• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I never said the HQL was moral, or I liked it. But I can't tell you how pathetic I would feel if I said no more handguns for me over 13 dollars a year. that can't even get you two pit beef sandwiches any more.

It's kept my dad from buying a handgun. He only wants a single gun for plinking and can't justify the cost of the HQL on top of the gun. He's a cheap guy and grew up poor, so he can't bring himself to do it.

Lobbing insults are a bad way to start off on the forum by the way, especially in conjunction with defending a universally hated constitutional infringement.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    Well consider me young and inexperienced then. I turned 21 November of 13, so handguns sans HQL were impossible for me. And I did hunter sadety in lieu of handgun training.

Congrats on not letting them stop you. The whole plan is to slow us from passing on our heritage while waiting for us Olde Phartes to die off. Welcome.

Then I bought a handgun before I ever even fired one! Scared yet? Your argument is baseless. The HQL guarantees neither competence nor responsible behavior. Neither age nor training are needed to exercise a constitutional right. You should stop buying the lies.

You may be a little confused. Chipd isn't buying the lies. He's one of the guys selling the lies.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Whether or not the license has any social utility is irrelevant and doesn't diminish the fact that it's an infringement. I already had my one modern handgun before MD banned the unlicensed exercise of that right in 2013, so my "needs" were met. I knew that I wanted to leave MD long before that, so I was fine with waiting a few years to leave the state before buying more non-C&R handguns. I managed to move out of MD two years later. I encourage my friends back in MD to buy C&R handguns or do 80% builds.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    It isn't the $13 per year average cost of the permit, it is the fact that they are building a registry with the collected information. The intent of this law was never public safety. It is all about limiting access and creating a database to be used for confiscation at a later date! This law is the very opposite of The Second Amendment and infringes upon it greatly!

I am disabled and on a fixed income so every added expense is a burden. I am a veteran and was taught gun safety many years ago. My dad was cop so guns were always kept accessible in case of an emergency, I hunted most of my meat for years, etc...

Requiring someone like me to acquire a license to buy a handgun is ridiculous. Such a law could only have been written by idiots and fools!

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Whether or not the license has any social utility is irrelevant and doesn't diminish the fact that it's an infringement. I already had my one modern handgun before MD banned the unlicensed exercise of that right in 2013, so my "needs" were met. I knew that I wanted to leave MD long before that, so I was fine with waiting a few years to leave the state before buying more non-C&R handguns. I managed to move out of MD two years later. I encourage my friends back in MD to buy C&R handguns or do 80% builds.

Good point about the C&R route. A really great C&R solution for someone that wants a great general purpose gun is the Tokarev. I have a Romanian TT-C from the Cugir plant. They can be had for under $300 and the ammo is easy to get from places like Graf and Sons (grafs.com). It's usually under $20/50 and it's available in FMJ and JHP. At 1,400 to 1,500 FPS, it packs a real wallop. At 8+1, it provides sufficient capacity for home defense and not a ton of inconvenience at the range. If you like 1911s, the Tok will feel familiar as it is similar to the 1903 design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Good point about the C&R route. A really great C&R solution for someone that wants a great general purpose gun is the Tokarev. I have a Romanian TT-C from the Cugir plant. They can be had for under $300 and the ammo is easy to get from places like Graf and Sons (grafs.com). It's usually under $20/50 and it's available in FMJ and JHP. At 1,400 to 1,500 FPS, it packs a real wallop. At 8+1, it provides sufficient capacity for home defense and not a ton of inconvenience at the range. If you like 1911s, the Tok will feel familiar as it is similar to the 1903 design.

My recommendations have always been FN Hi-Power, CZ Vz.82, or S&W K frame .38 Special. The Hi Power and CZ aren't as cheap as they used to be, but for someone who just wants one auto handgun to use and have for home defense, paying out once isn't terrible. If you look hard enough, especially among the Israeli surplus guns, you can find C&R Hi Powers rebuilt with later external extractor slides. Internal extractors cost over $100 each when you can find one, so they're not ideal for heavy shooting.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    i paid 75 for the HQL, 55 for prints.. 0 dollars for collector status. for a grand total of 130 dollars. good for ten years. that's 13 dollars a year.

Then you would be in favor of paying up front to register your car for 10 years. You surely could afford a few thousand up front to be able to use your car, yes? Of course, that's on top of a 10-year driver's license... :innocent0

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    So is chipd being dogpiled on for defending the existance of the HQL or defending his capitulation to it? I want to know whether I should pile on or not. I don't fully understand some of his comments or their intent, but it seems like he's getting jumped on pretty hard...even in another thread (for seemingly less reason).

I dunno...maybe I'm misunderstanding something? :shrug:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    i paid 75 for the HQL, 55 for prints.. 0 dollars for collector status. for a grand total of 130 dollars. good for ten years. that's 13 dollars a year.

No, that's $130 up front before even filling out the paperwork for your 7 to 10 day wait. There are a lot of people who have to make VERY hard choices of how to allocate VERY limited funds. These fees are a significant entry barrier for more people than you seem capable of imagining.

"If the peasants have no bread, why do they not eat cake?"

Last edited:

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    So is chipd being dogpiled on for defending the existance of the HQL or defending his capitulation to it? I want to know whether I should pile on or not. I don't fully understand some of his comments or their intent, but it seems like he's getting jumped on pretty hard...even in another thread (for seemingly less reason).

I dunno...maybe I'm misunderstanding something? :shrug:

I read their statements as supporting the existance of the HQL.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I read their statements as supporting the existance of the HQL.

Oh....well, that's no good. I'm kinda hoping they come on here and say, "No, you misunderstand. I hate the HQL, but since it is currently the law of the land, I'm going to abide by it"

I like watching a hot headed noob smack down as much as anybody, :popcorn: but something about this just didn't feel right. Maybe my mother's intuition is off tonight...there could be more to it that I don't know about :shrug:

Just because we don't like bleeding hearts, doesn't mean we have to be heartless, right?

Alright...:puke:enough of this drivel out of me! I need to go play with my rifle (or my gun ;)) to reassert my manhood.

At least it doesn't look like they're trying to sell anything :D

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Oh....well, that's no good. I'm kinda hoping they come on here and say, "No, you misunderstand. I hate the HQL, but since it is currently the law of the land, I'm going to abide by it"

I like watching a hot headed noob smack down as much as anybody, :popcorn: but something about this just didn't feel right. Maybe my mother's intuition is off tonight...there could be more to it that I don't know about :shrug:

Just because we don't like bleeding hearts, doesn't mean we have to be heartless, right?

Alright...:puke:enough of this drivel out of me! I need to go play with my rifle (or my gun ;)) to reassert my manhood.

At least it doesn't look like they're trying to sell anything :D

I agree. I hate the HQL, but since it's the only way for me to get a modern handgun I have one. But I will not defend it's existence and I'll do what I can to see it gone. The person in question seemed to be justifying it, which is inexcusable IMO.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I agree. I hate the HQL, but since it's the only way for me to get a modern handgun I have one. But I will not defend it's existence and I'll do what I can to see it gone. The person in question seemed to be justifying it, which is inexcusable IMO.

The point seemed to be, "it's $130, what's the big deal?". The big deal is it could be free and it would still be wrong. There is no other constitutional right that anyone has to do anything to qualify to exercise.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    The point seemed to be, "it's $130, what's the big deal?". The big deal is it could be free and it would still be wrong. There is no other constitutional right that anyone has to do anything to qualify to exercise.

Ding ding ding!

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    you guys are amazing. have fun way out there.

Before you call us "way out there" can you name a single constitutional right that any American has to pay for or qualify for? It's a matter of principle. If we fail to stand for our principles, we will fall to those who stand firm for contrary principles.

chipd

May 20, 2017
    i didn't say it was right, legal, or moral. i just said it was silly to get all worried over. it is just libtard nonsense. they are reviving jim crow era gun laws. maryland has more jim crow laws on the books than only a couple other states. don't let jim crow law nonsense keep you down. no one is coming to hang you. they just want to keep the blacks down. now and forever. give them 1.75 pit beef sandwiches a year, and be done with it. you can't reason with liberals. they just want almost 2 sandwiches a year.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Civil rights must always be fought for to be maintained. If we tolerate injustice, injustice will be seen as just.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom