• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    Didn't Philly try to outlaw handguns at one point or something?

Good thing this guy had one.. Who picks on a guy and girl? A group of asshats.

Then the guy did the right thing by A) Not leaving the scene, and B) Calling the police. His decisions got him carted off and thrown in the tank, but he still did the right thing. I hope this guy gets off on everything.
    It looks like he pulled so they would leave him alone, but they didn't. We all know actually pulling the trigger is something done as a last resort, but 4 on 1 seems like a pretty desperate situation to me. Especially when he is retreating with a weapon.

Good luck man.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    DiDonato and his buddies should get charged with aggravated assault.

Sadly, his family is well-connected, so that's not going to happen. In fact, I'd bet that if this was four guys from the hood, this wouldn't even be discussed. Because it was an ******* from an affluent family, he's a "victim".

Last edited:

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    It looks like he pulled so they would leave him alone, but they didn't. We all know actually pulling the trigger is something done as a last resort, but 4 on 1 seems like a pretty desperate situation to me. Especially when he is retreating with a weapon.

I've always read that if you have to pull out then shoot. (we're talkin guns here guys)

Don't brandish or threaten.

Thoughts?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I've always read that if you have to pull out then shoot. (we're talkin guns here guys)

Don't brandish or threaten.

Thoughts?

You draw when presented with an immediate and deadly threat, then fire to stop the attack, assuming the deadly threat is still present, and hasn't run away, or stopped the actions that caused you to draw in the first place.

The initial contact was 4 people in a group with at least 2 laying hands on him, immediate and deadly threat, check. Then when the lead a-hole advanced, and tried to disarm ung, the immediate and deadly threat persisted, check. clean shoot, Ung should sue, and the a-hole who started the confrontation, and his family should publicly appolagise, case closed.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    this is one case of "thank goodness for big brothers cameras"

the way the guy kept after him after ung pulled the gun was serious. There was a lot of intent in the way he was advancing.

100% justifide.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Agreed that it was justified. I still can't believe that they charged him after reviewing the tape.

My point: is it legal, or moral, to reduce a threat by showing your would be attacker that you have a gun (legally)?

In Maine they have the term "brandishing" is mentioned in their firearms code. Some people have even been arrested for "brandishing" because they were open carrying--holstered weapons (overturned of course).

At what point in the conflict can you draw your gun? The scenario that I'm worried about is if an attack seems imminent but the attacker hasn't touched you yet, can you brandish? If the attacker stops the you could be charged with brandishing?

It is very important to think and talk about these sorts of things now because when the time comes you want to act out of training, not fear or anger.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Is brandishing a felony? If not I'd rather quell a dangerous situation and fight it in court.

Better tried by twelve than carried by six, right? I only carry because I know what I will do if confronted with deadly force. I'm not a ninja or blackbelt anything so if some dude starts advancing on me looking like he's gonna beat the crap out of me, I'm drawing - and firing if he doesn't stop.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I'm also curious to see how this plays out, looks totally justified to me. Scary thing is I will be moving to philly in a year or two (maybe) and if my girlfriend and I are walking through the city and 4 or 5 people start to attack us, shi*. That is a deadly force encounter. I might reconsider pulling my gun if it was 1 person. I'm a big guy but theres no way I can take on 4 people. This is rediculous. And it always happens this way because criminals are usually pussies and travel in packs.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Any word on when his attackers will face trial?

I guess I shouldn't hold my breath, should I.

jaywade

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Leesburg, VA
    I think he's going to beat it...going to be hard for a jury to say he was trying to murder anyone...although the fact that he had a drink the Da going to have a field day w/ that....that might be the only thing that he gets found guilty of, pretty sure in PA you can't carry while drinking ...don't know if that's a felony charge though

dirtybird

Mar 20, 2010
    Gerald Ung's friends have started a non-profit corporation to provide financial aid for his criminal defense, The Gerald Ung Legal Defense Fund, Inc. Please visit our site and donate if you can. Thank you.

www.theungfund.org

My security software is saying that site is malicious, FWIW I donated anyway. Let's hope justice will prevail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom