• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    I just posted this.

If you are anti-gun violence then why aren't you asking your officials to crack down on violent offenders? The number is close to 70% of all gun crimes are done by repeat offenders. Instead of restricting the constitutional rights of everyone maybe our government should be going after the actual offenders.

Nice...

But instead of "gun violence", we can say "criminal violence". Places the onus on the perp, not the tool.

I've tested this (randomly and on Mar1), and have gotten some very interesting light bulbs turning on!

Knuckle66

One of the 365
    Mar 11, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Nice...

But instead of "gun violence", we can say "criminal violence". Places the onus on the perp, not the tool.

I've tested this (randomly and on Mar1), and have gotten some very interesting light bulbs turning on!

Note taken I will make sure to use that from now on. Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Nice...

I always point out that we, too, are "Citizens Against Gun Violence", and that's why we are Pro-2A.

** Moms 4 2A **

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Nice...

I made sure today to go after criminals, crime, violent offenders but never used "gun violence". Told them prove to me they're serious about fighting the crime problem and to start by making it a law that firearms charges cannot be plead away as 76% are in MD now. That figure shocked most of them as did average firearms crime time served. All from MD AG's crime report.

Macsti

Jul 8, 2011
    Ceciltucky
    I made sure today to go after criminals, crime, violent offenders but never used "gun violence". Told them prove to me they're serious about fighting the crime problem and to start by making it a law that firearms charges cannot be plead away as 76% are in MD now. That figure shocked most of them as did average firearms crime time served. All from MD AG's crime report.

I really think "facts" are what they really need to hear, not rhetoric from the statehouse....:envy:

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

Be careful. Let courts have discretion its part of check and balance, just demand mga oversight and make them accountable before they demand new laws.

Ken Stanka

Mar 6, 2013
    Waldorf, MD
    I just posted this.

If you are anti-gun violence then why aren't you asking your officials to crack down on violent offenders? The number is close to 70% of all gun crimes are done by repeat offenders. Instead of restricting the constitutional rights of everyone maybe our government should be going after the actual offenders.

I can answer that.

Because doing something about criminals would yeild a benefit not visible for at least a year. In that time some attention has shifted from the issue and the "win" does not have as much impact.

Legislation is a "win" in a day, they can say "look what I did" when the issue is still hot, even if it is fake and ineffective.

It is a broken system that promotes greed and corruption (for both politicians and private sector) and violates its citizens. I cannot even speculate how it gets fixed.

I support you and your point of view for what its worth.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    mdeng will be along shortly since he is a Murphy constituent, but in essence, he doesn't like any of the bill, but is still reserving how he will vote until he sees the final bill. No word on how he would vote on specific amendments, but my take away from is that this bill does nothing to keep guns out of the hands of felons and only penalizes lawful firearms owners. It also only penalizes those that are seeking and working on their mental health issue and does nothing to keep firearms out of the hands of those that do the most damage.

DB

He touched on the two issues that the bill intended to address, one being about keeping the public safe, and the other, keeping guns out of hands of criminals and mentally Ill persons.

At the present moment, he says the bill does neither. The main focus was on the mental health aspect, the discriminatory elements present in the third reader, the ineffectiveness, so on and so forth.

We touched on finger printing, its superfluous nature in preventing straw purchases, and brought up Maryland NICS incompliance. He seemed to earnestly listen to what was being said, and told us that it was "very helpful". So we kindly asked for due consideration over the matters we discussed.

I don't have much to add other than his veiw of the bill is a complete 180 from his stance on it a month ago.

Keep up the preasure on him, call, email, STOP BY HIS OFFICE! I posted a request in the Southern Maryland section of the forum for his constituents to contact him, I was given grief by one member that it wouldn't change his mind. Well it sure as hell can't hurt!

Delegate Peter F. Murphy*Charles County, District 28*426 LHOB, 6 Bladen Street*Annapolis, Maryland 21401-1991*Phone: 301-858-3247 or 410-841-3247*Fax: 301-858-3259 or 410-841-3259*E-mail:*Peter.Murphy@house.state.md.us*

BamBam

Free Man
    Jan 23, 2013
    Sykesville, MD
    Everyone in Annapolis is now very aware of the term "straw purchase". Gives a good angle for discussion since they now feel 'smart' talking the talk. The delegates need help to understand that existing law provides sufficient penalty (a felony if you lie on 4473 forms and up to 5 years in prison) its just that NO ONE is ever put in jail for this crime in Maryland. Its not a deterrent if no one actually suffers. Fact - in a typical year there are 6 million firearm applications nationally, with some 76,000 being denied. Of those, only 44 are ever prosecuted, and just 13 punished!

Ask how many people in Maryland have EVER been jailed under current straw purchase laws? (no one knows, probably none) And since no one knows if they actually enforce current laws, how can they honestly propose additional laws?!?

The other OMalley gospel to reverse is that AR type rifles are rapid fire weapons of mass destruction. The points getting good traction are that (1) an AR fires no faster than a common pistol (2) it has only half the power of an ordinary deer rifle (3) its the most popular rifle owned in Maryland. Take away their argument that they should be banned as 'dangerous and unusual' weapons. And be sure to ask every delegate if anyone has EVER been killed by one of these rifles in Maryland. The 2 or 3 rifles deaths each year are probably hunting rifles. Does anyone know of a single case ever where an AR rifle was used to kill a person in Maryland? If there was any proof, we would have heard about it by now!

The biggest problem we face is that they hear us, and are even starting to understand us, and they know the bill is flawed in so many ways, and they understand this bill might not even help at all, fine...... BUT THEY HAVE TO DO SOMETHING. And even though this bill is perhaps unconstitutional, illegal, ineffective, they don't care.... Its more important to them to just do something right now, period.

We need to give them something else. A better plan. It can't just be to enforce existing laws better. Politics is all about sales pitches and sound bites, and that just isn't enough in this case. They need a new program/policy to put on the front page of every paper and declare victory to the majority Dems. And if we don't have a good alternative bill to pass, they will politely tolerate our protests/calls/emails for a few more days... and will in the end just go with the O'Malley plan.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Snip...

Ask how many people in Maryland have EVER been jailed under current straw purchase laws? (no one knows, probably none) And since no one knows if they actually enforce current laws, how can they honestly propose additional laws?!?

Snip...

I asked this question of my Senator and a Delegate, both had no clue. So I asked them to officially request the number of cases of straw purchases brought to SA Gansler's office and how many have been prosecuted in the last year, 5 years, 10 years?

I want to know the numbers and if they aren't prosecuting already existing cases then why not, and why do they need additional laws if they aren't enforcing/prosecuting the existing laws?

tenex

Oct 23, 2008
    ALERT!

The following notice is from
    Delegate Don Dwyer, Jr.
    Maryland General Assembly

Defending the Second Amendment in Maryland
    Dear Defenders of Liberty:

We have confirmed that SB 281 will be voted by the Joint Judiciary and Health and Goverment Operations Committee TOMORROW! That is Friday, March 29th.

WHAT HAPPENS NOW?
    If SB 281 gets a FAVORABLE Committee Vote, it will be on the House Floor on Monday, April 1st. Typically what happens then is that the bill will get special ordered for the next day, for the purpose of allowing time for the Amendments to be drafted. It is likely that floor debate could then take place on either Tuesday, April 2nd or Wednesday, April 3rd.
    ACTION TO TAKE
    Come to Annapolis tomorrow at 10 am and sit in the balcony of the House Chamber. This is having an effect!
    Immediately following Session make way to the Judiciary Committee Room en masse. Some of you may benifit by going directly to the Committee room instead of going to session, so that we can ensure the seats are filled with gun rights activists.
    Be prepared to return on every day next week until the vote is taken on the Floor. We will update daily as to the status, and the start time of Session for the following day.
    Share to your facebook and forward this to anyone who cares about this issue.
    Thank you for your continued and tireless efforts. I am proud to stand by your side as we fight this battle to preserve the very rights that our Founders knew to be our birthrights!

Constitutionally Yours,

Delegate Don Dwyer, Jr.
    Maryland General Assembly
    410-841-3047

AimsWellShootsWorse

Mar 2, 2011
    Prince George's County
    Does anyone know of a single case ever where an AR rifle was used to kill a person in Maryland?

Beltway snipers? One shot per victim, yes. But a Bushmaster, unfortunately.

No worries. Just gets risky making claims of never or always.

Me, I never make such categorical claims, but still I always seem to get something wrong. ;)

Keep up the good fight, partner! :party29:

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    Anyone over in Lawyer's Mall: you might want to head over to the House Office and help us pack the JPR Committee Room 100 — there are already 7 or so antis here, and about 2 dozen of friendlies.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Anyone over in Lawyer's Mall: you might want to head over to the House Office and help us pack the JPR Committee Room 100 — there are already 7 or so antis here, and about 2 dozen of friendlies.

We also need folks to help pack the Gallery for the session. Fill Jusiciary first and then the Gallery.

Let's rock this place.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    The gallery is only half full. We can follow them over as a large group when they get released to go to committee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom