It cost my Wife and I $7626.00 to legally Carry a Handgun in 44 States!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Holy cow! I am really impressed with the OP's list (Congratulations, Sir!) but sad that he had to spend so much to exercise his constitutional right. I am hoping for good news from SCOTUS this summer.

Cal68

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    I’m lucky. My WV license covers me in 37 states (I think that’s the current count). I only really travel around the area (WV, VA, MD, PA) so if there was a way to get MD I would be set.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    PA has a $20 cap on the fee by law, and 90% of the time is less than 5 days to issue one. Mail it in, and it's $20 and a stamp, do the online and they add a $5 "convenience fee"

thanatron

MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2012
    I renewed my FL non res permit a few months ago. I submitted my photo using my cell phone and had my prints done at a small business in Gaithersburg http://www.americanident.com/

I submitted everything online and had my update ID card in 3 weeks.

No need to have an LEO do them.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    The Carry Permit Process can be a convoluted, laborious, and expensive process depending on where you want to carry. Depending on the State/Jurisdiction, the Carry Permit Process is nearly impossible …

… have Carry Permits from Maryland, Pennsylvania, Washington D.C., Utah, Florida, Maine, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island. We are in process for our Connecticut and Massachusetts Carry Permits. …

$6579.00 is not a typo. That number does not include the cost of our Carry Firearms, Purchase Licensing/Paperwork Fees, or Carry Equipment.

Insane isn’t it?

U.S. Supreme Court, are you listening?

What an incredibly awesome, comprehensive and informative dissert!

Kudos to y’all (MDS is a pretty darn wide audience but, your post would probably benefit an even wider, National audience of CCW supporters and activists).

I couldn’t help but think about how now that I’m retired, it’d take at least $6,579.00 to get me to even want to go to MD, CT or MA … actually, any state where the permit process is convoluted, laborious or hints at the impo$$ible …

Like the Vatican, I imagine the USSC have a hard time hearing past their funded security details and bubbles …

Still, you and the missus have got to be members of a pretty small % of American private citizens (who aren’t DemonRat Party payrollers, anyway)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Holy cow! I am really impressed with the OP's list (Congratulations, Sir!) but sad that he had to spend so much to exercise his constitutional right. I am hoping for good news from SCOTUS this summer.

Cal68
    Thank you. I too am praying for good news from SCOTUS.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What an incredibly awesome, comprehensive and informative dissert!

Kudos to y’all (MDS is a pretty darn wide audience but, your post would probably benefit an even wider, National audience of CCW supporters and activists).

I couldn’t help but think about how now that I’m retired, it’d take at least $6,579.00 to get me to even want to go to MD, CT or MA … actually, any state where the permit process is convoluted, laborious or hints at the impo$$ible …

Like the Vatican, I imagine the USSC have a hard time hearing past their funded security details and bubbles …

Still, you and the missus have got to be members of a pretty small % of American private citizens (who aren’t DemonRat Party payrollers, anyway)
    Thank you for the kind words. I'm sure we are a small minority of, non L.E., non wealthy, and non politically connected who can carry in so many places.

We do have plans to travel for our business and will be limiting our destinations to places that allow us to carry. That was our primary motivation outside of getting our resident carry permits.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I doubt anyone in a law making capacity is aware of this information. I also doubt many of them care but that's besides the point. I hope there's a way you can get this info out to a wider audience. It looks like there's no equity in the second amendment.

Worse than the cost to carry is the cost to not carry when it costs you the wellbeing of yourself or a loved one.

Great thread.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I’m lucky. My WV license covers me in 37 states (I think that’s the current count). I only really travel around the area (WV, VA, MD, PA) so if there was a way to get MD I would be set.
    WV has some great reciprocity. I think you can carry in CO. I can't because they don't accept MD.

MD does allow for business owners from out of state to get a MD permit. You need to do business in Maryland to qualify. Last I was told you need at least 6 invoices showing business activity in MD.

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I doubt anyone in a law making capacity is aware of this information. I also doubt many of them care but that's besides the point. I hope there's a way you can get this info out to a wider audience. It looks like there's no equity in the second amendment.

Worse than the cost to carry is the cost to not carry when it costs you the wellbeing of yourself or a loved one.

Great thread.
    Agreed. I doubt any "policy maker" cares about the burdens these permit schemes put on law abiding Americans.

I hope this information makes some people aware the permit system is completely unfair and a legal minefield when traveling.

Thank you for the kind words.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    In PA can't you just ask for permission from the CLEO? Seems like PA has more common sense than Marilandistan?
    From my understanding it's very easy for a PA Resident to get a carry permit.

Non Residents have to have a home state permit first and then they have to find a PA Sheriff's Department willing to issue a Non Resident Permit. Not all PA Sheriffs will accept a non resident permit from my understanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom