• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I keep hearing how hard O'Malley is pushing, how he's "twisting arms" and such, but what is he really doing to get them to his side? What does he have to bargain with, if their positions are all elected?

MH

Money, plain and simple. Campaign money, tax revenue, pet projects, etc. If you're a Democrat and the good Governor cuts you off, your life gets really hard and your political career is in jeopardy.

Knuckle66

One of the 365
    Mar 11, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Money, plain and simple. Campaign money, tax revenue, pet projects, etc. If you're a Democrat and the good Governor cuts you off, your life gets really hard and your political career is in jeopardy.

MoM isn't going to be there past 2014. I don't know what pull he really has now, he must have something though.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    MoM isn't going to be there past 2014. I don't know what pull he really has now, he must have something though.

I'm reasonably sure that he'll have a lot of influence with whomever ascends the throne, err, gets elected as Governor after him. If he promises to cut someone off, it will likely stick past his time in office. He may be out of the governor's mansion in 2014, but his political family goes waaaaaay back in Maryland.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Was there from noon until 4 today. Met with Dwyer for a few minutes then started knocking on doors for every HJC and HGO member mostly talked with staff but did talk to all of them.

I spent a solid 20 minutes with Vallario's assistant Webster Ye and he asked for parts of the bill we don't like (quote the paragraph) then list why it is bad and what we propose in place of it if anything. Email him at webster.ye@mlis.state.md.us and do it tonight! They are willing to put in amendments our side will support and take out the crap. We might just be able to tie them in knots and slow it down enough to kill it.

I also had a show & tell piece with me and a few staffers told me the same tired line of "AR-15's aren't accurate enough for target shooting." I had the black zone of an SR-1C from my last 100 yard offhand practice, shut them right up and a few photocopied it then asked questions about use of the AR in competitions. I explained that it is a modular platform and is used across a number of disciplines in various configurations to adapt it to the specific matches. I also told them I'm strictly High Power and explained the CMP Service Rifle rules and showed them pics of my National Match AR's. Dumais' staffer spent a solid 10 minutes learning.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Was there from noon until 4 today. Met with Dwyer for a few minutes then started knocking on doors for every HJC and HGO member mostly talked with staff but did talk to all of them.

I spent a solid 20 minutes with Vallario's assistant Webster Ye and he asked for parts of the bill we don't like (quote the paragraph) then list why it is bad and what we propose in place of it if anything. Email him at webster.ye@mlis.state.md.us and do it tonight! They are willing to put in amendments our side will support and take out the crap. We might just be able to tie them in knots and slow it down enough to kill it.

I also had a show & tell piece with me and a few staffers told me the same tired line of "AR-15's aren't accurate enough for target shooting." I had the black zone of an SR-1C from my last 100 yard offhand practice, shut them right up and a few photocopied it then asked questions about use of the AR in competitions. I explained that it is a modular platform and is used across a number of disciplines in various configurations to adapt it to the specific matches. I also told them I'm strictly High Power and explained the CMP Service Rifle rules and showed them pics of my National Match AR's. Dumais' staffer spent a solid 10 minutes learning.

Nice!

** Moms 4 2A **

Knuckle66

One of the 365
    Mar 11, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I just posted this.

If you are anti-gun violence then why aren't you asking your officials to crack down on violent offenders? The number is close to 70% of all gun crimes are done by repeat offenders. Instead of restricting the constitutional rights of everyone maybe our government should be going after the actual offenders.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Honestly, no one knows. I wouldn't be surprised if the anti's are feeding misinformation.

What we do know:

1.) The governor is pushing hard
    2.) If he had the votes, this would have been done already

A reminder to the whole body:

Sandy Hook was a despicable act of evil.

The Governor made the mistake of blaming lawful gun owners for the tragedy.

With the exception of some health care modifications, SB281 doesn’t contain a single item that addresses the criminal element.

Instead, the Bill sets in motion a myriad of arbitrary requirements that impact adversely on innocent constituents.

Governor O’Malley will chase his star in 2014.

Many of you will face re-election.

A vote for SB281 will not be forgotten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom