Laws on Shooting an attacking dog in Montgomery County?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chopsocky

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 15, 2012
    Can someone help me out? Do I have to get attacked and actually be bitten first before I can legally shoot a neighbor's dog?

Now I'm not talking about a barking and growling dog on their side of the fence. I'd just have to keep my distance.

But what if this Pit Bull jumped the fence (which this dog certainly can do, easily) and charges me or my elderly mother and her little 7 lb, wimpy dog? Do I have to wait until one of us get bitten first or can I legally shoot it when it hops the fence and being aggressive?

Just about very time I'm out in my yard and/or walking near the fence bordering our yards, the dog charges towards me and bites the shiz out of the metal linked fence. Full jaws clamping and yanking on the metal fence, growling like crazy while the other Pit Bull stays right behind, barking & growling.

Because if it gets my mother, it may kill her or I may not shoot and risk her getting shot with hollowpoints, as an old woman is not going to do well with HP's in her. Her little dog will definitely die from just one clamp of this Pit Bull's jaw, easily.

Last edited:

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Not sure but one thing is

The dog would not make it to any of my family members , I would deal with the consequences with a clear conscience that I protected my family

chopsocky

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 15, 2012
    I hear what you're saying, that's a good point.

How about carrying a concealed and loaded gun on my own property w/o a permit? I am allowed to do so and all the way up to the where my front lawn touches the sidewalk, right?

chopsocky

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 15, 2012
    I kind of agree. Bear spray should work most of the time, although there's a video on YouTube where a Pit Bull attacked another dog and the PB's owner himself, was bashing his own dog in the head & body with a baseball bat, while 2 guy's were stomping it with their Timberland boots, and one even emptied an entire can of Pepper Spray into the Pit Bull's face.....and it still wouldn't let go, but finally did after some more stomping.

Everyone were in shock as to how resilient that Pit Bull was. I'll try to find this video to see if it was just plain regular spray or Bear Spray.

And I also hear what you're saying about talking to the neighbors. They're Section 8a people who are getting rent paid by the county, so it may be challenge, but I'll still try.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Why are you asking? Has the dog shown itself to be aggressive? Has it escaped the yard before and been aggressive or attacked anyone? If there is a worry, you can always contact animal control to make sure the dog has a license and is up to date on rabies vaccines.

If this is just a fear of the breed, then get a grip.

chopsocky

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 15, 2012
    Are your neighbors reasonable enough to even talk to? Many here will disagree BUT if my families lives were at stake and you KNOW it's going to attack some day......
    You might want to report t to the law ect ect.....

I may check with the owners who are renting their home. Most insurance carriers won't allow Pit Bulls in their Home Owner's Insurance. It specifically states, no Pit Bulls. This will usually cancel the insurance policy if they find out. Worse, they will reject claims should the Pit Bull attacks people and they try to get the medical claims and punitive damages from lawsuits, covered under their HOI.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Cap spray ect is VERY temp at best, dogs can shrug it off in a minute. :sad20: I've used it..... white trash neighbors at ex inlaws literally pulled planks off privacy fence as soon as they discovered they could. Cap spray last a minute maybe. They eventually killed inlaws Yorkie, pulled in 2 in tug a war match. Owner paid the 800 for the yorkie and destroyed the 3 viscous guard dogs. :sad20: Shepard, Rottie and oh yes... a Pit.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    They're Section 8a people who are getting rent paid by the county, so it may be challenge, but I'll still try.

Such BS. Not to threadjack. Be careful out there. Make sure they don't have any gats themselves....

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Touchy situation for sure. I would do whatever I had to do, but many here feel it is NEVER OK to shoot a dog. NO MATTER WHAT, especially those sweet lovable cuddly non-aggressive pit bulls.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Why are you asking? Has the dog shown itself to be aggressive? Has it escaped the yard before and been aggressive or attacked anyone? If there is a worry, you can always contact animal control to make sure the dog has a license and is up to date on rabies vaccines.

I read the OP and my take was that the dog is acting in a way that has the man fearing for his Mother's safety, not to mention himself and their small dog. Did you not see it that way? Put yourself in this exact situation...would you just get a grip?

chopsocky

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 15, 2012

Hell yeah there's a fear of a breed that's known to be aggressive and was specifically created to attack and kill bulls for sport and then other dogs for hundreds of years. And these Pit Bulls are rushing the fence at me whenever I'm walking around inside my own yard. I fight for a hobby, KO'ed plenty of people, and can take a massive beating as part of a good workout, but it's my old mother that I'm worried about. I'd have no problem gutting something that was attacking my mother, but were not talking about a little yappy dog, giving her a little scratch. She's going to get pretty F'ed up or maybe die, as she's about 1/2 the size of this lady, who was attacked by her grandkids' Pit Bull...our case, it would be a stranger's Pit Bull, making it more volatile probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DemxKPgCI_Q

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Your duty is to retreat in Maryland.

You must run from yard to yard to yard.

You may shoot when there are no more yards to run to.

Personally, I say shoot if a human is seriously attacked.

I wouldn't shoot a dog for attacking another dog though.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    As I have heard, the dog has more rights than you and shooting it could place you in legal trouble.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Hell yeah there's a fear of a breed that's known to be aggressive and was specifically created to attack and kill bulls for sport and then other dogs for hundreds of years. And these Pit Bulls are rushing the fence at me whenever I'm walking around inside my own yard. I fight for a hobby, KO'ed plenty of people, and can take a massive beating as part of a good workout, but it's my old mother that I'm worried about. I'd have no problem gutting something that was attacking my mother, but were not talking about a little yappy dog, giving her a little scratch. She's going to get pretty F'ed up or maybe die, as she's about 1/2 the size of this lady, who was attacked by her grandkids' Pit Bull...our case, it would be a stranger's Pit Bull, making it more volatile probably.

So there is no real evidence of the dog being aggressive to people? A dog "acting" aggressive towards a stranger on the other side of a fence is very common. It's known as barrier aggression and does not necessarily mean the dog is people aggressive. Your whole breed issues are something unrelated to this situation. I have been around the breed for decades and have never come across a "vicious" pit bull. I know they exist, but so do vicious sherpherds, rottweilers, huskies and mutts.

Your original post did not indicate the animal was aggressive at all. You just asked if you could shoot a pit bull if it attacked you or your elderly mother. I would say you can shoot anything that threatens you or your family no matter of breed, sex, race or economic status.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

Yup, do whatever YOU have to do. Fools think Pits are great...... until it's their kid that gets mauled or scared for life. :sad20:

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I read the OP and my take was that the dog is acting in a way that has the man fearing for his Mother's safety, not to mention himself and their small dog. Did you not see it that way? Put yourself in this exact situation...would you just get a grip?

That's what you read into it. What I took away was someone who is not comfortable around dogs, or just this particular dog and that may have to do with the certain breed of this dog.

If you have to ask at what point it is "legal" to defend yourself, then you likely have other issues at work. As far as being in this exact situation, there is a long way to go between a dog barking and acting aggressive on the other side of a fence and having to shoot a dog for mauling yourself or a family member.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Hell yeah there's a fear of a breed that's known to be aggressive and was specifically created to attack and kill bulls for sport and then other dogs for hundreds of years. And these Pit Bulls are rushing the fence at me whenever I'm walking around inside my own yard.

Sooo...the dog just barks at you and you saw a youtube video that makes dogs look scary? :sad20:

I'd suggest you stick to the bear spray and mind your own. Go fight someone for fun - maybe you'll feel better. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom