• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Dime sized groups at 200yds are very achievable. I don't know why the caliber isn't far more popular. Everyone who shoots one falls in love.
    I keep putting it off because, though I have the perfect lower for it, I'll have to paint it(unless I convert...).

home page.png

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I spoke with my BIL this morning about the 6.5 Grendel (he decided that his photography hobby is more important than his gun hobby). He is getting rid of a lot of his guns and just my luck, he has an entire 6.5 AR-15 Grendel he built that he wants to sell. He is going to figure out a price for me and send me the details. I told him keep the lower and I will buy everything else. This might be easier than I thought! I am sure he will include any ammo that he has which I suspect he has at least 100 rounds. I also doubt he has even 20 rounds through it. Fingers crossed!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I think the 6.5 Grendel is going to be the winner. And I do want 20" and even saw a 24" that I might consider. What you have here is essentially what I want to build (down to the Vortex optics).

I have 5 built pre-ban ARs and another 4 pre-ban lowers. I am not terribly concerned about wasting a lower on a pre-ban build.

I just need to find a good deal on one. OpticsPlanet (lol yeah I know, everyone's favorite) is running a special on Aero Precision uppers. I'll look around though. Gonna be hard to stay within my $500 budget since I also need a BCG.

Question: Does 6.5 Grendel use standard AR-15 magazines?

Is this junk?

You'll need elander or asc mags. The 10 rounders generally feed pretty well. The 24-26 round mags sometimes struggle with the last round or two out of them.

You'll need elander or asc mags. The 10 rounders generally feed pretty well. The 24-26 round mags sometimes struggle with the last round or two out of them.
    I agree about the mags.
    I spoke with my BIL this morning about the 6.5 Grendel (he decided that his photography hobby is more important than his gun hobby). He is getting rid of a lot of his guns and just my luck, he has an entire 6.5 AR-15 Grendel he built that he wants to sell. He is going to figure out a price for me and send me the details. I told him keep the lower and I will buy everything else. This might be easier than I thought! I am sure he will include any ammo that he has which I suspect he has at least 100 rounds. I also doubt he has even 20 rounds through it. Fingers crossed!
    I have found the best handloads to be 123rd ELD-M with 8208XBR powder and SRM primers. 100gr bullets and AR Comp powder go well together too.
    BTW- Welcome to the dark side.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD

At $2/round I think a 10 rounder will be fine. This will be more of a aim, shoot, check with monocular, repeat type of gun. I am hoping for a 400-500 yard shooter.

I agree about the mags.

I have found the best handloads to be 123rd ELD-M with 8208XBR powder and SRM primers. 100gr bullets and AR Comp powder go well together too.
    BTW- Welcome to the dark side.

Thanks! I will keep this recipe on my reloading bench!

At $2/round I think a 10 rounder will be fine. This will be more of a aim, shoot, check with monocular, repeat type of gun. I am hoping for a 400-500 yard shooter.

Thanks! I will keep this recipe on my reloading bench!
    Excluding the cost of dies and brass, you can load premium loads for about $0.60-$0.65 per round.
    The Grendel can easily shoot minute of paper plate at 500yds if you do your part.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    And I'll also add in on the comments about accuracy. This group is at 100 yards.

DSC_0021_01.JPG
    l just add on to the comments about accuracy. This group was at 100 yards

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I have a RRA forged lower pre-ban along with a lower parts kit. Also have a Hera stock and foregrip. I need a complete upper with BCG. Not set on caliber it just needs to work with my lower. I don't want to spend more than $500. Any help appreciated. I'm kind of doing this build because I have this Hera stock set. I have no interest in a pistol build.

I already have .300BO and .556 ARs but doesn't mean I wouldn't build another in these calibers.

Late to the party here but I agree with others that you could use that pre-2013 lower for maybe a pencil barrel 5.56, but if you are looking to try something new I’ve been considering a 6mm ARC for a lower I’ve got sitting around. This is one of the options I was looking at with a match grade SS barrel with 5R rifling. And, it’s right in your budget.

You can always convert that lower to a Pre ban configuration later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom