• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    Did you staple that black garden cloth on the bottom of your raised beds?

Or are you using natural earth, and not filling them from bags of soil?

We're still going strong with cherry tomatoes, and there's 5 or 6 Japanese eggplant doing well
    Yes to black fabric and natural dirt with compost

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    We had so much rain here last week that I lost probably half of my tomatoes to splitting.
    Boil them down to sauce. I have read that the splitting is due to them growing so fast from the rain. Their solution was to water them SO much all growing season so that when the rain comes, there isn't a spike in growth.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Anyone ever make Sumac jelly? My google foo says this is winged sumac. I think its past prime though
    1000004173.jpg

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    NIH study on glysophate (killing ingredient in roundup)

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Boil them down to sauce. I have read that the splitting is due to them growing so fast from the rain. Their solution was to water them SO much all growing season so that when the rain comes, there isn't a spike in growth.
    Once they split the bugs take over and lay their eggs in the pith.

jspero

Aug 6, 2009
    One Foot Out The Door
    So who's getting ready for Fall planting? I'm late getting seeds in, but was held up getting a new 4x8 raised bed ready. I do semi-square-foot gardening and it worked great this Summer with my other 2 4x4 beds. For the Fall, I'm going with green onions, leeks, and garlic on the outside boarder. Carrots (red and orange), beets, hot Asian radish, red radish, and spinach on the inside squares. When I'm done with the Summer plants in the other beds, I'll plant arugula and bok choy as cover crops and fold them in to rejuvenate the soil. This is all new to me this year, so I hope it works out. Here is the plan:

1694948747813.png

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    If morning glories have established and grown and flowered they left lots and lots of seeds and will be back next year. I let them grow on the woods one year because they looked pretty. They grew up a rose of sharon bush and literally smothered and killed it. in 4 years I have knocked them back, but they are still in the area. They are very hard to get rid of and pulling seedlings is the only way. Once they flower, you'll see them next year again.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    So who's getting ready for Fall planting? I'm late getting seeds in, but was held up getting a new 4x8 raised bed ready. I do semi-square-foot gardening and it worked great this Summer with my other 2 4x4 beds. For the Fall, I'm going with green onions, leeks, and garlic on the outside boarder. Carrots (red and orange), beets, hot Asian radish, red radish, and spinach on the inside squares. When I'm done with the Summer plants in the other beds, I'll plant arugula and bok choy as cover crops and fold them in to rejuvenate the soil. This is all new to me this year, so I hope it works out. Here is the plan:

View attachment 431154
    Are you by any chance an engineer?
    :)

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Something for planning next years garden. While working on my genealogy I happened across a list of seeds being sold back in 1769. So I was naturally curious and since I had not heard of these varieties before I looked for some sources for seeds in today's world. I haven't looked them all up but I came across a source for heirloom seeds you wouldn't normally think of so I have linked it below.

Heirloom Seeds List from 1769

Imported by Capt. Hulme from Lon-
    don, and to be sold by Benjamin Coats,
    near the school-house in Salem, a fresh
    assortment of garden seeds, large marrow-
    fats, early Charlton, early hotspur, gold-
    en hotspur, blue marrowfat, and crooked
    sugar pease; large Windsor, early hotspur
    and early Lisbon beans; early yellow,
    scarlet and orange carrot; early Dutch,
    early Yorkshire, early Battersea, early
    sugar loaf, red and large winter cabbage
    and colliflower; green and yellow Savoy ;
    cellery; green and white Endive; salmon,
    scarlet and London radish; best curled
    pepper grass; summer and winter spin-
    nage; curled and bambo parsley cabbage ;
    white Goss and Imperial lettuce; early
    and late cucumber, long Turkey ditto;
    early and late turnips; summer and winter
    savory; hysop, thyme, sweet majoram and
    baum; lavender and rosemary; hemp,
    canary and rape seed; red and white
    clover, red top Lucerne, burnet and
    herdsgrass seed.—Advertisement in Essex
    Gazette, March 14, 1769

Link to heirloom seed vendor Monticello, yes the one owned by Thomas Jefferson, so the proceeds go to a good cause:

Last edited:

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county

View attachment 431154

Started my fall salad garden last week.
    Kale and collards going in this week.

jspero

Aug 6, 2009
    One Foot Out The Door
    Started my fall salad garden last week.
    Kale and collards going in this week.
    Awesome! Last Sunday I got the red and orange carrots in and some of the green onions. I'm planning to do the rest after the rain this weekend. I'll be doing arugula in one of the existing beds as a cover crop along with bok choy, but will probably end up eating a bunch, too. :)

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Awesome! Last Sunday I got the red and orange carrots in and some of the green onions. I'm planning to do the rest after the rain this weekend. I'll be doing arugula in one of the existing beds as a cover crop along with bok choy, but will probably end up eating a bunch, too. :)

Trying clover and Oats as a cover crop, first attempt for me.

May do a small deer plot with extra.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I made hot, sweet pepper relish from jalapeno and green peppers. Anyone done any fermenting for hot sauces? I have a bag of Cayenne's, jalapenos and someone gave me some ghost peppers. I wish to experiment with them over the next several months.

TheEvilZX2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2011
    I made hot, sweet pepper relish from jalapeno and green peppers. Anyone done any fermenting for hot sauces? I have a bag of Cayenne's, jalapenos and someone gave me some ghost peppers. I wish to experiment with them over the next several months.
    Not this year but I have fermented ghost peppers, cilantro, onion and garlic in past years for a hot sauce. Everything fermented for a couple months then blended up and tweaked ingredients to taste, fresh cilantro and lime juice mostly from there.

Was one of my favorites so far. Have a few ghost peppers still on one plant maybe I'll redo a small batch of that again.

I usually make cowboy candy with whatever jalapenos don't end up being turned into poppers.

Posted with my Muth*rfkn TapaTalk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom