• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Get a bag of lime or crush eggshells or oyster shells. The lime I think is more readily absorbed as the others need to break down a bit before being absorbed. I suppose milk would work but I'd rather drink it.
    Thanks.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Could be watering issue as well. They need water to get calcium. More heat and bigger plants I have to water every other day with raised beds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    My garden got smoked by the storm cell that came through last night. Knocked everything over except the cukes on the trellis. And about 6 trees, unknown amount of limbs and did a number on the landscaping. Oh and put a tree on top of my shed and a nice new hole. It was quite destructive, I've lived through hurricanes that did less damage.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    20230806_203636.jpg

Just pulled these.

Dingo222

Nov 6, 2019
    Any cucumber growers here? I had one thriving vine that was producing well this year. It still has cucumbers on the vine, but in the last two days it is nearly dead. It’s obviously not for a lack of water. Any ideas? I’m wondering if the heavy rain damaged it, and if I can trim it back and maybe get it to regrow?

Attachments

• IMG_0370.jpeg
      IMG_0370.jpeg
      706.8 KB · Views: 51

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Any cucumber growers here? I had one thriving vine that was producing well this year. It still has cucumbers on the vine, but in the last two days it is nearly dead. It’s obviously not for a lack of water. Any ideas? I’m wondering if the heavy rain damaged it, and if I can trim it back and maybe get it to regrow?

If just one cuc gets to big/mature the plant thinks it did it’s job and will die. Could one be hiding or did one get very large?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Check the root might have a mole is only thing i can think of

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Those plants get crazy,huh? Looks like a good batch of verde waiting to happen.

Yeah we werent sure if they would do good, then i went and checked and they blew up over night...it seemed. But we have been busy.

Yep we got some pork shoulder the other day. Chilie verde soon!

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    My cucumbers are turning spotted yellow. Don't know if that is the bottom dying down or other problem. A few start to yellow and I pop them off.

The spotted Lantern flies seem to love them and feed on them so They might be part of the problem. At least on mine. Your looks like fast wilt from loss of roots or vine cut.

Jweiss013

MSI and MSRPA Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 9, 2019
    Baltimore Co
    Decided to move the garden to the back yard right next to the house from the barnyard this year thinking that walking 5 feet to weed/water should increase our mid-season involvement.

What are you guys thoughts on raised beds that:

1. Are cheap...yes cheap
    2. Won't fall apart after 2 years
    I built my boxed from Douglas fir dimensional lumber in the discount bin at home depot. Assembly was secured with galvanized framing nails out of a pneumatic nailer. I harvested lumber for a few weeks before building, can't remember what I paid but it was very affordable to do 6 4ft boxes. They have been in the ground since 2015 and are now starting to really decay. Pressure treated lumber or cedar would have faired better, but it wouldn't have been clean or cheap. At least thats my 10c.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I built my boxed from Douglas fir dimensional lumber in the discount bin at home depot. Assembly was secured with galvanized framing nails out of a pneumatic nailer. I harvested lumber for a few weeks before building, can't remember what I paid but it was very affordable to do 6 4ft boxes. They have been in the ground since 2015 and are now starting to really decay. Pressure treated lumber or cedar would have faired better, but it wouldn't have been clean or cheap. At least thats my 10c.
    What do you mean it wouldn't have been clean?

Definitely wouldn't have been cheap.

Jweiss013

MSI and MSRPA Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 9, 2019
    Baltimore Co
    Some pressure treated has chemicals in it not suitable for gardening.
    Exactly - pressure treated lumber and cedar both hold up better to direct ground contact usage. Pressure treated wood obviously has chemicals added to make it more impervious to insect invasion. It might not be a concern for some folks, but it isn't a 'clean' or organic approach to making a planter box for growing food. Cedar is also insect resistant, but it does not contain any chemicals. Douglas Fir is cheaper than both of these, especially when found in the purple sprayed lumber bin in the back of home depot. The downside is that it is more prone to insect attack. There are a few things you can do defend against this such as investing in termite bait stations nearby.

I went through this consideration back when I built my boxes, and the price is what really led me down the path I went. I have also heard that railroad ties make for good ornamental garden walls, but also contain chemicals you might not wat in a vegetable garden.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    From what I understand, all newer "pressure treated" lumber should now be fine for use in gardening as they use Copper vs Arsenic these days. I don't think you want to drink the chems directly, but incidental contact through soil transfer should now not be the concern it was back when they were using Arsenic 10+ years ago.

Would need to do some reading, but that is my recollection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom