Federal brass where the batch starts to get sketchy with that few firings or even less. I generally save commercial brass for blasting ammo too.

Accuracy loads in a Garand are fairly low pressure and therefore are easy on the brass.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I’ve had Hornady and Federal brass where the batch starts to get sketchy with that few firings or even less. I generally save commercial brass for blasting ammo too.

Accuracy loads in a Garand are fairly low pressure and therefore are easy on the brass.
    I have to reapproach all of this for sure. Thank you for your input.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I have a Super Hogster R. Rated to .308. I figure Garand loads will be fine.
    Now you have a reason to get a Garand in .308. CMP used to sell CMP Specials in .308 caliber if you want to try one. They have new barrels chambered in .308 with a removable block in the magazine which prevents loading an enbloc clip loaded with .30-06. They look like new rifles fresh off the production line.

Now they are called Expert Grade:

RM1308EXPERTOnce they are sold out, we will not take backorders. This is first come first serve!
    (SERVICE W/ NEW BARREL & NEW STOCK)

EXPERT .308 GRADE RIFLES will feature a NEW, Commercial-Production Stock Set and a NEW Commercial-Production barrel chambered for .308 Springfield. Bore condition will be “as new”, and barrels will gauge “as new”.
    SPRINGFIELD (SA) or HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON (HRA)RECEIVER
    The balance of parts on EXPERT Grade Rifles will match all service grade criteria, showing less wear and a better cosmetic appearance than a Field or Rack Grade. Cosmetic condition will be good to very good. Rifle finish may vary, exhibiting normal wear and/or color variation among the metal parts. May have some visible pitting, frosting, or other minor cosmetic deformity on the metal parts. (SEE RM1EXPERT DESCRIPTION ABOVE)
    Available
    $1150
    Free S/H

Here is the .30-06 ammunition recommendations for Garands from the CMP web site:

"The CMP advises to not use .30/06 ammunition in M1 Garands, 1903s, and 1903A3s that is loaded beyond 50,000 CUP and has a bullet weight more than 172-174gr. These rifles are at least 70 years old and were not designed for max loads and super heavy bullets. Always wear hearing and eye protection when firing an M1 Garand, 1903 and/or 1903A3 rifle.

This warning is an update/addition to the Ammunition section in the Read This First manual enclosed with each rifle shipment (M1 Garand manual-page 6 and M1903 manual-page 10)."

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Now you have a reason to get a Garand in .308. CMP used to sell CMP Specials in .308 caliber if you want to try one. They have new barrels chambered in .308 with a removable block in the magazine which prevents loading an enbloc clip loaded with .30-06. They look like new rifles fresh off the production line.

Now they are called Expert Grade:

RM1308EXPERTOnce they are sold out, we will not take backorders. This is first come first serve!
    (SERVICE W/ NEW BARREL & NEW STOCK)

EXPERT .308 GRADE RIFLES
    will feature a NEW, Commercial-Production Stock Set and a NEW Commercial-Production barrel chambered for .308 Springfield. Bore condition will be “as new”, and barrels will gauge “as new”.
    SPRINGFIELD (SA) or HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON (HRA)RECEIVER
    The balance of parts on EXPERT Grade Rifles will match all service grade criteria, showing less wear and a better cosmetic appearance than a Field or Rack Grade. Cosmetic condition will be good to very good. Rifle finish may vary, exhibiting normal wear and/or color variation among the metal parts. May have some visible pitting, frosting, or other minor cosmetic deformity on the metal parts. (SEE RM1EXPERT DESCRIPTION ABOVE)
    Available
    $1150
    Free S/H

Here is the .30-06 ammunition recommendations for Garands from the CMP web site:

"The CMP advises to not use .30/06 ammunition in M1 Garands, 1903s, and 1903A3s that is loaded beyond 50,000 CUP and has a bullet weight more than 172-174gr. These rifles are at least 70 years old and were not designed for max loads and super heavy bullets. Always wear hearing and eye protection when firing an M1 Garand, 1903 and/or 1903A3 rifle.

This warning is an update/addition to the Ammunition section in the Read This First manual enclosed with each rifle shipment (M1 Garand manual-page 6 and M1903 manual-page 10)."
    The special grades are all CMP refinished metal. The expert grades are CMP refinished receiver only while the rest of the metal has GI finish that is of the condition expected on a service grade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom