• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    What do you guys think of this?

Well, It's Bear Creek for one(they are famous for being hit or miss, quality wise), though it gets good reviews. If I was to go with a side charged AR style upper, it would have to be non-reciprocating, but that's just me. If it's a budget you're shopping for, what the heck?

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Well, It's Bear Creek for one(they are famous for being hit or miss, quality wise), though it gets good reviews. If I was to go with a side charged AR style upper, it would have to be non-reciprocating, but that's just me. If it's a budget you're shopping for, what the heck?

I have never tried the side charging. They have the same in a rear charging for $10 more. 10% off too. $250 includes BCG. I just need a magazine. Probably add $50 worth of stuff to get the free shipping too. Seems a no brainer but would love some first hand reviews on using this at 500 yards. What's the main difference between this and the Aero precision?

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I have never tried the side charging. They have the same in a rear charging for $10 more. 10% off too. $250 includes BCG. I just need a magazine. Probably add $50 worth of stuff to get the free shipping too. Seems a no brainer but would love some first hand reviews on using this at 500 yards. What's the main difference between this and the Aero precision?
    You don't need to buy mags, only mag followers. Swap them out for the standard AR 15 5.56 mag followers. Something like these:

For almost twice as much, you can buy an Aero M4E1 Enhanced upper, but that doesn't come with a BCG nor a charging handle, so add another $200+ for those:

You'd end up with a solid upper with the Aero, but you'll pay a premium price too.

Side charging uppers are fine when they are reciprocting(charging handle isn't attached to the bolt carrier). When the charging handle is attached to the bolt carrier, they move with the bolt during firing. The problem is, in order to remove the bolt carrier for any reason, you will need to remove the handle with a tool. They also require a 'customized' bolt carrier that allows the mounting of said charging handle. So in the event you need to swap out the BCG if you are chasing down a problem or something, you can't just throw any ol' BCG into it.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    You don't need to buy mags, only mag followers. Swap them out for the standard AR 15 5.56 mag followers. Something like these:

For almost twice as much, you can buy an Aero M4E1 Enhanced upper, but that doesn't come with a BCG nor a charging handle, so add another $200+ for those:

You'd end up with a solid upper with the Aero, but you'll pay a premium price too.

Side charging uppers are fine when they are reciprocting(charging handle isn't attached to the bolt carrier). When the charging handle is attached to the bolt carrier, they move with the bolt during firing. The problem is, in order to remove the bolt carrier for any reason, you will need to remove the handle with a tool. They also require a 'customized' bolt carrier that allows the mounting of said charging handle. So in the event you need to swap out the BCG if you are chasing down a problem or something, you can't just throw any ol' BCG into it.

If I get 2" groups with the Aero and 5" with the Bear then the Aero wins. But if they are the same performance, I am not seeing why one is twice the other. The Bear has a lifetime warranty and claims entirely made in USA. I am going to my BIL's tonight for New Year's so I will check out his Bear upper.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    If he is using 10rd AR mags, I would agree. Many will agree with me that the 6.5 Grendel doesn't feed well with the higher capacity magazines.
    A salient point. I couldn't/wouldn't use anything over a 10 round mag.

And again, I am not well versed on that caliber, but I do know a bit about the AR 15 platform.

I could not tell you whether the BCA BCG is a type II or not.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    If I get 2" groups with the Aero and 5" with the Bear then the Aero wins. But if they are the same performance, I am not seeing why one is twice the other. The Bear has a lifetime warranty and claims entirely made in USA. I am going to my BIL's tonight for New Year's so I will check out his Bear upper.

I have a few bear barrels on the shelf. I did numerous test with different ammo trying to find a decent one. They are ok for some plinking but getting moa with factory loads proved difficult. If I can’t get sub moa with cheap factory loads I’m not done building. I do like the side charger but the carrier and upper receiver is the only bear components. I only have a limited amount of rounds through it (sub 100 swapping out barrels) so I can’t speak to its longevity.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Can't complain about a 5" group at 500 yards. I'd be hard pressed to make that shot myself.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Can't complain about a 5" group at 500 yards. I'd be hard pressed to make that shot myself.

Well lol I mean "x" and "1/2x". I've never actually shot longer than 100 yards in my life. And that was only once. I have practically no experience with rifles and long range shooting. But I really want to get into it. I think it's a great skill to have.

500 will be virtually impossible since I can't even think of any 500 yard ranges around here.

Well lol I mean "x" and "1/2x". I've never actually shot longer than 100 yards in my life. And that was only once. I have practically no experience with rifles and long range shooting. But I really want to get into it. I think it's a great skill to have.

500 will be virtually impossible since I can't even think of any 500 yard ranges around here.
    Once you're comfortable hitting a golf ball at 100yds, join us at Peacemaker near Martinsburg WV. The Frontier Range goes out to about 1200yds.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Once you're comfortable hitting a golf ball at 100yds, join us at Peacemaker near Martinsburg WV. The Frontier Range goes out to about 1200yds.

Thank you! I had a talk with my BIL earlier this morning and we are both going to go to his range and get good at 100 yards. He said the same thing, get good at 100 yards which will give us the foundation for LRS and then take it from there. He suggested just use any .223/556 AR with a heavy barrel to start. Since I don't have any heavy barrels though, I think I will still opt for a Grendel. He also suggested the 6mm Creedmoor is the shit for long range shooting. He has a bolt action precision Ruger 6mm that he loves.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Thank you! I had a talk with my BIL earlier this morning and we are both going to go to his range and get good at 100 yards. He said the same thing, get good at 100 yards which will give us the foundation for LRS and then take it from there. He suggested just use any .223/556 AR with a heavy barrel to start. Since I don't have any heavy barrels though, I think I will still opt for a Grendel. He also suggested the 6mm Creedmoor is the shit for long range shooting. He has a bolt action precision Ruger 6mm that he loves.

We’ll be planning an MDS Group trip in the spring for sure. Lots of opportunities to check out other folks gear too while testing the waters with your own equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When getting into precision/log distance shooting, the game changer for me was when ToolAA turned me on to a "squeeze bag". The front of the rifle has a bipod and the stock gets one of these bags. Once you're close to being on target, you squeeze it with your non trigger hand to slightly raise it and align the rifle perfectly with the target.
    It is the best $20 I ever spent towards shooting toys.

ETA- The video in post #16 shows how I work it in the first minute of so.
    1672503991018.png

Last edited:

DavidD123

Dec 11, 2022
    Ellicott City
    I have a RRA forged lower pre-ban along with a lower parts kit. Also have a Hera stock and foregrip. I need a complete upper with BCG. Not set on caliber it just needs to work with my lower. I don't want to spend more than $500. Any help appreciated. I'm kind of doing this build because I have this Hera stock set. I have no interest in a pistol build.

I already have .300BO and .556 ARs but doesn't mean I wouldn't build another in these calibers.
    Dang wish I had see this before just sold my .300 BO with multiple springs a couple of buffers etc for 350. Still have a bunch of brass and cast lead too. Do you need a wrench ?

DavidD123

Dec 11, 2022
    Ellicott City
    When getting into precision/log distance shooting, the game changer for me was when ToolAA turned me on to a "squeeze bag". The front of the rifle has a bipod and the stock gets one of these bags. Once you're close to being on target, you squeeze it with your non trigger hand to slightly raise it and align the rifle perfectly with the target.
    It is the best $20 I ever spent towards shooting toys.
    View attachment 394323
    You can free float your barrel. If you want to use little pieces of bent wire to find out where you barrel vibration nodes are with the best loads that is helpful too

DavidD123

Dec 11, 2022
    Ellicott City
    You can free float your barrel. If you want to use little pieces of bent wire to find out where you barrel vibration nodes are with the best loads that is helpful too

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom