• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    ak gas port bit is just a hair over 3.25 mm in diameter. i certainly know people neurotic enough to try and sharpen one that small.....but i'm not one of them. ;)

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    i'm well aware of how to do it. problem is, a $4 drill bit isn't made with good enough materials to be worth sharpening.

Are you using a quality tapping / drilling fluid ?
    All the little one's I use are Cobalt or Carbide HS bits.. most of the little one's I buy are about two bucks apiece or less. What size bits are you using please ? I have to use good bits with what I do. I am drilling AR 400 or 500 1/2" plate or 44-40 round stock. 1/4" and larger bits I use lockdrill bits. And they are a single strait flute with carbide tips.

If its a .063 bit that you are using, I believe that is a 1/16 th inch bit. I will be in my shop tomorrow afternoon and I will check if I have any good bits in that size. If I do I will send you a bit or two and see it they work better for you. If you are using a different size please let me know.

Shit I see your drilling a Ak I was thinking AR

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Those gas port drill bits are really easy to break. At the last build party awptickes snapped a brand new one while drilling out the gas port on my Maadi.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    So how long does the bit need to be ?
    And don't yell at me, I am trying to help you.
    The flutes are 1 3/4 " long X 3 = 5 1/4 " no way..... really that long ?
    I will look at my kids poly-tech tomorrow and see what you are drilling.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    bit needs to be a bare minimum of 4.5-5". perhaps "almost half as long as necessary" would have been a better comparison. I wasn't yelling, just adding emphasis that the gas block has to be on the rifle to use as a drilling guide for the proper angle. ;)

i've got more bits of the proper length (6") inbound already. ordered 'em saturday. i'd anticipate arrival tomorrow, cause Curtis is the man when it comes to timely delivery. :)

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    0.1285" diameter, 6" long.

Ok.so a 1/8th bit 6" long. Damn.... I will figure out what safe my kids rifle is in and look at it. I am not a AK guy at all. When you drill these holes do you start off with a shorter bit ?
    You would not get the flex from a short bit. Once you have a inch or so drilled go to the longer bit. You are doing this in a small mill. ??

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    if you can figure out a way to rig it up in a mill without having anything in which to clamp the work piece in said mill, then yes.

otherwise, bench vise and a hand drill, like the dozen or so other ones i've done.

i don't understand why people are thinking i need assistance here. i was just sharing an anecdote about something that happened while trying to drill the hole. i'm well experienced in the process. just thought i'd share a funny story is all. suddenly people are telling me to buy obscure tools i'll use once that cost well into 4 figures or more. :lol2:

always a better mousetrap....

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I think the bit could be a little shorter; maybe 4-3/4 to 5" long and still be long enough to work.

From AKBuilder:
    Size: 0.1285 In.
    Wire #30
    Flute Length: 1-5/8"
    Overall Length: 6"
    Material: Cobalt
    Point Angle°: 135

gas_port_drill_2.jpg

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I was just trying to see what you were doing and wanted to see how you skinned that cat.
    , And see if there was something I could offer you. If I still lived in Md I would offer my metal shop for build partys. I was going to get involved with the AK partys down in southern Md in Dentsville. But the man that was having them was a little to high strung for me. He's now I think on perma ban here. I saw him at the local welding supply one afternoon and that was enough for me. To drill what you are talking about I have a 2 hp Wilton floor drill press with coolant and a X&Y vice.

I too can laugh at myself when its necessary. Thanks

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Otherwise the tiny piece of drill bit still in the gas block will cause the three brand new bits you just bought to get dull as **** in a matter of seconds.

Being a veteran of literally THOUSANDS of broken drill bits and ez outs like any other aviation metalsmith here is, a scribe, punch or die grinder will usually get the sobs out. :o

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    The hole is already in the gas port so once it is pinned to the barrel, you use it as a guide to drill the barrel as shown in the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom