• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    From what I understand, all newer "pressure treated" lumber should now be fine for use in gardening as they use Copper vs Arsenic these days. I don't think you want to drink the chems directly, but incidental contact through soil transfer should now not be the concern it was back when they were using Arsenic 10+ years ago.

Would need to do some reading, but that is my recollection.
    That is correct that they don't use arsenic for many years now.

That said, they are still injecting these wood boards with chemicals. Fewer chemicals in you body is better.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Bounty from our #garden, #parallelSociety : pickled cucumbers, potatoes, tomatoes, basil, oregano, red peppers, zucchini and made zucchini chips.

Attachments

• garden-08-2023.jpg
      garden-08-2023.jpg
      311.7 KB · Views: 53

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    What's your recipe for the pickled cucumbers?
    Loosly followed from here:

https://growagoodlife.com/dill-pickles/

I didn't bother with the spice bag. I used a few more teaspoons of the pickling spices from McCormick in the brine.

This is my first time doing this so I don't know how they will end up. All I know is we had way more cucumbers than we could eat before they went bad so this is a bit of an experiment. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Loosly followed from here:

https://growagoodlife.com/dill-pickles/

I didn't bother with the spice bag. I used a few more teaspoons of the pickling spices from McCormick in the brine.

This is my first time doing this so I don't know how they will end up. All I know is we had way more cucumbers than we could eat before they went bad so this is a bit of an experiment. I'll let you know how they turn out.
    Thanks. Can't wait to hear how yours turned out.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I’ll have to look for my daughters dill and bread and butter recipes. Balls are usually not bad.

I ventured into lots of peppers this year. Always lots of bells and jalapeños but trying pablano and cayenne

Splitting jalapeños and deseeding and freezing. Some for poppers and thinking of hot relish. For sandwiches and cooking. Anyone got a recipe for this?

Cayenne I and freezing while to process when the season is over. Maybe hot sauce or look for other ideas.

Pablano I am just figuring out. They are 4’ ta and just producing. Had two go bad and not sure when to pick them. Some seem small. Think I need a heat mat growing them to get them a head start

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I’ll have to look for my daughters dill and bread and butter recipes. Balls are usually not bad.

I ventured into lots of peppers this year. Always lots of bells and jalapeños but trying pablano and cayenne

Splitting jalapeños and deseeding and freezing. Some for poppers and thinking of hot relish. For sandwiches and cooking. Anyone got a recipe for this?

Cayenne I and freezing while to process when the season is over. Maybe hot sauce or look for other ideas.

Pablano I am just figuring out. They are 4’ ta and just producing. Had two go bad and not sure when to pick them. Some seem small. Think I need a heat mat growing them to get them a head start
    Is there anything special you need to do for the jalapeños to freeze them? I have a ton that are turning red. Did t think about freezer bag them.

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    Is there anything special you need to do for the jalapeños to freeze them? I have a ton that are turning red. Did t think about freezer bag them.
    I just take mine, cut the stem end off, slice them in half lengthwise and scrape the seeds out (they tend to discolor) I then put them on a cookie sheet or plate in the freezer with some space between them and once frozen bag them in freezer bags. This way they come out easily as separate peppers, ready to use.

I do the same for sweet peppers, except I slice them in ready to use bits and then freeze those.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I just take mine, cut the stem end off, slice them in half lengthwise and scrape the seeds out (they tend to discolor) I then put them on a cookie sheet or plate in the freezer with some space between them and once frozen bag them in freezer bags. This way they come out easily as separate peppers, ready to use.

I do the same for sweet peppers, except I slice them in ready to use bits and then freeze those.
    cool, thanks

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I do the same on On the Rox except I also cut large green peppers in half and individually freeze them for use as stuffed half shell peppers later. Big peppers move into 2 gallon ziploc and jalapeno into 1 gallon and chopped green peppers into sandwich bags. They get iced up, but it all melts off and they reuse fine later on.

Attachments

• 71555171354__92D11DD3-DCFE-4A45-AB5F-CB0E57C5046F.jpeg
      71555171354__92D11DD3-DCFE-4A45-AB5F-CB0E57C5046F.jpeg
      278.5 KB · Views: 39

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    If you want them to keep for a long time vacuum seal them. They will "ice up" in a regular freezer bag (Ziploc/Hefty).
    Good advice on anything going into the freezer really.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Last night we ate 3/4 of our meal from our garden: potatoes, green beans, tomatoes and butternut squash. Grass-fed steak was from grocer.

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    Only have 2 small raised beds. Morning glories took them over. I got some produce. When everything is harvested, I'm going scorched earth with roundup.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Try vinegar and little dish soap in sprayer when sun is on it before that roundup. Then cover with black plastic or even trash bags after few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    Try vinegar and little dish soap in sprayer when sun is on it before that roundup. Then cover with black plastic or even trash bags after few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From what I've read, the vinegar route only kills what's above ground. Morning glory roots can go down 5 ft

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Only have 2 small raised beds. Morning glories took them over. I got some produce. When everything is harvested, I'm going scorched earth with roundup.
    Did you staple that black garden cloth on the bottom of your raised beds?

Or are you using natural earth, and not filling them from bags of soil?

We're still going strong with cherry tomatoes, and there's 5 or 6 Japanese eggplant doing well

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    We had so much rain here last week that I lost probably half of my tomatoes to splitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom